Mendenhall Glacier In Juneau

JCBAY4

3  hours  AT the glacier area?    Or involving transit?   

Depends on YOU,   some people are done,  in less than an hour.    I suggest you do your homework and find out more.   Determine,  what you want to see and do there-   then have a plan,  so to not waste valuable time.   It isn't  difficult.   :)   https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

4 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

If you are including your transit time, then it might be cutting it close.  But actual time at the glacier, and even if you want to walk out to Nugget Falls, 3 hours is plenty.

Thanks.  I am including transit time.  We have a scheduled excursion.   So, if we are cruising Glacier Bay, will we miss a lot if we skip this?  Really wanted to see it but wife’s preferences come 1st! LOL

If using the public bus, be aware the closest stop to the Visitor Centre is over 1 mile, then Nugget Falls is another mile from the Visitor Centre. If using the public bus, 3 hours will be insufficient time.

Suggest hiring a car, or taking a taxi up to the Visitor Centre, as both these options you can walk out to Nugget Falls and back within 3 hours.

4 hours ago, JCBAY4 said:

Thanks.  I am including transit time.  We have a scheduled excursion.   So, if we are cruising Glacier Bay, will we miss a lot if we skip this?  Really wanted to see it but wife’s preferences come 1st! LOL

There is little comparison between these 2 areas.   

If you post the entire information way more can be offered in my answer.

What tour are you also doing,  what time,  your time in port,  transits??  

19 hours ago, JCBAY4 said:

While we enjoyed Mendenhall, after viewing Hubbard Glacier, there really was no comparison.  Hubbard was so enormous, and seeing the colors and hearing the calving, just such a great experience.  Probably would have been better doing Mendenhall, then Hubbard.

4 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

While we enjoyed Mendenhall, after viewing Hubbard Glacier, there really was no comparison.  Hubbard was so enormous, and seeing the colors and hearing the calving, just such a great experience.  Probably would have been better doing Mendenhall, then Hubbard.

We will miss Hubbard as we are cruising Glacier Bay which I understand is also spectacular.

If it fits in your budget and schedule you might consider a helicopter landing on a glacier while at Juneau instead of visiting Mendenhall.  We went with Coastal Helicopters for a flight to Herbert Glacier. It's one of the coolest things we've ever done - it was expensive (about $300 each) but I don't regret doing it at all.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Good luck!

On 12/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, JCBAY4 said:

We will miss Hubbard as we are cruising Glacier Bay which I understand is also spectacular.

I am one of the few people who spend my entire day enjoying Glacier Bay, I am out on deck-  prior to dawn,  and remain out after leaving.   So much to see and do,  especially depending on direction.    You can see at least 4 glaciers  (which some people don't  :)  )   

On 12/29/2018 at 11:51 PM, Budget Queen said:

I am one of the few people who spend my entire day enjoying Glacier Bay, I am out on deck-  prior to dawn,  and remain out after leaving.   So much to see and do,  especially depending on direction.    You can see at least 4 glaciers  (which some people don't  🙂 )   

Totally agree, Glacier Bay is a spectacular day and it is more than stopping off at the glaciers. I am also out from before entering the Bay until the ship is well into Icy Strait.

While the views of the glaciers are spectacular from today's ships, I still have vivid memories of my first visits back in the 70's. We got even closer to the glaciers and we also lowered the rescue boat into the water, when stopped at one of the glaciers. It was my job every week to take the boat away, and from water level it provided a completely different perspective. 

2 hours ago, tampagirl2 said:

Tagging on to this. So if we have an excursion 1st that ends at 4pm and the ship departs at 9 pm, is there enough time to do the Nugget Falls trail?  And if so, what’s the best way to get there and back? Taxi?

What tour will you be finishing ?   And when are you going?       Mendenhall doesn,'t "close"   but the Visitor Center  does,  and  buses do stop running, verify times.   There is no cab line-  you can prearrange a pick up,   or call a cab about 30 minutes priority to needing one.   

6 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

What tour will you be finishing ?   And when are you going?       Mendenhall doesn,'t "close"   but the Visitor Center  does,  and  buses do stop running, verify times.   There is no cab line-  you can prearrange a pick up,   or call a cab about 30 minutes priority to needing one.   

Thank you.  We haven’t booked yet, but thinking of booking the helicopter dog sledding and they have availability at 1:15. (We are in port from 11-9). We are going early June.

16 hours ago, tampagirl2 said:

Thank you.  We haven’t booked yet, but thinking of booking the helicopter dog sledding and they have availability at 1:15. (We are in port from 11-9). We are going early June.

Who are you booking with?   2 of the vendors,  I would suggest you just get a cab and go direct to Mendenhall.   You'd be wasting at least an hour-  if you didn't and backtracking. 

A third company it wouldn't matter-  and would involve  starting and ending each (Mendenhall,  and  helicopter vendor)   from the docks.   

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Who are you booking with?   2 of the vendors,  I would suggest you just get a cab and go direct to Mendenhall.   You'd be wasting at least an hour-  if you didn't and backtracking. 

A third company it wouldn't matter-  and would involve  starting and ending each (Mendenhall,  and  helicopter vendor)   from the docks.   

This is with Temsco.  I guess I need to research more - didn’t realize there were 3! Thanks so much!

12 hours ago, tampagirl2 said:

This is with Temsco.  I guess I need to research more - didn’t realize there were 3! Thanks so much!

I'd only suggest you call a cab and go to Mendenhall,  direct from this tour.  Arrange a pick up in advance,  since you may not be able to call in flight.    Or perhaps,   the vendor's office can have a cab waiting for you?     TEMSCO   (all caps)  and Coastal,   are your closest vendors.       With your time,  I'd think having the visitor center open during your visit may be of interest?    

Really recommend you time your visit for when the Mendenhall visitor center is open.  They have a restricted viewing section on one floor that has scopes to view the glacier and hosts scheduled Ranger talks.  If you have a National Park Pass, you  get free entrance to this special section.