Hit me with the discounts!

HMY624

We are approaching the final payment deadline for our March 2019 cruise and just wanted to make sure we have gotten every discount known to man :)  Also, thought this would be helpful for those who are looking for discounts. Here's what we did:

1. Booked an Early Saver Rate just a little while ago so we know we are definitely going (since it's "non-refundable")- also came with a $50 OBC.

2. Transferred our booking to a travel agent and will get cash back after our cruise is complete.

3. Bought AARP gift cards to save 10%

4. Opened a Carnival Mastercard to save $200 after one (small) purchase. We used it to buy Cheers and already got the $$ back. (I know we can also get 10% off shore excursions with this but we booked them with private agencies)

5. Added the AMEX $100 off $500 credit and will use it on 2 AMEX cards to make our final payment.

6. Bought a spa treatment with the Black Friday discount.

7. What else am I missing? 

TIA

If you will be gambling, do not take cash.  Put gambling expenses on your on-board account to gain the 2% cash rewards on your credit card.  Take home your winnings, deposit it, and use to pay off the credit card.  Note: this advise works best for self-disciplined gamblers 😄

I would recommend looking into the Chase Ultimate Rewards network, preferably through the Sapphire Reserve. I just booked my cruise in February completely on points. Points rack up extremely fast. Cruise is covered by travel insurance at no extra cost.

Hi there

While it is not likely since it's a March cruise, don't forget that with the Early Saver rate, you are entitled to price drops for your cabin class, I believe up to 72 hrs. before sailing. You will have to check regularly. The price can fluctuate daily/hourly. Since you transferred to a TA, if you find a price drop, you will have to get them to submit the request for the price match. Of course, if the cabin price climbs much higher than you paid, then it will be less likely to fall a lot, and you wouldn't need to check as much.

have a great cruise

14 hours ago, kristinp36 said:

Stock ownership on board credit is the only thing I would be doing next.  100 shares equates to $100 OBC for every cruise of 7 days.  Smaller $ amount for shorter cruises and a larger $ amount for cruises over 14 days.

I think that's about all you could do for additional bonus at this point.  Last I checked the stock was running about $50-$55 per share.