Medications

MrmrsSteelman

I’m not sure where to actually ask this question, and this is the board I frequent the most..

My husband is epileptic. He takes a bunch of meds. We have never traveled farther then Fl. Can you he just keep his meds packed in his normal pill holder that’s done by dats instead of lugging the original bottles. The bottles are big and there are 12 different ones. Also, we’ve only flown twice. He has a small pill holder, that he puts his next dose in. Is he allowed to just take that on the plane without the original bottles? Thanks!

yes, nobody is checking any of your meds. Unless it's a narcotic type of a pain killer. Some countries, however, have a ban on bringing some types of medications.

If you want to put them in a weekly container - you can do it. I'd bring more meds than he needs, though. LIke 14 days worth for a 7 night trip, because you never know when you are going to get stranded.

We travel with a carry-on backpack full of meds. I am not kidding. I have a gallon-sized ziplock bag per person - my DH has a bunch of prescription meds he is on (and we bring them in original containers), and the meds for me and our kid are the "just in case something happens" + a thermometer. Like last time, DS got sick with a horrible cold - I had all the meds he needed for that. Or the time before that, when he sliced his foot on a rock at Princess Cays - I had a bag of various bandaids that came in very handy. On our cruise last week, I felt like I was coming down with something bad - I had a terribly sore throat. A ton of Echinacea pills later and a lot of lemon slices I was good as new and didn't get sick past that. DH got sick at the end of the cruise....

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I would say you have to take the medication bottles themselves in your carry on . If he is on any narcotics, then you would have to have original prescription bottle. Make sure they are in a carry on , so you have them on you and you can still take your pill holder to use for the week.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and usually this type of question comes up all the time on this board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/69-ask-a-cruise-question/

This topic is also discussed in this board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

We always take originally labeled bottles just in case.  We also have copies of the actual scripts, and for a few meds, we also have a physician letter just stating the names of some of the meds and that it is needed for medical care.

Some countries (including Japan) are very strict, and about some things we don't blink about here in the USA. But it's simple and fast (and free) to get whatever permissions are needed.

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrmrsSteelman said:

I’m not sure where to actually ask this question, and this is the board I frequent the most..

My husband is epileptic. He takes a bunch of meds. We have never traveled farther then Fl. Can you he just keep his meds packed in his normal pill holder that’s done by dats instead of lugging the original bottles. The bottles are big and there are 12 different ones. Also, we’ve only flown twice. He has a small pill holder, that he puts his next dose in. Is he allowed to just take that on the plane without the original bottles? Thanks!

We carry our meds in weekly pill minders (and not original bottles).  If your husband’s meds are important, then I would carry his dates pill minders in your hand carry to avoid getting separated if your bags are delayed. 

We don't bring pill bottles but do store pictures of them on our phones just in case.  I highly doubt anybody anywhere is going to take away your medications.  In the 20 or so cruises we've taken, we've never been questioned about any pills in our luggage or carry-on's.  

I do know that certain anti-convulsants are issues at certain countries outside the U.S. (I take them too).  I normally have my pharmacy run out travel bottles (smallest size that will fit double the trip length) with the actual script on them like usual.  If you are flying within the U.S. - you don't need to worry that you cannot fly with them (I would strongly suggest keeping them in carry-on luggage at all times).  Only certain Middle Eastern countries (that I've found) have issues with some anti-convulsants (since that's all I ever checked).  Once onboard, I set up my weekly pill minder and put the remainder in the safe.  If I come back with extra - great.  If I drop one or get delayed - I have extra so I won't be in panic mode.

Happy Cruising!

15 minutes ago, trout96 said:

I just take daily medicine case. It has never been an issue. I do bring a list of meds I take in case anyone would ask.

But the point is you can't rely on it to "never be an issue," and it very much depends on where you are traveling and what meds you are bringing.  There's no one-size-fits-all answer (except that having your meds in their original containers is the safest choice).  It's a good idea to check the requirements of the country/countries to which you are traveling, especially if you have any pain meds or other meds that could be an issue.   There are, for example, not just bans on bringing in certain drugs, but also quantity limits on some drugs. 

(We were embarking on a cruise this summer in Denmark, and I was surprised to learn that I could only enter the country with a specified amount of a particular medication that I take.  As it turns out, I was not checked at Customs, but I could have been, and I certainly did not want to start our trip out with a possible hassle or worse when entering that country.)

My husband is on several meds a day including insulin. For us we've always just stuck all his pill bottles and shots in a clear ziplock bag for traveling and place in our carry ons.  We've never had issues. I know plenty of people use the pill a day boxes and have no problems at all.

For us we look at it like this... what if we get stuck somewhere for whatever reason... then he has enough meds til his next refill. I'd rather him have too many than not enough incase anything ever happens and delays us from getting home

On 12/27/2018 at 1:30 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I'd bring more meds than he needs, though. LIke 14 days worth for a 7 night trip, because you never know when you are going to get stranded.

I second this comment. My mum broke a hip in port in Thailand and they sailed onto Singapore where she had a surgery. My dad ran out of his medications because of the extra week they were away.