Confused About Roatan

teacherman

We are on Allure of the Seas, scheduled to stop at Roatan on April 4.   This is a family cruise with 6 adults and 2 girls, ages 8 and 10.  I was under the impression that we would be stopping at a port which offered a beach within a very short walk or taking some type of sky chairlift.  Is this not true?  If not, then what is where we will be stopping?  There is so much to do on the ship, is it worth paying money just to go to a beach or something?  We have been on many cruises, but never on the Allure or to Roatan.  Any information/advice is most welcome.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, teacherman said:

We are on Allure of the Seas, scheduled to stop at Roatan on April 4.   This is a family cruise with 6 adults and 2 girls, ages 8 and 10.  I was under the impression that we would be stopping at a port which offered a beach within a very short walk or taking some type of sky chairlift.  Is this not true?  If not, then what is where we will be stopping?  There is so much to do on the ship, is it worth paying money just to go to a beach or something?  We have been on many cruises, but never on the Allure or to Roatan.  Any information/advice is most welcome.  Thank you.

On the Allure you will stop at Coxen Hole. There is the usual port shopping but not much to see or do in the town of Coxen Hole. You would need transportation to a beach or water taxi, through the ship, to the island of Maya Key. There is a short zip line across the bay to a fort area with restaurant and jade(?) museum but i have never been.

only ships with Carnival corporation stop at Mahogany Bay with cruise ship beach and sky lift.

Taxis are expensive on Roatan, although with 6 of you, you can get a private driver for the day for $25pp and stop for as long as you want where you want.

Another option is to get a private tour arranged and they will customize the day for you. We aren't huge beach people but have had good days with Victor Bodden of Bodden Tours twice in Roatan that included beach, lunch, etc.  Others on this board also offer but can't speak from experience. My son lives on Roatan part time and with roads (2 lane etc) and crowded spring break time and ships, if you want just a beach day your best bet from where you will dock is West End.

As mentioned above its only Carnival ships that dock where there is a beach/chair lift.  (mahogany bay)

You will be at Coxen Hole.  A benefit to being there is that you are closer to the beaches at West Bay Beach. 

Taxis are not regulated and we have found it better to arrange a tour guide to be your "taxi" driver.  We have used island marketing just to get to the beach last time.  We are looking into Rony's tours this time to do a few other things.  There are plenty recommendations on this board.

• You can stay on the ship, but be aware that West Bay Beach is one of the nicest white sand beaches in the Caribbean.  And one of the few that offers 'from the beach' snorkeling.
  • We never miss it.
  • Otoh, you are on a megaship which means you will not be alone if you decide to try it.
  • Like 1

I would definitely leave the port area in Roatan.  Rony(ronystours.com) can take you to West Bay.  If your children have never snorkeled - this is a perfect spot.  Even if they just wear goggles.  You walk right out to the reef full of beautiful fish.  My daughter also loves visiting the monkeys and sloths.  They are fun to hold - very memorable experiences.  We have been on the Allure and I agree it is a great ship, but Roatan has the wildlife, really fun ziplines, and fabulous beaches.  I wouldn't want to miss the opportunities here.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:42 PM, #1TravelMom said:

I would definitely leave the port area in Roatan.  Rony(ronystours.com) can take you to West Bay.  If your children have never snorkeled - this is a perfect spot.  Even if they just wear goggles.  You walk right out to the reef full of beautiful fish.  My daughter also loves visiting the monkeys and sloths.  They are fun to hold - very memorable experiences.  We have been on the Allure and I agree it is a great ship, but Roatan has the wildlife, really fun ziplines, and fabulous beaches.  I wouldn't want to miss the opportunities here.

Where on West Bay did you find the monkeys and sloths? Did you have to pay to see/hold? 

Edited by Ogtubbx3

2 minutes ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

Where on West Bay did you find the monkeys and sloths? Did you have to pay to see/hold? 

Daniel Johnson's Sloth & Monkey Hangout. $10/pp

If you go with Rony's, you can beat the cruise pax there and won't have a ton of people. 

11 hours ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

11 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Daniel Johnson's Sloth & Monkey Hangout. $10/pp

If you go with Rony's, you can beat the cruise pax there and won't have a ton of people. 

To be clear Daniel's place nor monkey and sloth are near West Bay Beach. When one pays a private driver they are able to stop anywhere on the island they choose.  :0) 

Just now, Guest 2000 said:

To be clear Daniel's place nor monkey and sloth are near West Bay Beach. When one pays a private driver they are able to stop anywhere on the island they choose.  :0) 

Y

Just now, Guest 2000 said:

Yes it is near little and big French key

1 minute ago, Ogtubbx3 said:

Yes it is near little and big French key

You have the right of it!  Daniel's has a very good reputation. I understand they are taking out snorkel excursions these days with very happy results. 

Little French Key, on the other hand, is the worst of the worst. 

On 12/26/2018 at 5:23 PM, Host Carolyn said:

Another option is to get a private tour arranged and they will customize the day for you. We aren't huge beach people but have had good days with Victor Bodden of Bodden Tours twice in Roatan that included beach, lunch, etc.  Others on this board also offer but can't speak from experience. My son lives on Roatan part time and with roads (2 lane etc) and crowded spring break time and ships, if you want just a beach day your best bet from where you will dock is West End.

Can you get a Bodden tour at the pier or does it need to be prearranged?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, Guest 2000 said:

You have the right of it!  Daniel's has a very good reputation. I understand they are taking out snorkel excursions these days with very happy results. 

Oh my, can you please elaborate?  I have seen earlier reviews of it and spent a day investigating.  

• 1 month later...

You should get off the ship. This is one of our favorite islands. Plus we have become friends with an couple that lives there. They only have been off the island a hand full of times if that. Like everywhere there can be crime. But we have always felt safe there. We will be going there at the end of April in Carnival Miracle and we don't plan to stay in Mahoney Bay.  We have 8 adults and two young kids also.  We plan to see the culture side of the island with another private tour guide. Since we will have more people then our friends can carry around. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, Guest 2000 said:

We are on the same Allure trip as OP and have arranged the Daniel Johnson animal visit and snorkel combo, so I hope it is as great as I am making it up to be in my head!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, threedogsmom said:

We are on the same Allure trip as OP and have arranged the Daniel Johnson animal visit and snorkel combo, so I hope it is as great as I am making it up to be in my head!

Are you snorkeling through Daniel or though Hammerhead?  Ahh perhaps Daniel's snorkel is with Hammerhead. You mention you were having trouble contacting them.. Is Hammerhead affiliated with Daniel? 

On another note, Daniel's may be able to sort out a beach bar for you.. wait, who is doing your transfers? 

On 3/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, Kudos2Fly said:

You should get off the ship. This is one of our favorite islands. Plus we have become friends with an couple that lives there. They only have been off the island a hand full of times if that. Like everywhere there can be crime. But we have always felt safe there. We will be going there at the end of April in Carnival Miracle and we don't plan to stay in Mahoney Bay.  We have 8 adults and two young kids also.  We plan to see the culture side of the island with another private tour guide. Since we will have more people then our friends can carry around. 

How was your trip and which tour guide did you decide to use? 

Going in September also on the Miracle.  

15 minutes ago, Gatorfan01 said:

How was your trip and which tour guide did you decide to use? 

Going in September also on the Miracle.  

We haven't gone yet, not until April 21st. We are using Amazing Roatan Tours. 

• Thanks 1