Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MrmrsSteelman

Sloths, Monkeys and Ronys tours....

Recommended Posts

We have booked a private car for the day with Ronys tours to go see the sloths, monkeys and iguanas. Then to go have lunch on a beach. We leave in 11 days and I wanted to get a better idea on how much money to take for the excursion. I contacted Ronny and now he is saying it is $10 pp to see sloths and then $15 pp to see the moneys. I thought he was taking us to Daniel Johnson’s but he is taking us to manawaki park. I’ve been researching this stop for 6 months now and have never seen that park talked about on here. Now I’m feeling a bit unsure. Has anyone been to it? Does that sound pricey? Should we book with someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MrmrsSteelman said:

We have booked a private car for the day with Ronys tours to go see the sloths, monkeys and iguanas. Then to go have lunch on a beach. We leave in 11 days and I wanted to get a better idea on how much money to take for the excursion. I contacted Ronny and now he is saying it is $10 pp to see sloths and then $15 pp to see the moneys. I thought he was taking us to Daniel Johnson’s but he is taking us to manawaki park. I’ve been researching this stop for 6 months now and have never seen that park talked about on here. Now I’m feeling a bit unsure. Has anyone been to it? Does that sound pricey? Should we book with someone else?

 

We had a tour through Rony’s and i did feel some of the entrance fees he quoted were higher than booking direct.

 

I have never seen any of the sloths or monkeys but it amazes me how a place as small as Roatan can support so many wild life parks. Not sure if you have seen this website or their facebook page?

http://www.manawakieecopark.com

 

They seem to have sloths and monkeys but i don’t see prices listed, perhaps you could email direct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see why Rony would want to start taking people here.  They handle rescue animals and provide for other needs for Roatan.  That would fit with Rony and his values.  

 

The tours have various prices starting at $26 pp for an all around sight seeing tour. 

 

You could reach back out to Rony and specify Daniel Johnson's if you're paying for a private tour.  However, I don't see you missing anything by going to Manawakie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I can see why Rony would want to start taking people here.  They handle rescue animals and provide for other needs for Roatan.  That would fit with Rony and his values.  

 

The tours have various prices starting at $26 pp for an all around sight seeing tour. 

 

You could reach back out to Rony and specify Daniel Johnson's if you're paying for a private tour.  However, I don't see you missing anything by going to Manawakie.

 

 

Thanks Crew - couldn't get prices to come up earlier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I have a group of 19 doing a tour with Rony that day too.  I understand the price of admission to that park was $15.00 per person to see monkeys and sloths.  Maybe we will see on the tour!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cooganbs said:

Hi,

 

I have a group of 19 doing a tour with Rony that day too.  I understand the price of admission to that park was $15.00 per person to see monkeys and sloths.  Maybe we will see on the tour!

 

Are you having him take you anywhere else? I really would also like to snorkel, but when I messaged him, he didn’t answer me if that would be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you that snorkeling is possible.  West Bay is beautiful. The reef is incredible just a few feet from shore.  I'm sure Rony will help you make the most of your day.  We have toured with him for many years.

 

Manawaki is much closer to port.  Johnson's is okay- the sloths are amazing, but it is just a tiny place with small cages.  Manawaki is a gorgeous setting in the rainforest. It would be a better choice for anyone that wants to go to the beach or snorkeling as it is much closer to West Bay. Daniel Johnson's is in the opposite direction.

 

We know Rony very well, and I I'm very certain he is not adding fees to the admission charges at any location. He charges his fee for transportation, but doesnt add to amounts that sights charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #1TravelMom said:

I can tell you that snorkeling is possible.  West Bay is beautiful. The reef is incredible just a few feet from shore.  I'm sure Rony will help you make the most of your day.  We have toured with him for many years.

 

Manawaki is much closer to port.  Johnson's is okay- the sloths are amazing, but it is just a tiny place with small cages.  Manawaki is a gorgeous setting in the rainforest. It would be a better choice for anyone that wants to go to the beach or snorkeling as it is much closer to West Bay. Daniel Johnson's is in the opposite direction.

 

We know Rony very well, and I I'm very certain he is not adding fees to the admission charges at any location. He charges his fee for transportation, but doesnt add to amounts that sights charge.

 

I was just confused on the pricing. Was it 15 to see sloths and then another 10:to see monkeys? I understand now it’s just $15 pp to enter the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, #1TravelMom said:

I can tell you that snorkeling is possible.  West Bay is beautiful. The reef is incredible just a few feet from shore.  I'm sure Rony will help you make the most of your day.  We have toured with him for many years.

 

Manawaki is much closer to port.  Johnson's is okay- the sloths are amazing, but it is just a tiny place with small cages.  Manawaki is a gorgeous setting in the rainforest. It would be a better choice for anyone that wants to go to the beach or snorkeling as it is much closer to West Bay. Daniel Johnson's is in the opposite direction.

 

We know Rony very well, and I I'm very certain he is not adding fees to the admission charges at any location. He charges his fee for transportation, but doesnt add to amounts that sights charge.

 

All I know is the price he quoted me was higher than the prices the places quoted when I wrote to them direct. 

 

We did tour with one of his drivers but didn’t go to the places in question so I cannot answer what the price would have been “on the day”,  although I would have had copies of the emails with me.

 

He did provide a good, safe driver but he was definitely a “driver” and not a “tour guide”.

Fortunately I had a good idea of where I wanted to go as the driver barely spoke to us. 

Edited by c-leg5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, MrmrsSteelman said:

 

Are you having him take you anywhere else? I really would also like to snorkel, but when I messaged him, he didn’t answer me if that would be possible.

Hi,  we're dropping small gifts to children in a local village and doing the park.  After that I hope we have time for lunch and a beach visit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 6:35 PM, #1TravelMom said:

I can tell you that snorkeling is possible.  West Bay is beautiful. The reef is incredible just a few feet from shore.  I'm sure Rony will help you make the most of your day.  We have toured with him for many years.

 

Manawaki is much closer to port.  Johnson's is okay- the sloths are amazing, but it is just a tiny place with small cages.  Manawaki is a gorgeous setting in the rainforest. It would be a better choice for anyone that wants to go to the beach or snorkeling as it is much closer to West Bay. Daniel Johnson's is in the opposite direction.

 

We know Rony very well, and I I'm very certain he is not adding fees to the admission charges at any location. He charges his fee for transportation, but doesnt add to amounts that sights charge.

We are going to do a private tour with Rony in march.  The plan is to go to Manawaki to see the sloths and then we are debating if we should go to West Bay Beach and snorkel or just add the snorkel tour with Rony.  Has anyone done the snorkeling portion with rony?  I haven't found any photos or videos of this portion of his tours anywhere.  Where does he take you to snorkel?  we have been to West Bay beach once but didn't get snorkel.  It stormed most of the day  So trying to decide time wise if its better to do a snorkel tour or try west bay beach again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 6:35 PM, #1TravelMom said:

I can tell you that snorkeling is possible.  West Bay is beautiful. The reef is incredible just a few feet from shore.  I'm sure Rony will help you make the most of your day.  We have toured with him for many years.

 

Manawaki is much closer to port.  Johnson's is okay- the sloths are amazing, but it is just a tiny place with small cages.  Manawaki is a gorgeous setting in the rainforest. It would be a better choice for anyone that wants to go to the beach or snorkeling as it is much closer to West Bay. Daniel Johnson's is in the opposite direction.

 

We know Rony very well, and I I'm very certain he is not adding fees to the admission charges at any location. He charges his fee for transportation, but doesnt add to amounts that sights charge.

Manawakie has updated their website and are showing a beach pool area.  Is this on their property or is it somewhere else?  This may be a good option for the entire day with our kids.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is definitely no beach/pool area at Manawakie, we were just there 2 weeks ago.  They are trying to do package deals like the other places. 

 

We originally planned on Daniel Johnsons but Rony recommended Manawakie for $10.  We still drove by Johnsons to check and decide and it was very crowded.  Got to Manawakie and we were only ones there, it was great, no hurry or rush with sloth or monkey.  When I went to pay lady said 15, I said Rony said 10, she like ok 10.  2 more cars pulled in right when we were finishing up.

 

Loved our tour with Ronys.  Do the custom tour and you can see as much or as little as you want, for as much time as you want. Driver was very nice and we fit so much in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Piper934 said:

There is definitely no beach/pool area at Manawakie, we were just there 2 weeks ago.  They are trying to do package deals like the other places. 

 

We originally planned on Daniel Johnsons but Rony recommended Manawakie for $10.  We still drove by Johnsons to check and decide and it was very crowded.  Got to Manawakie and we were only ones there, it was great, no hurry or rush with sloth or monkey.  When I went to pay lady said 15, I said Rony said 10, she like ok 10.  2 more cars pulled in right when we were finishing up.

 

Loved our tour with Ronys.  Do the custom tour and you can see as much or as little as you want, for as much time as you want. Driver was very nice and we fit so much in. 

Thanks we are thinking about doing the private tour.  Just trying to decide what else to do after Manawakie.   We did West Bay Beach last time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see mention of Ronys for a private tour, but I can not locate this tour company/person.  Can anyone provide me with contact information?

 

I will be arriving at Amber Cove in November and due to a disability really need to do a private tour with my family.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I see mention of Ronys for a private tour, but I can not locate this tour company/person.  Can anyone provide me with contact information?

 

I will be arriving at Amber Cove in November and due to a disability really need to do a private tour with my family.

 

Thank you.

 

Amber Cove is Dominican Republic.

 

Google Rony Roatan for website you require.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked into Daniel Johnsons, and you can only hold the sloths until 11am. My ship doesn't even get to port until 10, so I don't think that will work for us...would this place let you hold the sloths after 11am? This is on mine and my grand daughters bucket list....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 9:23 AM, MrmrsSteelman said:

We have booked a private car for the day with Ronys tours to go see the sloths, monkeys and iguanas. Then to go have lunch on a beach. We leave in 11 days and I wanted to get a better idea on how much money to take for the excursion. I contacted Ronny and now he is saying it is $10 pp to see sloths and then $15 pp to see the moneys. I thought he was taking us to Daniel Johnson’s but he is taking us to manawaki park. I’ve been researching this stop for 6 months now and have never seen that park talked about on here. Now I’m feeling a bit unsure. Has anyone been to it? Does that sound pricey? Should we book with someone else?

We are thinking about doing Manawakie Park as part of a private tour with Ronys Tours or Victor Bodden in December.  What else did you decide to do? Where you pleased with your experience?  Thanks for your input. Dana 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 7:29 AM, richbum said:

I looked into Daniel Johnsons, and you can only hold the sloths until 11am. My ship doesn't even get to port until 10, so I don't think that will work for us...would this place let you hold the sloths after 11am? This is on mine and my grand daughters bucket list....

You may want to compare your ship time to local time. There is a good chance they aren't the same. When we went in February there was an hour difference and now with daylight savings time I believe it is 2 hours. So 10 oclock ship time could be 9 or 8 island time depending on when you go. I hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

You may want to compare your ship time to local time. There is a good chance they aren't the same. When we went in February there was an hour difference and now with daylight savings time I believe it is 2 hours. So 10 oclock ship time could be 9 or 8 island time depending on when you go. I hope this helps!

 

Thank you so much for this info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, richbum said:

I looked into Daniel Johnsons, and you can only hold the sloths until 11am. My ship doesn't even get to port until 10, so I don't think that will work for us...would this place let you hold the sloths after 11am? This is on mine and my grand daughters bucket list....

 

Very much depends on where you are sailing from, time of year you sail and whether the captain changes ship time to local time. Here is a recent thread on Roatan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

 

Very much depends on where you are sailing from, time of year you sail and whether the captain changes ship time to local time. Here is a recent thread on Roatan

We are cruising on the Carnival Magic January 2021. I am really hoping we can make it in time to hold them...but my granddaughter and I have this on our bucket list!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving from Florida, there are two hours difference in Roatan so if your ship is supposed to arrive at 10am, it will only be 8am local time!  Keep a watch with you as cell phones do tend to update to local time.  We are going to Roatan in June and can't wait!.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

           would you be able to provide which palaces you visited with Roney's private tour? I am heading out to Roatan with carnival in july and wanted to do the private tour.

This is what i am thinking to do visiting these places the Monkey & Sloth hang out, Iguana Farm, Roatán Chocolate Factory and such.

Then have little time at the beach and relax before heading back to the ship.

 

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...