Best Beach for the day?

danalea1980

Beware of “taxi” situation at port.  There were four of us wanting to go to Copacobana by taxi.  The dispatcher refused to let us into a taxi and pushed us to a shuttle van.  We had to wait for the van to fill.  The driver “forgot” to stop at copacobana and then charged us extra to go back after he dropped people at Harbor Lights and the Hilton.  He said we should have shouted-well, there is almost no signage at copacobana (lovely, btw and next to Lobster Alive).  How were WE supposed to know?  Cost us $10 pp for the shuttle and $10 total for the taxi back to the ship.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:42 PM, PRH said:

Beware of “taxi” situation at port.  There were four of us wanting to go to Copacobana by taxi.  The dispatcher refused to let us into a taxi and pushed us to a shuttle van.  We had to wait for the van to fill.  The driver “forgot” to stop at copacobana and then charged us extra to go back after he dropped people at Harbor Lights and the Hilton.  He said we should have shouted-well, there is almost no signage at copacobana (lovely, btw and next to Lobster Alive).  How were WE supposed to know?  Cost us $10 pp for the shuttle and $10 total for the taxi back to the ship.

Sorry to hear about your experience. 
I went to Copacobana in Nov via private company that seems to no longer have the same deal. (transport/chairs/umbrella, etc). 

Going back this Nov. Was the 'taxi/shuttle' inside the gate that you got into? Do you recall how much the chair/umbrella rental was when you arrived at Copa? How easy was it to get a taxi back to the port? (And was it one that could go INSIDE the gate?). 

TIA!

We loved the Copacobana.  The chairs and umbrella were $20pp which also included a welcome drink.  They had another deal going if you were planning to have food.  No problem getting a taxi back.

We went out of the terminal toward the taxi stand and when the dispatcher asked where we were going, she steered us to the shuttle—even when we asked for a taxi.  Not sure what the solution is.  We will be back there in March and returning to the Copacobana.  Maybe we need to call them directly to order a taxi for us??  Will get back with what happens.

1 hour ago, PRH said:

We loved the Copacobana.  The chairs and umbrella were $20pp which also included a welcome drink.  They had another deal going if you were planning to have food.  No problem getting a taxi back.

We went out of the terminal toward the taxi stand and when the dispatcher asked where we were going, she steered us to the shuttle—even when we asked for a taxi.  Not sure what the solution is.  We will be back there in March and returning to the Copacobana.  Maybe we need to call them directly to order a taxi for us??  Will get back with what happens.

Yes please come back with any information you can regarding the taxi/shuttle situation. 
The private company I found charged $30/2 people for chairs, umbrella and transportation. Waiting to hear back if they still have that same offer. If they get back to me, I will share as it may be easier for you. But everything now has the turtle snorkel attached to it. Have already done that so just want to float in the gorgeous blue water. 

On 2/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, Laney219 said:

Yes please come back with any information you can regarding the taxi/shuttle situation. 
The private company I found charged $30/2 people for chairs, umbrella and transportation. Waiting to hear back if they still have that same offer. If they get back to me, I will share as it may be easier for you. But everything now has the turtle snorkel attached to it. Have already done that so just want to float in the gorgeous blue water. 

FYI  - I saw this available on Viator last week.  

50 minutes ago, helensobol said:

FYI  - I saw this available on Viator last week.  

Thanks.. that appears to be the same company as one review mentioned the same driver I had. Unfortunately, it is now nearly double in price ($50 vs. $30). 

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, PRH said:

Hey there... was hoping to hear about your trip in March!

Taxis at the port charge per person and they tend to squeeze several passengers in going to a variety of nearby spots.  Just the way the taxi union there is organized. :classic_huh:

Edited by JohninDC

Herded into a shuttle despite our protests.  Made clear to the driver before we got in and once underway.  Worked out fine.  This time we did the food option—basically you are paying $5 for your chair and umbrella.  The flying fish sandwich was excellent as was the rum punch—delivered to your chair.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, PRH said:

Herded into a shuttle despite our protests.  Made clear to the driver before we got in and once underway.  Worked out fine.  This time we did the food option—basically you are paying $5 for your chair and umbrella.  The flying fish sandwich was excellent as was the rum punch—delivered to your chair.  Enjoy!

Thanks for the update. Only went via a private package deal... can you tell me the prices w and wo the food option is you recall. Also what was the cost of the shuttle? Did you taxi back to the port at the end?? Appreciate your help. 

Shuttle was $7pp, taxi back was $5pp (there were four of us).  Plenty of taxis in the parking lot at the beach.  Beach Club is $10pp includes chair & shared umbrella.  Copacobana Day is $25pp includes chair, shared umbrella and $20 food credit.  The flying fish sandwich with fries or salad was $17.  Rum punch $5.  Prices are clearly stated for USD and Barbados dollars.  You will be charged in the local currency so be sure to use a no fee credit card—ours does not charge for currency conversion.  Enjoy!

26 minutes ago, PRH said:

Shuttle was $7pp, taxi back was $5pp (there were four of us).  Plenty of taxis in the parking lot at the beach.  Beach Club is $10pp includes chair & shared umbrella.  Copacobana Day is $25pp includes chair, shared umbrella and $20 food credit.  The flying fish sandwich with fries or salad was $17.  Rum punch $5.  Prices are clearly stated for USD and Barbados dollars.  You will be charged in the local currency so be sure to use a no fee credit card—ours does not charge for currency conversion.  Enjoy!

Thanks so much. Forgive my ignorance... can you use USD to pay in cash or only BBD, hence you using a no fee CC?

• 2 months later...

Boatyard is $25 pp. includes 1 free drink and transport shuttle back to ship, one way only. 

We found the package for "land guests" a better deal, $30 pp, gives you $22.50 bar credit pp, does not include transport back to the ship but that's only $5 anyway. We lasted a full day on the bar credit as they have happy hour 2 for 1  quite frequently. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, scouseronline said:

Boatyard is $25 pp. includes 1 free drink and transport shuttle back to ship, one way only. 

We found the package for "land guests" a better deal, $30 pp, gives you $22.50 bar credit pp, does not include transport back to the ship but that's only $5 anyway. We lasted a full day on the bar credit as they have happy hour 2 for 1  quite frequently. 

You were able to purchase the "land guest" option no problem? Did they know you were a cruise ship guest? (I'm assuming you were)

In that case just show ID that's not your seapass card? Just curious as the land guest package is a much better deal to me, and I understand the trip back to the pier is walkable instead of a cab. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, Laney219 said:

We always walk out of the port gate to get a taxi. Better prices, good drivers, better vans/cars and have always felt very safe.

Do not like to be bossed around by the dispatchers who made us get in and out of several vans because of her issue with some cut she was getting from certain drivers for passengers she sends them. No thanks. Did not want to be a pawn in their money game.