Party of 20....freestyle dining possible?

krisssten

I think you'd have to either show up right when dining starts, OR discuss this with someone in the Dining Room (of choice).

If you just show up mid-way through dinner time, just think... what is the chance that there would be empty tables with enough seating right next to each other "soon"?

Give them advance warning, and it's possible for them to be planning for your arrival.

But arriving early would make it the easiest, and also have the least chance of you needing to wait OR split up because of some lingering diners, etc.

GC

2 hours ago, krisssten said:

Our WHOLE family takes a cruise every other year for Christmas.

There are 20 of us and we love to eat dinner all together; usually two large tables next to each other.

Is this possible with NCL freestyle dining? 

No. You can not just show up with a group of 20 and get two tables next to each other. 

You need to make arrangements for the tables in advance and there is no guarantee that they will be next to each other. The big ships have a section of 8- and 10-top tables. And some have private dining rooms for large groups. 

I saw it on the Jewel with a large group in Cagney's one night. I'm sure it took a bit of planing beforehand to make it happen though. 6 or 8 tables put together in front of the grill area seemed to work with 2 waiter's. It was a challenge for the photographer when they wanted a group photo though.

I make an arrangements for a large party of Cruise Critic members to have a meal together on one evening.  See the Maitre d' and/or the F&B manager as soon as you board and discuss with him/her just what you would like.  They are usually very good about it.

19 hours ago, krisssten said:

Our WHOLE family takes a cruise every other year for Christmas.

There are 20 of us and we love to eat dinner all together; usually two large tables next to each other.

Is this possible with NCL freestyle dining? 

You need to talk to the dining room manager when you get or board. As for just showing up,, as you most do with freestyle, of course getting 2 tables together that will sit 10 is about impossible. I am sure you can understand why. If they do not know exactly when you will be eating they can not set 20 dining seats aside. If you set a certain time I think they will be able to work with you. 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:38 PM, BirdTravels said:

No. You can not just show up with a group of 20 and get two tables next to each other. 

You need to make arrangements for the tables in advance and there is no guarantee that they will be next to each other. The big ships have a section of 8- and 10-top tables. And some have private dining rooms for large groups. 

you are right: I don't care if the group gets there at 5:30 each night there is no reason to think there will be 2 very large tables available. It is hard to get tables that seat 10. 

14 hours ago, outtabux said:

We had a group of 24 on the Escape. We made reservations in advance through our PCC for 5:30 every night. They were always ready for us and it worked out fine. 

^^^^^This^^^^^

Make reservations.  I believe you can do that once on the ship.  

Definitely plan a time and make a reservation at the restaurant of your choice.  If the restaurant has a heads up I don't see where it would be a problem.  Would you show up at a restaurant in your hometown with 20 people and expected to be seated quickly?

You can email special events and they will set up reservations for you in the main dining room, taste, savor and specialty if needed. We leave on 12/29 and I did this at 120 days for our group of 13, super easy and low stress!