Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

Returned from my 14 day cruise to PNG and FNQ.  As this was my first cruise with Holland America, I said I would report to this forum how the cruise went.

I booked the cruise less than a month from departure date due to a sale email that I couldn't resist.  Booked a Guaranteed Verandah Cabin - bottom category VH.

One week before cruise I received my cabin assignment, VC cabin on deck 5 -5176.  Pretty happy with that.

Cruise departed from White Bay.  My previous 4 cruises departed from OPT.

Caught train to Wynyard and then walked to Barangoo.  Easy to do and plenty of lifts for luggage.

Ferry from Barangaroo to White Bay is run by Captain Cook Cruises from Wharf 1.

Note there is a King St Wharf No1 and Captain Cook Wharf 1,  Make sure you go to the correct one - Captain Cook Wharf 1.

Cost is $9 one way and you use opal pay.

Unfortunately, the boarding process was a bit of a debacle due to the ferry captain having missed his lunch break and therefore the cruise departure time was cancelled and we (about 30 waiting passengers) were messed around in the hot sun not knowing which side of the wharf the next ferry was to leave from.   We had a 30 min wait while the Captain ate his lunch on board in full view of the waiting passengers.   Eventually, we were permitted to board and it was a mix of HAL and P & O passengers travelling to White Bay.

On approach to White Bay, could see that the Noordam was docked in front of the P & O ship and gathered we might be in for a bit of trek in the hot sun.  Fortunately, there was a coach shuttle with aircon waiting at the ferry wharf that took us to the Noordam. Nice.

Check in at 1.30pm was very quick.   Security took quite a while though (except for the fast lane) which I was not in.  One passenger forget to check in his luggage and only just managed to get his cricket bag to fit through the x-ray machine.  Once on-board, it was straight to the cabin which was available.

Edited by aussielozzie18
typos

Very happy with my cabin.   Spacious, clean and plenty of room.  mini sofa and ottoman and oval coffee table. Desk with working bar fridge with alcohol but with enough room to put my bottle of champers that I was permitted to bring onboard,

Bathroom had shower with Elemis products.  Despite being a first-timer with no status, it was nice to receive full length bath robes in the cabin.   Verandah had glass railing and 2 chairs with cushions and a small side table.

Lifts and stairs very close.   Being on deck 5 was good as MDR was directly below on Deck 3 and Lido Buffet was directly up on Deck 9.  Lifts were fast but I chose to use the stairs for most of the cruise.  Bit of trek to Vista Lounge for shows.

As I expected the majority of passengers were older.  60s upwards and many retired.  Made for an interesting conversations as everyone was well travelled.   Overseas passengers were majority from Canada, California and Holland.

I found everyone on board - crew and fellow passengers - friendly and welcoming.

I attended the cruise critic meet & greet on Day 2.  This was held on Deck 10.  Noordam supplied coffee, tea and biscuits.

The meet and greet was from 11am-12pm. It proved so popular, the organisers arranged a lunch meet-up immediately afterwards. I just attended the meet & greet.  it was lovely to chat and meet fellow cruisers. 

As I was cruising solo, the lovely couple who organised the meet & greet, invited me to sit with them during the shows in theatre which I did and I also joined them for breakfast a couple of times in the MDR and we did a shore trip together which was lovely.

Their friendship throughout the cruise was much appreciated.

I had requested early dining at 5.30pm and a two top.  Due to my late booking, I wasn't expecting my request to be granted but fortunately it was.   I ate dinner in the MDR 11 nights out of 15 and I found the food and service to be excellent.  I found that dining solo was problematic though because the service was too efficient.  As soon as I finished my entree, main was served and as soon as I finished main, dessert was served.  Dinner was over in 30 mins.

Fortunately, I was invited by my fellow diners to join their tables - both at the same time - one was for a 10 top and the other was for a 4 top.  I enjoy smaller tables so I ended up spending the rest of the cruise dining at the table of the couple sitting opposite my original table and we had a lovely time together.   There were 3 gala nights on board.  I attended 2 of them and the food was superb.

For breakfast and lunch, I went to the lido deck.  It was not self serve.  All was cooked in front of you or in the case of the salads, put together to your specifications in front of you.  I found the air-con in the lido deck too cold so would more often than not take the meals out to the lido deck pool where it was more comfortable.  Mimosas were available on the lido deck each day til 11am for $3.95 plus gratuity and I had one most days.  Plenty of choice in the lido deck buffet.  I liked that there were healthy options and the portions were small.  You didn't see the food wastage that you see on other lines.

Had breakfast twice in the MDR.  Food was very good.  First time service was not good.  However, my table companions made a complaint and the next time we went the service was much improved.

Also, had High Tea in the MDR one afternoon.  Advantage of dining solo, you get 3 tiers to yourself!  In my defence, I did a spin class in the gym that morning in preparation.

Shows in the Vista Lounge.  Found the Visa Lounge too cold.  Needed a wrap.  Shows  usually at 8pm & 10pm although it did vary of course.  Also evening entertainment in Lincoln Centre and BB Kings.  I usually go to all the shows but I was a bit slack this cruise.  Went to the first two Noordam singers & dancers performances and they were good.  Saw a UK comedian Ivor Richards who performed on two different dates.  I liked his second show more than his first and got a lot of laughs.  Other performers were Karen Carpenter singer,  Patrick McMahon who performed on two dates, Bernald Waltz and Patrick Roberts.

BBC Earth II with orchestra was excellent.  Shame some of the violinists blocked the lower left edge of the screen.  

Daytime talks in Vista Lounge were great - as we were cruising to PNG, we had talks on WWII history in the area including the Kokoda Trail with images and maps.  Just note that the subject varied each time but George Friend's into was repeated every single time and went for a full 15 mins.  That got a bit repetitive to say the least.  Brian Stoddart,s  sociology talks on the South Pacific from 1800s to the present day were very interesting. I could listen to him read the back of cereal box.  Also, had a Reef Pilot talk for a solid hour to a full Vista Lounge.  He had maps and photos.  Very interesting.

Captain had his Q & A session and welcome toast (very brief) with free champers.

Couldn't survive 15 nights without sending some clothes off for cleaning.  $20 to fill a bag.  Able to fit plenty in.  Said 48hr turn around but I got mine back next day.  Can be folded or hung on hangers for no charge.  I chose hangers and didn't need anything to be pressed.

Forgot to mention Muster Drill.  Very efficiently run on outside deck in shade.  went for approx 15 mins.  Unfortunately, although I went to the correct station and had my keycard scanned, I got a naughty letter in my letterbox outside my cabin the next day.  Told I was being chucked off the ship, if I didn't attend a second muster drill.  I marched down to guest services and promptly got it sorted without me attending a second drill.

Edited by aussielozzie18
typos
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Shows in the Vista Lounge.  Found the Visa Lounge too cold.  Needed a wrap.  Shows  usually at 8pm & 10pm although it did vary of course.  Also evening entertainment in Lincoln Centre and BB Kings.  I usually go to all the shows but I was a bit slack this cruise.  Went to the first two Noordam singers & dancers performances and they were good.  Saw a UK comedian Ivor Richards who performed on two different dates.  I liked his second show more than his first and got a lot of laughs.  Other performers were Karen Carpenter singer,  Patrick McMahon who performed on two dates, Bernald Waltz and Patrick Roberts.

BBC Earth II with orchestra was excellent.  Shame some of the violinists blocked the lower left edge of the screen.  

Daytime talks in Vista Lounge were great - as we were cruising to PNG, we had talks on WWII history in the area including the Kokoda Trail with images and maps.  Just note that the subject varied each time but George Friend's into was repeated every single time and went for a full 15 mins.  That got a bit repetitive to say the least.  Brian Stoddart,s  sociology talks on the South Pacific from 1800s to the present day were very interesting. I could listen to him read the back of cereal box.  Also, had a Reef Pilot talk for a solid hour to a full Vista Lounge.  He had maps and photos.  Very interesting.

Captain had his Q & A session and welcome toast (very brief) with free champers.

I agree, George's intros were too long but the topics were interesting and topical. Brian was very interesting, especially his last talk on present day politics in the Pacific and the influence being exerted by China - that was a bit scary. Loved the Reef Pilot talk too.

Just now, lyndarra said:

I agree, George's intros were too long but the topics were interesting and topical. Brian was very interesting, especially his last talk on present day politics in the Pacific and the influence being exerted by China - that was a bit scary. Loved the Reef Pilot talk too.

Yes, I did enjoy George's talks especially as I visited the Battlebox in Singapore mid-year and his talks on the war in PNG followed on from that.  I must have been on a shore tour for Brian's last talk as I missed it.  What a shame.