Credit card holds

MrmrsSteelman

21 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

When I was in the Bahamas a couple of years ago I got to talking to the taxi driver.

He said that there were two types of hospitals on the island. One public and one private.

He also said that to access the private hospital they ask for cash up front. I believe he said

$500 before they will see you. This kind of stuck in my mind as in all probability other countries

might be the same way. So take from that what you will. A credit card with a high limit is

helpful but I guess in some instances cash would be essential. And to answer your question I would

pre-load your account on the first day with cash to be on the safe side.

Hi Peachypooh; I think I would choose to get another card or up my limit just for this one cruise. OP isn't realizing all the things that could come up requiring a few extra $$s. Right? 

42 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Hi Peachypooh; I think I would choose to get another card or up my limit just for this one cruise. OP isn't realizing all the things that could come up requiring a few extra $$s. Right? 

Hi Nita.I agree. I was the same way. There I was into my 7th or 8th cruise and before having that talk with the taxi driver. Now I know and hopefully we can pass along information to others that might need it. OP one thing that will help you is to prepay the DSC.

On 12/22/2018 at 4:27 PM, MrmrsSteelman said:

What is shorex? We have only booked free shows and only plan on doing the 3 specialty dining that’s included except maybe margaritaville. We have $150 of obc, so we planned to put most that towards the service charge and then pay cash for the rest at the end. 

Sorry, I see that you have this sorted out already. I was chiming in about non-refundable OBC.

I agree with those who say to go with a cash account. Even if you used a credit card or debit card to prepay things online when you get to the port you set up the account. Leave the credit card section blank and just pay a cash deposit against your on-board expenses. I think on a 7 day cruise they ask for $300 per person. That leaves your $700 available in case of any emergency if you are in a foreign country.

Your credit card can also increase your spending limit if an emergency arises; you have to have good credit for them to do so, but often they will increase your limit with a phone call. 

I'm one of those who likes to be prepared for anything, but don't stress too much about this. You will most likely be able to use a cash account, get most of it back at the end of the cruise, and have a great time!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by fshagan

Be very careful, when Costa removed passengers from the ship in Dubai, with the Ash Cloud, some people had no spending left on their cards, insurances didn’t step in immediately and people were left with nothing, with 44,000 people stranded rooms and accommodation were hard to find.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:54 AM, MrmrsSteelman said:

I think I will call our TA and NCL and see what they say. I just checked with my husband and our cc is actually $700, we had just put the hotel for the night before on it, but that will get paid in the next couple days, so we’ll be back to $700.  

So be careful. Most hotels will ask for a credit card at checkin, even if prepaid, and will run an authorization.  

Regarding unforeseen expenses: On our last night in Barcelona before our cruise I fainted and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. It was nothing serious, just too much walking/sightseeing in the hot sun and not enough dehydration. However, this unexpected event put a $700 dent on our credit card (fortunately we had one without foreign transaction fee).

I would strongly suggest that you try to increase your credit limit before your trip.