Trip Insurance

Eastern flygirl

A lot of conversation of trip insurance has been posted.  Has anyone used “The Trip Insurance Co.” and made a claim?  

My concern is, if I need them, will they provide.  I want coverage, just not sure what the most reliable company would be the best.  

Any feedback would be appreciated.  

I think most here would recommend a broker who could help you.  insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com are mentioned frequently.  I have used insuremytrip.com many times.  Either of these brokers can help you choose the right policy for you.

We have Allianz annual travel insurance. We had a medical bill of over $8K after DW was treated for the "we don't know what it is but it isn't noro" cruise. 

Allianz paid the entire bill within three weeks after we submitted the claim.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

If you have a claim, you will be dealing with the insurance company directly.....not the company that sold you the insurance.  Think of insurance like buying a car....when you have a problem, you don't go back to the salesman, you go to service.  

17 hours ago, SeaPete said:

I didn't think the annual plans covered medical evacuation.  Am I missing something?

We have an annual polichy through MedJet Assist. Be aware of the language in each plan so that you do not find yourself stuck in a hospital in a location where you do not wish to stay or be treated. There are many policies that cover evacuation to the nearest qualified medical facility, or at a doctors directive We wanted a policy that gives us a choice to get to a facility, of our choice, near our home if we need continued care. The only qualifiers are that we need to be more than 150 miles from home, stable to transport and require continued care/treatment. 

FWIW, the other coverage we need is covered through our Chase Sapphire Reserve card.

Edited by sippican

1 hour ago, sippican said:

We have an annual policy through MedJet Assist. Be aware of the language in each plan so that you do not find yourself stuck in a hospital in a location where you do not wish to stay or be treated. There are many policies that cover evacuation to the nearest qualified medical facility, or at a doctors directive We wanted a policy that gives us a choice to get to a facility, of our choice, near our home if we need continued care. The only qualifiers are that we need to be more than 150 miles from home, stable to transport and require continued care/treatment. 

It's important to understand that MedJet Assist (which we also carry) transports you from a hospital more than 150 miles away from your home to the hospital/facility of your choice.  Focus on "from a hospital"... . that means that they don't cover you getting to that first hospital and if you are checked out of a foreign hospital, they won't transport you.  That's not a negative...but you have to understand what they do and don't cover.  

Having said that, if we are in a remote hospital somewhere, I don't want that hospital to say "we can treat" whatever I have....and that's what most policies require...the agreement of the insurance company and the doctor to say that you need to be moved or should be moved.  Medjet only requires that you a) be in the hospital and b) the remote hospital doctor has to agree that you are stable enough to be moved/flown home and c) you need continued care/treatment.  There is a VERY big difference and that's why we carry MedJet Assist.

Edited by ghstudio

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

It's important to understand that MedJet Assist (which we also carry) transports you from a hospital more than 150 miles away from your home to the hospital/facility of your choice.  Focus on "from a hospital"... . that means that they don't cover you getting to that first hospital and if you are checked out of a foreign hospital, they won't transport you.  That's not a negative...but you have to understand what they do and don't cover.  

Having said that, if we are in a remote hospital somewhere, I don't want that hospital to say "we can treat" whatever I have....and that's what most policies require...the agreement of the insurance company and the doctor to say that you need to be moved or should be moved.  Medjet only requires that you a) be in the hospital and b) the remote hospital doctor has to agree that you are stable enough to be moved/flown home and c) you need continued care/treatment.  There is a VERY big difference and that's why we carry MedJet Assist.

I am replying because you quoted me. At the end of my origianl post, which you did not quote, I stated  that our credit card has the extra coverage we need. It does include basic evacuation, so I do understand my coverage. (But perhaps you were making sure that others understand the difference?)

I suggest OP use the Cruise Critic search feature to bring up a number of threads and posts where ins info  is shared..also the ins thread..

..Everyone has diff needs and their own ins resouces.

We take the ship's ins policy plus a sep policy for  med costs  ( Medicare does not cover  us outside US nor does our secondary policy);  and for  EVAC..( very important)

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

If you have a claim, you will be dealing with the insurance company directly.....not the company that sold you the insurance.  Think of insurance like buying a car....when you have a problem, you don't go back to the salesman, you go to service.  

I was suggesting a broker since the OP seemed to need assistance with finding the right coverage.  Yes once you find the right policy you will be dealing with the insurance company itself when it comes to claims.  The key is to find the right policy from a company with a good reputation.  This is what the broker should help with.

54 minutes ago, sippican said:

I am replying because you quoted me. At the end of my origianl post, which you did not quote, I stated  that our credit card has the extra coverage we need. It does include basic evacuation, so I do understand my coverage. (But perhaps you were making sure that others understand the difference?)

I was trying to add some information to your post....to further clarify for others.