Ushuaia to Cape Town Feb 25th 2019

carefreecruise

Well this is my backup for the cancelation of Scenic's new Eclipse. Should not of jumped ship and stuck with Silversea, happy they had room for me to get in at a late date.

I do see they raised the price on the two back-to-back voyages we are on by 30% and most of the rooms are sold out!

So looking forward to going but bumped the pre-trip to Easter Island was sold out.

Hopefully all the CC members over on roll-call can now post here... Just FYI, Silver Cloud does not show a "meet and mingle" and don't know why? 

Ushuaia to Cape Town Map.jpg

Edited by carefreecruise

I'll be joining you on Mar. 7 for the second leg.

I'd love to do your back-to-back, but I've been to Antarctica twice: once working (Coast Guard), and once as a pax on a cruise ship. I'll be doing: San Diego to Lima - 15 days on the Volendam, Cuzco, Machu Picchu, La Paz, Santiago while you're at home (I assume) and in Antarctica.

I just looked at fares for 'our' cruises (separately and combined) :classic_blink:... and am glad I booked a year-and-a-half ago. :classic_biggrin: 

What happened with the Eclipse... is it still in the shipyard?

You could always organize a couple of 'meet & mingles' if you want to.

Silversea doesn't officially sponsor meet and mingles for their expedition fleet. We had about 20 on a Silver Explorer voyage last year, and we complained about the inability to sign up for M&M on the roll call, so I wrote to CC. They contacted SS on our behalf and arranged one for us, which was pretty great! 

Suggest that you try that approach if you get the numbers on the roll call.

Have a great trip! Would love to go Cape to Cape some day...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 3:07 PM, Bill B said:

I just looked at fares for 'our' cruises (separately and combined) :classic_blink:... and am glad I booked a year-and-a-half ago. :classic_biggrin: 

What happened with the Eclipse... is it still in the shipyard?

We were also surprised fares have risen 30% since we booked and are still rising.

On the Scenic Eclipse we have been bumped off two voyages and had to work hard to recover airfare cost for both trips.  Gave up on the Eclipse and that's why we are now on the Cloud. We hear the shipyard may go into bankruptcy in the next two weeks and the Eclipse may be taken as assets and be sold to cover investors. Not a good deal for Scenic.    

I just looked at a live webcam in Ushuaia and saw the Cloud docked with some other vessels. We will be joining the Cloud in March in Cape Town to sail up the west side of Africa. I had thought about taking the Cloud repositioning cruise from Ushuaia to Cape Town, instead of flying to Cape Town. But that seemed like a lot of days aboard ship when combined with our Cape Town to Lisbon cruise. So we're flying to Cape Town. Please post something to tell us about the Cloud when you sail. LittleRedJohn

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the the upcoming March 2019 cruise from Ushuaia to Capetown. Does anyone know if if we are going to be making wet landings and need boots? Have tried multiple times to get info from Silversea with no luck. Don't want to waste money renting or buying if they aren't needed.

Also - would be interested in any meet and greets or social activities especially since I'm traveling solo.

Thanks for any assistance with boot issue.

Carla

22 minutes ago, Carlinet said:

I am on the the upcoming March 2019 cruise from Ushuaia to Capetown. Does anyone know if if we are going to be making wet landings and need boots? Have tried multiple times to get info from Silversea with no luck. Don't want to waste money renting or buying if they aren't needed.

Also - would be interested in any meet and greets or social activities especially since I'm traveling solo.

Thanks for any assistance with boot issue.

Carla

Been on enough landing to say; no one can be sure to give you a detailed description of every landing before its decided where there even going to land. Although I did hear that the Cloud has plenty of extra boots to borrow if needed. We are planning on using the Clouds boots also but I do bring a dozen heavy ply, narrow bags I found to use for wet landings if needed when I don't have the right shoes. 

Silver Cloud does not have a "meet and mingle" so maybe when everybody is settled in on the voyage, they can use this thread to organize one during one of those many sea days...   

• Like 1

The cruise goes via South Georgia so almost certainly will be wet landings.The only way there won't be is if a storm prevents the landings and that may happen.would be a pity as south Georgia is the highlight.

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

The cruise goes via South Georgia so almost certainly will be wet landings.The only way there won't be is if a storm prevents the landings and that may happen.would be a pity as south Georgia is the highlight.

I know about South Georgia and missed it and the Falklands a few years ago. So this time we picked a voyage that  plans on staying five days at South Georgia. Hopefully we will get a day or two in, if bad weather rears it's ugly head. 

After this trip, we will have six Drake passage crossings and experienced my share of bad weather. One Seabourn ship we were on said it was the worst weather the ship has seen since it was built. Knocking the outdoor furniture of of deck eight with waves. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Look forward to reading what you think of the place after you visit as we'll be there in 2020.

From the looks of your avatar you will not be needing any additional Merino wool under garments. Maybe some custom four finger gloves....

I will let you know what wildlife we encounter. But just FYI: No matter how tempting it is, there is NO eating any fresh fish or seals while on excursions. You will need to wait till you get back aboard the ship. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

From the looks of your avatar you will not be needing any additional Merino wool under garments. Maybe some custom four finger gloves....

I will let you know what wildlife we encounter. But just FYI: No matter how tempting it is, there is NO eating any fresh fish or seals while on excursions. You will need to wait till you get back aboard the ship. 

LOL!  Very good carefreecruise.  But, remember, us Bumbles who stumble enjoy reindeer, especially those with bright red noses that glow.  However, we will forgo said reindeer anytime a nice fat pig shows up oinking.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out the Scenic Eclipse as been delayed again for additional four month. A bunch of disappointed customers booking for April will now need to fight for refunds. Sure glad we jumped ship for the Cloud, a true and tried ship with a great crew... 

Hope the weather is going to be as nice as "Travelgal" had in another post on this site...

Looking forward to our back-to-back cruise with great people and Penguins....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Have a great trip! Not too long to go now...

Thanks JP.  Funny thing about traveling so much; you meet a lot of nice people along the way.  They enlighten your understanding of their country and ways. Helping you  better comprehend how the world works.

On this trip,  we will be visiting with some in Santiago, Chile and Cape Town.

I am sure its happening to you also...

2 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

Thanks JP.  Funny thing about traveling so much; you meet a lot of nice people along the way.  They enlighten your understanding of their country and ways. Helping you  better comprehend how the world works.

On this trip,  we will be visiting with some in Santiago, Chile and Cape Town.

I am sure its happening to you also...

Absolutely! Some of our past travel companions and tour guides have become like old friends, and we try to meet up whenever we are in the same part of the world.

We were on a big South America trip last month, and halfway through we needed to get from Chile to Argentina. So while planning the trip, we reached out to one of those special tour guides we've used in the past for some ideas. And voila, a private 3-day wine-tasting tour was organized for us, starting with our pickup at the hotel in Santiago and ending at the airport in Mendoza. Our guide was just as delightful as she had been in the past. Hoping to see her again when we are in Santiago this January for our Cloud cruise.

Our very first river cruise director has also become a long-time acquaintance, and someone who we keep in touch with frequently. We have met up with her in Germany a few times since our cruise, and we always ask her advice about traveling in that part of the world. 

And on a more immediate note, we are off to New York tomorrow to meet up with a friend from Australia whom we've cruised and traveled with a couple of times.

Travel really does expand much more than just your waistline... The world is full of amazing people, and the more of them you spend time with, the more rich your experience is.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:32 AM, jpalbny said:

Absolutely! Some of our past travel companions and tour guides have become like old friends, and we try to meet up whenever we are in the same part of the world.

We were on a big South America trip last month, and halfway through we needed to get from Chile to Argentina. So while planning the trip, we reached out to one of those special tour guides we've used in the past for some ideas. And voila, a private 3-day wine-tasting tour was organized for us, starting with our pickup at the hotel in Santiago and ending at the airport in Mendoza. Our guide was just as delightful as she had been in the past. Hoping to see her again when we are in Santiago this January for our Cloud cruise.

Our very first river cruise director has also become a long-time acquaintance, and someone who we keep in touch with frequently. We have met up with her in Germany a few times since our cruise, and we always ask her advice about traveling in that part of the world. 

And on a more immediate note, we are off to New York tomorrow to meet up with a friend from Australia whom we've cruised and traveled with a couple of times.

Travel really does expand much more than just your waistline... The world is full of amazing people, and the more of them you spend time with, the more rich your experience is.

Glad to hear others have really enjoyed the guides company enough to stay connected. We also use a lot of daily and weekly guides we have stayed connected with too.

Leaving in two days for Santiago to catch the Cloud and looked at the "Base Esperanza, Antarctica 10 Day Weather". Weather looks great till the day we get there, then snow and snow showers for five days. O-well may not be the best picture days but will make the best of it... 

1 hour ago, LittleRedJohn said:

We board the  Cloud in Cape Town on March 28. We've never been on the ship. Please post your first impressions of the ship after you're on for a day or two. Thanks. LittleRedJohn

This ship is not new to us, as a matter of fact; was just looking at a picture taken a couple of years ago of the wife under the bow of the Cloud at Cape Town, in front of the Table Bay Hotel.

The Cloud and the Wind have a special feel over other ships. When your on the Explorer or Galapagos ship, you feel and know right-away it feels like a personal exploration type vessel. When your on the "Muse" type ships, you get the feeling of a grand cruise liner. But the "Cloud" class brings both worlds together, leaving you comfortable no matter where it take you.  

So enjoy your western Africa cruise....

I know some have been asking about the Sheraton Hotel and it is located near a large park with the zoo co-located on the same hillside. One can spend a full day exploring the park and taking a sky-way tram across the mountain. We found a nice restaurant frequented by locals located at the base of the main mountain park, about a 12 minute walk. 

At the hotel, you are allowed to go to the 21st floor Lounge, but it can be very crowded for free drinks and food. We are leaving at 4:30AM for the airport to fly 3.5 hours to Ushuaia. As usual all bags to be located outside your room by 10:00 PM. Will have to say Santiago treats you well and does not over charge you at any locations. 

Edited by carefreecruise
  • Like 1

Santiago has its charm. I like the wine regions immediately outside the city more...but we had a nice time at the Ritz when we were there last month.

Have a great flight down to the End of the Earth and I hope you see some nice scenery along the way. When we flew Santiago-Puerto Natales last month we had great views of the glaciers on the Argentina side as we flew over the mountains. So, here's hoping the sun rises early enough for you to have that same chance.

Looking forward to more details about your trip when you have time and internet access. So many nice destinations along this itinerary. Wish we had the time to do this. Enjoy it!

PS - if one of the agency folks who is taking you to the airport is named Jeanette, tell her that JP and Chris say hello!

Edited by jpalbny

Was concerned about the weight restrictions on the flight down to pick up the ship and with their threatening letter and found it means nothing. Your luggage is picked up outside your hotel room at night and are sent directly to Ushuaia. Your carry-on is also not weighted. You just go directly to the flight with a boarding pass they give you the day before.