Our EDGE Eden Disaster

hvsteve1

While on the 12/9 sailing we made a reservation for dinner at Eden, realizing it might be tough to get in.  We did get a confirmation for one of the nights so were really happy.

When arriving at Eden, it was quite busy but the hostess led us right to our table.....in the kitchen!  I had never heard that not all tables were actually in the Eden proper but there were four or five tables located in that lower area where they had the open kitchen.  We were seated facing the kitchen as opposed to the ledge behind the table where we could have enjoyed the legs of the diners under the tables as they watched the "Edenites" perform.  One or two characters did come over to entertain us but we spent the evening seeing lights, hearing music and knowing there were things happening we could not see.

The other issue was, of course, the brightly lit open kitchen and servers running back and forth by our table with food and dirty dishes.  It takes about five minutes to lose interest in watching cooks plate food.

The food was very good and quite inventive, however EDEN is sold as an (expensive) experience and is a waste if you can't see what's going on in the main restaurant.

Before someone mentions it, I'm really upset with myself for not immediately realizing what a bad deal we were getting and raised hell to be moved and, if no other table was available, walked out.  In any case, anyone planning on dinner in Eden should be aware that there are HORRIBLE tables at which they may try to place you.

• Thanks 2

The open kitchen is down a few steps from the main dining area. No dinner tables on five.  When a guest comes in, they walk them past the kitchen to a small bar where they are given a "special" drink, then walked up the steps to the dining room.

Thanks for letting us know! We had a table in the regular dining area and still couldn't see all of the show during dinner (some was upstairs from the dining area). We walked upstairs after dinner to see it continued (and it still was on-going when we left). We saw enough to satisfy us. We likely won't do the dinner/show again, but it is good to know about those tables in case friends convince us to go with them. 

Cruisestitch I second your comment. I have some mobility and it's almost impossible for me to do stairs.  Even though the Edge is new and has all the bells and whistles it certainly doesn't sound like the ship for me.  I will stick to the S and M class ships.

Norma

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

And who designs a place with so many steps? I can’t believe how inaccessible so many parts of Eden are.  Surely ADA should have come into play at some point in the planning?

Not sure, yet I thought someone in either this or another post indicated that there is elevator access to Edge's various levels. So if there is a mobility issue with 'steps' it can be used.

bon voyage

just got back from the 12/16 sailing. This trip DH rented a scooter.... so we decided to explore and one of the first places we went to was Eden. We took the ramp up to deck 6. I recalled that there was discussion early on that they would have an elevator and I noticed it when we originally entered on deck 5. However... is you have a scooter  you can go from deck 6 to deck 4 BUT you can not get off on deck 5 because the door is perpendicular to the scooter (which takes up virtually all of the space. Once on deck 4 the space is tight so it is impractical in my opinion to go to deck 4 during dinner.  Now DH had the larger scooter..so perhaps the small one might work in elevator... but I suspect it may take a few minutes to go back and forth doing a k turn to get out). Also if you have knee issues... my worst fears on the seating in and entering Eden were realized... almost all but a very few are low, deep and have virtually no arms to help you get out of them. DH stayed in his scooter during our one brief visit. He might have been able to sit on a bench on the ramp..... but we did not come back to try that..

Edited by kearney

There is an elevator between levels 4, 5 and 6.  But there are also areas which are only accessible via steps.  Up on level six, there is a “cove” which has step access, no elevator.  Down on Level four, there is also an area only accessible by going down steps.

outside of Eden, half of the martini bar in the Grand Plaza is also only accessible by steps.  Part of it can be reached by going through the Guest Relations area but part requires that you go up or down steps.  I was actually shocked to see all these areas.  

With the elevator/step issues I am thinking our January 13th cruise might not work as we thought.  If this is true, and we'll soon find out, about steps, no elevator access to certain parts of the ship (Eden) then we are definitely "one and done" on the Edge class.  My husband uses a battery operated chair and if he cannot access areas he will NOT be a happy camper.  Never had issues on any of the other Celebrity ships, from Horizon and Zenith up to S class.  So, Celebrity, you can cater to the "younger" generations but you also have to remember, they also have issues.  Hope they re-think things while building Apex and the next 2 or they might have a real problem on their hands.  Of course they are no longer catering to us "older" folks so LLP can do as she pleases.  Not hearing very nice reviews from the first "real" sailings but we are fortunate enough to leave Edge and head straight to Silhouette.  Of course, Edgesizing might really remove us from Celebrity who we have sailed since 1992.  We'll see!!!

Pat C

at thI second the idea that Celebrity is now building for 30/40 year olds and is not inclined to go the extra mile for us older folks.  True, disabilities can be a factor at any age, but are definitely more likely in the older crowd.  I am trying to keep an open mind until I am actually on Edge, presuming the prices come down from the heavens one day, but the more I read the more skeptical I get.  I love the M and S class ships - I am so hoping they don't "ruin" them when they revolutionize them.  Have been a loyal Celebrity cruiser for years (46 under my belt) and I had hoped to keep it up for a couple decades more, God permitting.

I know some people accuse us older folks and long time cruisers of not being open to change.  I love change - when it is change for the better.  For example, loved S class when it came out.  But as we go through life we learn that not all change is good.  I have had much change in my life, from wonderful (my three beautiful children) to not good at all (try being laid off after 25years at the same company in the midst of the recession, at the age of 58!).  I hope Celebrity retains enough of its appeal to me and others my age so we can continue enjoying our experience for years to come.  After all, if it weren't for us loyal cruisers of 25+ years, Celebrity would not be where it is today:classic_smile:

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, PatC said:

With the elevator/step issues I am thinking our January 13th cruise might not work as we thought.  If this is true, and we'll soon find out, about steps, no elevator access to certain parts of the ship (Eden) then we are definitely "one and done" on the Edge class.  My husband uses a battery operated chair and if he cannot access areas he will NOT be a happy camper.  Never had issues on any of the other Celebrity ships, from Horizon and Zenith up to S class.  So, Celebrity, you can cater to the "younger" generations but you also have to remember, they also have issues.  Hope they re-think things while building Apex and the next 2 or they might have a real problem on their hands.  Of course they are no longer catering to us "older" folks so LLP can do as she pleases.  Not hearing very nice reviews from the first "real" sailings but we are fortunate enough to leave Edge and head straight to Silhouette.  Of course, Edgesizing might really remove us from Celebrity who we have sailed since 1992.  We'll see!!!

Pat C

There is an elevator for Eden, Pat. 🙂

You can see it on the plans - it goes to all 3 decks of Eden. It is located port aft. I tried to take a picture of it on deck 4, but someone was standing in the way. If you scroll down in the link below to the deck plans you can see the wheel chair symbol in that corner on all 3 decks.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

There is an elevator but not all parts of Eden can be reached without going up steps.  Here is one that is inaccessible....deck 6.  Look to the left of the number 6286.  There is a large unnamed seating area which is not available to anyone in a wheeled chair. (  I wish I knew how to circle things the way some posters can)

B6F6EF5B-40DB-4CB5-8EEC-6CBE6AA7EEE5.jpeg

Now, that we have some who have actually sailed The Edge and confirmed there are elevators within Eden, the ONLY real issue that I glean from it all is that some passengers will be upset because the elevator may not accommodate their scooters.

Please advise how X can accommodate most sizes of scooters without sacrificing other space?

Not sure how to address this situation at the moment... Yet, there is access via elevator to Eden.

Panic not.

bon voyage

I was in a wheelchair for about 30 minutes onboard after my accident and had a very small taste of "not being able to get there from here" trying to get to Medical.  We ended up at a dead end in that exact spot in The Grand Plaza and had to turn around and try to find another way to get to the other end. We eventually found a way, but it was enlightening as to what people in wheelchairs and on scooters encounter on a daily basis.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Here is the area of the Grand Plaza that can only be accessed by steps.  It’s where the words Grand Plaza and Martini Bar are.  That’s where the piano is and where the low chairs around the martini bar are in the photo.

Methinks you forgot to see the 'rendering' which clearly, to me, shows access to that level via ramp behind The Martini Bar.

Thus access is available, and on the level above this, I presume (and will wait to hear from anyone who have been on or will be on soon) there is elevator access to that level.

bon voyage

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Now, that we have some who have actually sailed The Edge and confirmed there are elevators within Eden, the ONLY real issue that I glean from it all is that some passengers will be upset because the elevator may not accommodate their scooters.

Please advise how X can accommodate most sizes of scooters without sacrificing other space?

Not sure how to address this situation at the moment... Yet, there is access via elevator to Eden.

Panic not.

bon voyage

I think the issue is not that there is not an elevator, it is getting out of it.  In hotels, some elevators have doors front and rear.  But from one comment, I believe this one has front and side, so you can't just drive in and back out, or vice versa.  You have to be able to turn the scooter/chair 90 degrees to exit.  And it might not be possible for larger scooters.  EM

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Methinks you forgot to see the 'rendering' which clearly, to me, shows access to that level via ramp behind The Martini Bar.

Thus access is available, and on the level above this, I presume (and will wait to hear from anyone who have been on or will be on soon) there is elevator access to that level.

bon voyage

There may have been a way around it, but it wasn't clear to us at the time (we were a bit stressed). 🙂

Just now, Essiesmom said:

I think the issue is not that there is not an elevator, it is getting out of it.  In hotels, some elevators have doors front and rear.  But from one comment, I believe this one has front and side, so you can't just drive in and back out, or vice versa.  You have to be able to turn the scooter/chair 90 degrees to exit.  And it might not be possible for larger scooters.  EM

No, I got it, but my question was and still would be is: how large should X or other cruise lines make elevators to insure accommodation of all size scooters? .. and not lose a lot of space?

I understand that it may take a bit more time to maneuver out/in with certain size scooters.

bon voyage