Our EDGE Eden Disaster

hvsteve1

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There may have been a way around it, but it wasn't clear to us at the time (we were a bit stressed). 🙂

Thanks VT - I Am sure someone will let us know what the exact situation is in that area as far as accessibility goes and if the renderings were not translated into reality.

bon voyage

Just now, hcat said:

A bit off topic..sorry

Someone also mentioned that the only way to avoid the creepy forest  hallway to get to BLU was by taking stairs.. Where are they...?

Thanks

You can go to 4 aft on the elevator and then take the circular staircase up to 5 right next to Blu. In this picture, you can see Blu's screen wall in back of the staircase.

image.thumb.png.a7bc7386fa877f0fdf260e74ee282c24.png

Just now, cruisestitch said:

Eden is a huge area.  The elevator is tiny.  It’s just another example of the failure to make ALL parts of the ship accessible.  

I believe, maybe erroneously without boarding yet, that ALL parts of the ship are accessible, maybe not to the degree of 'accessibility' that one may desire, but accessible nevertheless....

Yes, it is quite possible that a tour of the ship cannot be accessible for all, yet other parts will be. Again, maybe not as convenient as one would 'prefer' and that is understandable.

bon voyage

14 hours ago, hvsteve1 said:

The food was very good and quite inventive, however EDEN is sold as an (expensive) experience and is a waste if you can't see what's going on in the main restaurant.

Thank you for sharing your experience at Eden. I’m very sorry you didn’t get to enjoy the advertised Eden experience, for which you paid a premium. We, along with two other couples, have dinner reservations at Eden. One of our party definitely wants the full Eden experience, and I’m certain she wouldn’t be at all happy with the table you received. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thank you for sharing your experience at Eden. I’m very sorry you didn’t get to enjoy the advertised Eden experience, for which you paid a premium. We, along with two other couples, have dinner reservations at Eden. One of our party definitely wants the full Eden experience, and I’m certain she wouldn’t be at all happy with the table you received. 

With the knowledge gained here, you can be pro-active upon boarding by letting the Maitre d' know your expectations about seating... maybe even select the area in which you want to be seated can be achieved at the same time.

bon voyage

Just now, Bo1953 said:

With the knowledge gained here, you can be pro-active upon boarding by letting the Maitre d' know your expectations about seating... maybe even select the area in which you want to be seated can be achieved at the same time.

bon voyage

Believe me, I am well travelled & proactive enough to do exactly that. And you & I are both well travelled enough to know that may not work. They can promise the moon upon boarding, and yet still seat us in the “cheap seats” on the night. Suite guests will have priority, as will Elite Plus & Zenith guests. Consider how many passengers from these groups will be on a TA. Someone like me, who just made Elite, and who is booked in a Concierge IV, will not be in the front of the line for the best tables. That’s reality. 

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

Believe me, I am well travelled & proactive enough to do exactly that. And you & I are both well travelled enough to know that may not work. They can promise the moon upon boarding, and yet still seat us in the “cheap seats” on the night. Suite guests will have priority, as will Elite Plus & Zenith guests. Consider how many passengers from these groups will be on a TA. Someone like me, who just made Elite, and who is booked in a Concierge IV, will not be in the front of the line for the best tables. That’s reality. 

S - sorry I will not be fortunate enough to be with you on that sailing, as I would advocate for you if the seats were not as expected.

The F&B Manager would be called to Eden right away to quell a potential 'quiet' disturbance... LOL

I, almost always, get what I expect when I expect it. Although I tend to be low-keyed about it, most often if I Am asking for The appropriate Manager of a facility, they know right away something needs to be taken care of and right now.

Yes there are some situations out of their control, yet seating is not one of them...

bon voyage

Bo, everyone wants (and deserves) a good table. For a highly marketed experience like dinner in Eden, they shouldn’t be using bad tables. I would be delighted to have you on our TA. You could work your magic to produce a primo table for eight, and we could thank you by supplying you with cocktails throughout dinner🙂

5 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Bo, everyone wants (and deserves) a good table. For a highly marketed experience like dinner in Eden, they shouldn’t be using bad tables. I would be delighted to have you on our TA. You could work your magic to produce a primo table for eight, and we could thank you by supplying you with cocktails throughout dinner🙂

LOL - No compensation required, just your pure enjoyment...

Yet, we know that on such longish voyages and in many land based restaurants there are bound to be a few undesirable tables!

bon voyage

This is minimally accessible ship IMO. I think X did what they neede to pass code.

Besides Eden, in the Martini Bar, yes, there is a ramp, but it only brings you to the small center portion of the bar, and the area is always crowded from 5 pm on. On the 12/9-16 cruise,  I saw quite a few people motor up the ramp, but then  had no place to go and sit.   The Grand Plaza Cafe area basically becomes part of the Martini Bar there are so many people, and even Cafe el Bacio.  

The pool area area is also not very accessible.. Take a close look at the deck plans and you will see sets of stairs on both ends, there are only about 3 steps or so, but I do not recall seeing any scooters, wheelchairs or walkers out by the pool.  And I was there everyday for about 3 hours.  And the "contraption" (not sure what you call it) that lowers disabled people into the pool is missing. Maybe there is one in the solarium, but I never sat in there so didn't notice.

Edited by ecslady

2 hours ago, kearney said:

just got back from the 12/16 sailing. This trip DH rented a scooter.... so we decided to explore and one of the first places we went to was Eden. We took the ramp up to deck 6. I recalled that there was discussion early on that they would have an elevator and I noticed it when we originally entered on deck 5. However... is you have a scooter  you can go from deck 6 to deck 4 BUT you can not get off on deck 5 because the door is perpendicular to the scooter (which takes up virtually all of the space. Once on deck 4 the space is tight so it is impractical in my opinion to go to deck 4 during dinner.  Now DH had the larger scooter..so perhaps the small one might work in elevator... but I suspect it may take a few minutes to go back and forth doing a k turn to get out). Also if you have knee issues... my worst fears on the seating in and entering Eden were realized... almost all but a very few are low, deep and have virtually no arms to help you get out of them. DH stayed in his scooter during our one brief visit. He might have been able to sit on a bench on the ramp..... but we did not come back to try that..

Were you staying in an IV stateroom and if so was there enough room between the edge of the bed and the wall to scoot through?  How was navigating the rest of the Edge on the scooter - is  there room outside the dining rooms to park you scooter when you go in for dinner?  Thanks for any insights you may have re: your DH experiences with a scooter aboard the Edge …

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

You can go to 4 aft on the elevator and then take the circular staircase up to 5 right next to Blu. In this picture, you can see Blu's screen wall in back of the staircase.

image.thumb.png.a7bc7386fa877f0fdf260e74ee282c24.png

Vt

Thanks for posting..

Oh my..those are the steps I always avoid on ships....slippery,  often not same sized, hate the lighting . With graduated lenses they are troublesome..I always opt for the carpeted steps on X...

Guess I'll be going through the forest twice a day!

The steps do make nice backgrounds for photos

3 hours ago, kearney said:

just got back from the 12/16 sailing. This trip DH rented a scooter.... so we decided to explore and one of the first places we went to was Eden. We took the ramp up to deck 6. I recalled that there was discussion early on that they would have an elevator and I noticed it when we originally entered on deck 5. However... is you have a scooter  you can go from deck 6 to deck 4 BUT you can not get off on deck 5 because the door is perpendicular to the scooter (which takes up virtually all of the space. Once on deck 4 the space is tight so it is impractical in my opinion to go to deck 4 during dinner.  Now DH had the larger scooter..so perhaps the small one might work in elevator... but I suspect it may take a few minutes to go back and forth doing a k turn to get out). Also if you have knee issues... my worst fears on the seating in and entering Eden were realized... almost all but a very few are low, deep and have virtually no arms to help you get out of them. DH stayed in his scooter during our one brief visit. He might have been able to sit on a bench on the ramp..... but we did not come back to try that..

Sorry that Eden didn't work for you guys, kearney (and sorry that I missed this earlier when responded). I wondered about the seats, but it was hard for me to tell which ones might work for you. I'm sure that they will get lots of feedback about the chairs and elevator and hopefully will make it a better experience for all. How was the rest of your cruise? Are you going to do a review? I hope you were able to enjoy your much-anticipated cruise! 🙂

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

No, I got it, but my question was and still would be is: how large should X or other cruise lines make elevators to insure accommodation of all size scooters? .. and not lose a lot of space?

I understand that it may take a bit more time to maneuver out/in with certain size scooters.

bon voyage

Sorry to respectfully  disagree with you.

They should have elevators to accomodate the size of the  scooters they permit on board. Access for everyone to venues is  the main concern..not how much space will be lost!

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Vt

Thanks for posting..

Oh my..those are the steps I always avoid on ships....slippery,  often not same sized, hate the lighting . With graduated lenses they are troublesome..I always opt for the carpeted steps on X...

Guess I'll be going through the forest twice a day!

The steps do make nice backgrounds for photos

You may grow to like the forest. 🙂

Just now, WonderMan3 said:

Here is a visual to show the seating area the OP was describing and how it positions to some of the other seating. I don’t understand the purpose of seats facing into the kitchen when the “show” is taking place outside of that area.

1C4A15A7-2965-45E3-9861-4A3CB8093CF4.jpeg

B3DB3204-F4A0-4A41-AB61-3D308F3CD283.jpeg

Good visual..Maybe they have cooking demos or other events there besides the show..Otherwise awkward??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Good visual..Maybe they have cooking demos or other events there besides the show..Otherwise awkward??

That would make sense. They should not offer those to people for the dinner show though or at least warn people in advance that views will be limited and possibly offer the dinner at a reduced price. At least let guests make an informed choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Trust me, being Elite Plus doesn't give you squat over what you get as Elite, other than the extra perks as advertised.  The one possible exception (and not even sure about this as I don't know everyone's status obviously) is that we have gotten invited to several sail-aways  on the helipad.  Never got any preferential seating in the MDR, Select Dining, or at a specialty restaurant - never.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

And who designs a place with so many steps? I can’t believe how inaccessible so many parts of Eden are.  Surely ADA should have come into play at some point in the planning?

There is a small elevator hidden in the corner.

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

And who designs a place with so many steps? I can’t believe how inaccessible so many parts of Eden are.  Surely ADA should have come into play at some point in the planning?

ADA doesn't cover ocean ships.