Crown & Anchor benefits - am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

I have no idea - is there some secret no monetary way to earn points? 

The RCI credit card perhaps? 

Nope, no other way to earn cruise points other than cruising. 

You can maximize your points though.  Sail by yourself (or send your SO alone) on a cruise in a suite.  You will get 3 points per night.

5 hours ago, stringbean10 said:

Reading through these boards and seeing mentions of reaching various milestones with the c&a,  I decided to take a look at the levels and the benefits. 

The bump from gold (3)  to platinum (30)  is a lapel pin, robes and an event. 

Platnium (30)  to emerald (55) is welcome water and beverage selection? 

Emerald (55) to Diamond (80) - 

Milestone recognition (what is this?), 

Chef's choice gift (what is this typically?),

Priority wait list for spa and excursions (is this useful?), 

Priority departure (nice!),

Diamond club (what is this like?) 

Exclusive nightly Diamond event (what happens at these events?), 

Daily breakfast with specialty coffee, 

Entertainment tour

Diamond (80) to Diamond plus (175)  

Behind the Scenes Tours 

Personalized Gift/Amenity (per household) 

Concierge Club Access 

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events

Meal with an Officer for members with 340 or more cruise points

Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340 or more cruise points

Bonus Gift for members with 340 or more cruise points (per household)

Bonus Gift for members with 525 or more cruise points (per household)

After reaching 'diamond plus' the next level is pinnacle - 175 pts to reach diamond plus and 700 to reach pinnacle.  The benefits don't seem to match the extreme difference in point requirements. RCI lists a lapel pin and a pass with 'exclusive privileges - what are those? 

The reason I ask, is I am wondering it is worth it to stay loyal to one cruise line or to shop around and go on different lines for other experiences.  I'm not crazy about a bunch of nicknacks or pins - I don't know,  it seems like a lot of these benefits can be had by purchasing star class -or the starclass benefits seem to be even better! where is the included internet, speciality dining or beverage package?  

People who have reached these various levels on RCI - what do you like about the program?  What is your favorite perk?  

I think I would like the 'club,' free drinks, robe, priority seating and departure the most.   I don't think I would be interested in the 'gifts' - what do they tend to be? or the 'recognition/acknowledgment' type benefits.  Thanks in advance for your responses!

In my opinion, there is no loyalty program that makes it worth it to be loyal to any line. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Nope, no other way to earn cruise points other than cruising. 

You can maximize your points though.  Sail by yourself (or send your SO alone) on a cruise in a suite.  You will get 3 points per night.

Yikes!  

I thought for sure someone was going to say "every 1k spent on the credit card is a point" or something like that. 

Though a solo cruise in a suite sounds amazing to me right now, it's just not a viable option.  

It also seems like an extreme option at any level...a 3-day cruise alone in a suite, would get you 9 points. If I wanted to book an interior for my husband, we would get another 3 - 12 pt total?  What could possibly the minimum I would be out in this senario?  The cheapest way to accrue points... $1500- Idk. 

What if I  saved the cost of a suite AND an interior room - and just bought the things I like and use?  Loosing out on a plate of fruit loops and 3 free well drinks doesn't seem like much of a loss.  For $1500 I could get the ultimate dining package, the ultimate drink package and possibly the key. 

I guess it is just something that may have to just happen...meanwhile, I'll continue comparing prices between all the other cruise lines rather than just sticking with RCI. 

7 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

Yikes!  

I thought for sure someone was going to say "every 1k spent on the credit card is a point" or something like that. 

Though a solo cruise in a suite sounds amazing to me right now, it's just not a viable option.  

It also seems like an extreme option at any level...a 3-day cruise alone in a suite, would get you 9 points. If I wanted to book an interior for my husband, we would get another 3 - 12 pt total?  What could possibly the minimum I would be out in this senario?  The cheapest way to accrue points... $1500- Idk. 

What if I  saved the cost of a suite AND an interior room - and just bought the things I like and use?  Loosing out on a plate of fruit loops and 3 free well drinks doesn't seem like much of a loss.  For $1500 I could get the ultimate dining package, the ultimate drink package and possibly the key. 

I guess it is just something that may have to just happen...meanwhile, I'll continue comparing prices between all the other cruise lines rather than just sticking with RCI. 

You would only get 9.

you and your husband are linked.  Your family total shows as the higher of the 2 totals but you each have your own points. .

if you started out at 0 and you did as you said you would have 9 your husband would have 3 but you would both show as having 9.

Don’t forget that when comparing ships you compare similar ships.  Within each line there are quite a variety of ships, some are old anD some are new, some cater to families and some don’t etc...

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Chef's Choice amenity is typically some sort of snack plate delivered in the afternoon while you are in port.  Things like chocolate covered strawberries, cheese plate, petit fours, etc.

Even at D+ it has been a long time since I have seen one of those

3 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Really?  Probably depends on the F&B manager.  We had them every few days on the Jewel TA last month.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Really?  Probably depends on the F&B manager.  We had them every few days on the Jewel TA last month.

Just spent 16 days on Vision and was lucky to see our plate of welcome cookies three days into the cruise but nothing else. Probably too busy with the 92 Pinnacles that were on board. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PCWalton1 said:

Just spent 16 days on Vision and was lucky to see our plate of welcome cookies three days into the cruise but nothing else. Probably too busy with the 92 Pinnacles that were on board. :classic_laugh:

Here we go.:classic_ohmy:

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Here we go.:classic_ohmy:

Not to disparage the pinnacles too much but the ship was pretty thin on some of the amenities. We had to go begging for our welcome gift (Marie likes those C&A towels for presents). Before boarding Millie from C&A sent a letter stating since CL was off limits to D+ the Diamond Lounge coffee machine would be over worked so we could get complimentary specialty coffees in the Dining Room and Cafe Lattetudes but once we got on board the ship cut off the Cafe Lattetudes since it would conflict with paying customers. 

They did do an excellent job at the Diamond event using Some Enchanted Evening as overflow. They put on more staffing and had a nice selection of apps too. 

6 hours ago, Allaboutsailingrc said:

And when booking as a solo, which I do, Royal reduces the balcony discount.

i recently booked a 10 night balcony sailing. 

The discount for a 10 night sailing is listed as $ 375 (Pinnacle). I got $282.

I used to get the full balcony discount,  however that has recently changed.

How do they justify that?

7 hours ago, stringbean10 said:

it seems like a lot of these benefits can be had by purchasing star class -or the starclass benefits seem to be even better! where is the included internet, speciality dining or beverage package?  

If Star Class is in your budget, you will certainly enjoy your cruise and will be able to take advantage of just about any amenity that is offered to the top tier of the loyalty program, and you can just pick whichever line or ship has the itinerary that appeals to you. My parents said their cruise in a Neptune Suite on HAL rivaled their experiences on Oceania. The advantage to you in choosing suite class on a "mass market" line is that luxury lines like Oceania won't have as much for your kids. You might find Disney suits you when they are a bit older.

Many of the Diamond through Pinnacle folks we've met (and the analogous levels on Celebrity) are folks who cruise several times a year. Once they reach these levels in the loyalty programs, the amenities available to them make it possible for them to have a very pleasant experience (private lounges, specialty dining, etc) without springing for a suite. 

There's also some reciprocity available so if you manage to get to some echelon on Royal, you'll have your status matched on Celebrity and Azamara, and some other programs (MLife) offer perks as well. So if that kind of thing appeals to you, it might make sense to consolidate your trips on one line for a bit.

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks, did not know that Ken!

Unfortunately thats not always the case.  If you book a true group rate yes, the full vale of the C/A discount is applied.  Sometimes tho the non group sale price, 30%, 60% off etc is cheaper then the group price, in this case the t/a will book you under the reg rate(current promo) and apply the C/A discount, then move that booking into the group to get whatever amenities are available and to get the tour conductor credit (1 free berth for 16 booked).

4 hours ago, stringbean10 said:

I am gold close to platinum.   I've been on Celebrity, NCL and RCI.

My family enjoys cruises and I aim to take 1 a year for the foreseeable future.  Cruises are our vacations and not our travel.  I have two young children and I could see us taking at least one cruise for the next 15 years as a family vacation.  If say, at the end of that 15 years, there was a big enough carrot as a rewards program, it would sway me to keep booking with RCI.  But if the big pay off is 'saving' the equivalent to $350 and three drinks a day and a bag of free laundry and a lapel pin - then it doesn't sway me to keep building loyalty with RCI. 

While nice, if I reach these levels I think it would have to just organically happen for me - like - look at that!  we reached diamond.  The rewards are just not worth sticking around for...I'd really rather book an actually cheaper cruise on a different line - reducing the actual dollars out of my pocket (and it's always good to try new things). 

By the time people have reached pinnacle, what would you guess the average amount they have spent on cruising?

I have no idea - is there some secret no monetary way to earn points? 

The RCI credit card perhaps? 

Aren't options great. We enjoy the perks we get from RC and Celebrity which are more than you have posted. Princes is so so but we haven't cruised with Princess since 2010. BTW  the drinks for RCs upper three tier levels is more than three free drinks per evening. You possible would feel differently if you were at least diamond on RC or elite on Celebrity and not Gold and Classic.  

Edited by davekathy

3 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

We seem to get them and to open them and then never touch them.  

The things that being diamond or d+ offer that I truly appreciate, are the discounts.  The free laundry, the free two days of internet (d+ things), and last but not least the diamond lounge or access to the concierge lounge.  I typically sail on ships with a flowrider, and that is a somewhat serious activity, that I usually do without the addition of alcohol in my bloodstream.... during the day.  So drinking then is not something I do.  So a drink package is not really useful to me.  After spending 4+ hours beating myself to a pulp, I enjoy a gin and tonic or a glass of wine, or 4 or 5....  The Diamond lounge provides that along with some of the most memorable entertainment of the cruise.  The arrogant diamond lounge concierge in the case of our Radiance cruise or the diamond lounge concierge I never was introduced to on the Symphony because of the vast numbers of C&A members on the TA.  

I will say, that I know the Symphony is the current star of the fleet that the C&A club treated us beyond my expectations on the TA.... they reserved seating for every show for the members, they had multiple overflow lounges.  They took us on the day we visited PC for free on a bus ride to Disney Springs (formerly downtown Disney).  Did I mention they did this for free.  

Pre=cruise I booked a 375 bottle of gin and some tonic for in room consumption and I only drank half the bottle.  We were well taken care of.

in the DL, I watched people every single night order 4 or 6 bottles of water and the staff brought them unopened to the patrons.  

Truly treated us like kings.  It is mostly wasted on us because we don’t ask for extras, although the free trip to Disney Springs was awesome.  Thank goodness, since John stood us up.😈  Others thoroughly took advantage, and were treated like kings.

Just saying, if the C&A program is the worst... then those Carnivores and Princesses must be living like King Sultans....

jc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stringbean10 said:

I am gold close to platinum.   I've been on Celebrity, NCL and RCI.

My family enjoys cruises and I aim to take 1 a year for the foreseeable future.  Cruises are our vacations and not our travel.  I have two young children and I could see us taking at least one cruise for the next 15 years as a family vacation.  If say, at the end of that 15 years, there was a big enough carrot as a rewards program, it would sway me to keep booking with RCI.  But if the big pay off is 'saving' the equivalent to $350 and three drinks a day and a bag of free laundry and a lapel pin - then it doesn't sway me to keep building loyalty with RCI. 

We are in a similar situation in that we are planning to do a lot more cruising beginning next year and so the question about sticking to one line for the perks did cross our minds.

But 15 years is a long time.  The perks available now may no longer be there even in a couple of years time.  Based on what I can tell, Royal Caribbean probably has the best frequent-cruiser program among the mainstream lines but the ranks of Diamonds, Diamond PLus, Pinnacles are growing faster than what the ships may handle, and I suspect something will give.

Edited by jazzycitrine

2 minutes ago, jazzycitrine said:

We are in a similar situation in that we are planning to do a lot more cruising beginning next year and so the question about sticking to one line for the perks did cross our minds.

But 15 years is a long time.  The perks available now may no longer be there even in a couple of years time.  Based on what I can tell, Royal Caribbean probably has the best frequent-cruiser program among the mainstream lines but the ranks of Diamonds, Diamond PLus, Pinnacles are growing faster than what the ships may handle, and I suspect something will give.

Yes, I would expect the perks to decline over time.

Do you think the recent surge is due to retiring/retired baby boomers?

Is that the typical diamond plus & pinnacle demographic?  

Congrats on more cruising!  I’d do it more often but my husband says no.  Lol.  He likes other types of travel more.

4 minutes ago, jazzycitrine said:

Already has, we now get three drinks during the 3-1/2 hour time at any bar in addition to unlimited drinks in the lounges (usually including the shows and dining rooms) so that they can accomodate more diamonds in the C&A system.  The cabin perks and discounts and free laundry and internet, are not really affected by lots of high level C&A members.  The lounges themselves if you do not have to be there when they are first opened are not crowded after the initial first hour.  IE if you have some flexibility, the rumors of the demise of the diamond lounge are greatly exaggerated.  

Just saying....

Oops, what am I doing.  The C&A program is in shambles, please move on to Princess, Carnival, NCL, HAL or anywhere else it is horrible.  

Wooh.... now I don’t have to worry about fighting for a seat on my upcoming cruises in the lounges....

jc

• Thanks 1

We have numerous cruises under our belts, as “they” say. At one cruise per year, you should be looking at where you will be 15 years from now. What kind of cruise will you enjoy then and are there perks related to their loyalty program that you might prefer.  Things will change and so will you.  Loyalty perks will change. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Aren't options great......You possible would feel differently if you were at least diamond on RC or elite on Celebrity and not Gold and Classic.  

Yes, I enjoy options & I guess I might feel differently if I was at least a diamond - but it least on paper, the diamond benefits seem lacking for the loyalty required to reach that level.   

The only diamond level perks that appeal to me are priority departure and diamond club lounge use.  I’m beginning to see that diamonds are not always able to use the lounge because there are too many pluses and pinnacles?  Is that correct? 

So so that leaves me with priority departure - which is nice, but probably not a game changer.

10 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

Do you think the recent surge is due to retiring/retired baby boomers?  Is that the typical diamond plus & pinnacle demographic?  

Congrats on more cruising!  I’d do it more often but my husband says no.  Lol.  He likes other types of travel more.

I think the retiring baby boomers certainly will add to the top tier numbers.  But being a newbie, I will leave this to others who are more experienced to opine :classic_biggrin:

My husband likes cruising.  The only problem is that there are so many land trips we want to make - and even if they are locations reached by cruise ships, the type of travelling we want to do would not make it work.  So for the forseeable future, we are talking about 1 cruise per year, may be 2.