texting on the boat

bnorris10

Really guys ... Does it really matter if I call it a boat or a ship 

Is calling it a boat really that big of a deal ... I am sure you know exactly what I mean 

Just like I am sure if I told you I was going back to my room on the boat that you would know exactly what I meant and if you don't understand what i mean if I say I am going back to my room well then that is an issue you need to resolve yourself with basic comprehension - its not hard to understand that when I say room I mean cabin and when I say boat I mean ship and its really irrelevant as to which I CHOOSE to call it sometimes I say ship sometimes I say boat depends on what pops off my fingers as I am typing 

And frankly if it is a big deal to you oh well I am gonna call it whatever I want and if you don't like it well then that is your issue not mine - quit reading my posts if you don't like it 

To everyone else who had helpful answers thanks a lot I am just not gonna message from my friend from the boat if I really need to reach him I will send a facebook message to a mutual friend and have them get in touch with him 

If you and the person you are trying to message has an Iphone or Ipad you can imessage back and forth with the social media package. The package states it doesn't work with IMessage but it does. I have cruised many times before and been able to text using imessage back and forth with plenty of people back on land. You cant send or receive pictures or videos but texting works good. I know you stated that you didn't want to use any apps to download to communicate but just in case you were not aware, FB messenger allows for voice calls in that app to another device in FB messenger. Because of this I had my mom download the FB messenger app just in case of an emergency and she absolutely needs to speak to me. Hope this helps! 

7 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

You can send an email to text anyone on pretty much any carrier. 

For instance with Verizon it's 123-456-7890@vtext.com (obviously using the phone number) 

BTW you're going to be on a ship, not a boat.

1. Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com.
  2. AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net.
  3. T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net.
  4. Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com.
  5. Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
  6. Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com.
  7. Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com.
  8. US Cellular: phonenumber@mms.uscc.net.

OP: Ignore all the other posts...follow this person's instructions. Works like a charm and you can email to text if you know the other person's carrier. Be sure to only send TEXT in the email or it could format incorrectly

11 hours ago, bnorris10 said:

Really guys ... Does it really matter if I call it a boat or a ship 

Is calling it a boat really that big of a deal ... I am sure you know exactly what I mean 

Just like I am sure if I told you I was going back to my room on the boat that you would know exactly what I meant and if you don't understand what i mean if I say I am going back to my room well then that is an issue you need to resolve yourself with basic comprehension - its not hard to understand that when I say room I mean cabin and when I say boat I mean ship and its really irrelevant as to which I CHOOSE to call it sometimes I say ship sometimes I say boat depends on what pops off my fingers as I am typing 

Nope, You are correct. At the end of the day, when push comes to shove, it doesn't really matter if you call it a boat or a ship.

There is nothing really wrong with you going back to your room or your cabin, or your stateroom either.

However, there is also nothing wrong with someone trying to share with you the correct terms you should be using when in certain environments. I didn't know these things until someone shared with me. Could I have shared with you the correct terminology in a better manner? Possibly

I was in the Army. Never been on a Man O' War. However, I respect their traditions. The traditions of the sea don't stop just because you're on a cruise ship.

When in Rome,,,,,,,,,

Now, back to the original question

teknodge3k said it best. it will cost though.

12 hours ago, AnonomissX said:

OP: Ignore all the other posts...follow this person's instructions. Works like a charm and you can email to text if you know the other person's carrier. Be sure to only send TEXT in the email or it could format incorrectly

But, wouldn't you need a phone signal for this to work?

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

But, wouldn't you need a phone signal for this to work?

Email to text? I haven't done it but I wouldn't think so. You'd be sending over internet so you'd need wifi. The receiver would have to have a phone signal since they're receiving the text.

Edited by Saint Greg

12 hours ago, AnonomissX said:

If they respond to that text does it come to your email?

We did a Mediterranean cruise in August.  Before we left DH called our carrier and had the international plan added.  While on the cruise, in ports only, we were able to send and receive texts with no additional charge.  DH was texting back and forth with the guy that was staying at our house with our dogs.  He even sent us pictures thru texting.  While cruising we turned our phones off.  Unless OP is on a cruise with no ports, he should be able to text while in port the same way. 

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

If they respond to that text does it come to your email?

Yes. If YOU send via email to the other party's text, YOU can be on wifi, THEY have to be on their phone carrier. If they reply to sender, it will go to your email.