Naughty (Room) or Nice

charlielinda

I just read a post about the naughty room and it reminded me of our experience in September of this year.  It has made for a great story and we laugh about it.   Below is what I posted earlier year ...

All our luggage arrived except mine ... we got a call from Guest Relations telling us my bag was being held and we (meaning Charlie) had to go to Deck 2 (aka the Naughty Room) to claim it. Charlie quizzed (interrogated) me to see what contraband I could have brought on board. I replied, "I followed all the rules". I know he didn't believe me and I couldn't imagine what I could possibly have done wrong.

He arrived at the Naughty Room and told the crew he was there to pick his wife's bag up, claiming no responsibility. The crew politely told him his wife had brought a rice cooker aboard! He said he replied "what did you say? A rice cooker!" And started laughing. If you knew me you'd know I've never seen a rice cooker in my life, and wouldn't dream of bringing one on a cruise -- I'm a Minute Rice type of girl. He said other crew members were laughing and showed him a list with our cabin number with rice cooker next to it. While he stood there they opened my bag in search of a rice cooker ... alias none was found. He was able to retrieve my bag and bring it to our cabin.

When he returned he wouldn't tell me what happened until he poured himself a glass of wine -- from one of the two allowed bottles per cabin ... then he asked me if I had brought a rice cooker on board! 

So everyone knows you can't bring alcohol, an extra bottle of wine, a charger or knife -- now I can report that you better leave your rice cooker at home.

• Haha 2

That's funny!  

I recall a few years ago, we cruised with 3 other couples.  For one couple, it was their first and last cruise.  Anyway, poor Ian didn't get his luggage.  Unfortunately, the light on the phone was lit up for a message all of embarkation day and they didn't listen to the message, assuming it was for the people in the room prior.  Anyway, we got to the end of the first day, at the Welcome Aboard show, and he's quite agitated about not having his luggage.  Joff Eaton was cruise director, and made some joke about the ladies in the audience not throwing their underwear at him.  Our other friend Mal yelled out "Ian won't -- IT'S THE ONLY PAIR HE HAS FOR THE WEEK!".  Poor Ian was melting down and didn't see the humour.

Anyway, a few hours later he knocked on the door of our friends' cabin and was white as a ghost saying he had to report to Homeland Security.  

Turns out his wife didn't read the fine print and packed her steam iron in HIS luggage.  

It took him a few days to recover.  Not sure his wife ever did.

• Haha 1

I remember this!  I was recently sent to the naughty room on our Edge sailing (just my hair flat iron-not a banned item).  But I relayed the rice cooker sorry to the Retreat concierge as he was getting things handled for me.  He seemed stunned and got a good laugh.  

A few years ago my son who is an avid fisherman brought his rod and a small amount of kit with him to Bermuda. When returning to the ship in Bermuda they confiscated a small pair of needle nose pliers. When you exit the ship at the end of the cruise you go to a security room in the terminal to retrieve confiscated items. I could not believe the amount of strange stuff laid out  on a table. One thing that I remember was a giant pair of scissors 3 feet long, the kind you would cut the ribbon on a new bridge LOL. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Armac said:

A few years ago my son who is an avid fisherman brought his rod and a small amount of kit with him to Bermuda. When returning to the ship in Bermuda they confiscated a small pair of needle nose pliers. When you exit the ship at the end of the cruise you go to a security room in the terminal to retrieve confiscated items. I could not believe the amount of strange stuff laid out  on a table. One thing that I remember was a giant pair of scissors 3 feet long, the kind you would cut the ribbon on a new bridge LOL. 

When we went on an Australia /NZ cruise, I hadn’t completed a bead weaving necklace for my NZ friend, so I took it to work on during sea days. My case was flagged and I had to go to the naughty room.  They confiscated my four inch jewellery pliers.  It took two days to get them back after I showed my work to the head of security and pleaded my cause.  

I too was was amazed at the strange selection of items that had been confiscated, lots of kettles and irons, but no rice cookers!

I had a missing piece of luggage once.  Finally looked at the message on my phone which said I was to report to the naughty room.  They informed me I had brought an iron aboard.  I said it wasn't my first rodeo and I absolutely had not brought an iron on board.  We opened the luggage and it was the small plug extender that I have taken on every cruise I've ever been on with absolutely no issues.  Had to stop and pick it up on the way off the ship.

I recently had a slightly different experience. When we arrived in our room for the 12/6 EDGE cruise our large suitcase was missing. The butler thought it might be in luggage jail but I know there was nothing in it that would create a problem. When she checked and found it hadn't been locked up, she brought me a lost luggage form to fill out. Before I could finish the form my luggage was delivered. I solved the mystery when looking at the luggage tag.  Apparently my tag had disappeared. As I had a tag with my name, someone had looked up my reservation and made out a new tag,,,for the cabin on the next leg of my B2B.  That's where it had been delivered.

It goes both ways...

A few years ago I went on a cruise with my mom and young daughter.  I packed a suitcase that my husband usually carries.  It has several outside pockets but I didn't fool with any of them, just put all my clothes and shoes inside and went on my merry way.  When I got home, my husband helped me unpack the bag, and was shocked to find in one of the shallow outside pockets a loaded clip (for a gun... he is a hunter and has taken that bag on weekend hunting trips in the past...)  It made it through airport security (checked) as well as the cruise.

Just last month, we were returning from the Reflection- our checked baggage seemed overweight, so I grabbed a pair of my husband's sneakers and shoved them into my carry on backpack.  When we got home, he started worrying and asking me about his green sneakers- I told him to calm down! "They are in my backpack!" He looks shocked, goes to the backpack, pulls out the sneakers, and then pulls out a probably 5" switchblade knife from INSIDE one of the shoes...   Oh dear.

Prior to 911 I  remember working in the airline industry years ago and we would gate check bags and once in a while we could hear something vibrating……….oh well when security showed up you know what it was lol