Hiking in Tortola

InsertWittyUserNameHere

Hi all,

I’m looking for a hiking/exploring day in Tortola. Mount Sage National Park looks like a good bet, but I’m trying to figure out the best way to get there. I can get a taxi around the port I assume, but will they pickup by the mountain also?  Anyone know how long a trip it is from port?

Let us know if you hike there and a report.  We'd like to do a hike and a beach when we go, but are only in port from 7 to 3.  We are a fmily of 6 so transportation is always a top question.  Would appreciate any tips...it does sound like a great hike!

• 4 months later...
On 12/26/2018 at 12:24 PM, InsertWittyUserNameHere said:

Hi all,

I’m looking for a hiking/exploring day in Tortola. Mount Sage National Park looks like a good bet, but I’m trying to figure out the best way to get there. I can get a taxi around the port I assume, but will they pickup by the mountain also?  Anyone know how long a trip it is from port?

Any update?  We are going next week and want to get a taxi to sage mt to hik, then go to Brewer's Bay for a little beach time, then a taxi back to port.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, cruising7 said:

Any update?  We are going next week and want to get a taxi to sage mt to hik, then go to Brewer's Bay for a little beach time, then a taxi back to port.

We traveled with Celebrity Edge to Tortola in March, and hiked Mount Sage.  If nature and forests are your thing, I highly recommend it!     The foliage is tall and lush, and the unbelievably blue water will peek out at you from behind the trees at various points.   For transportation from  the ship to Mount Sage,  simply exit the ship and walk about five minutes to the same area where everyone else is picking up a taxi .  Those taxi drivers become akin to your personal driver for a bit – they will take you to the mountain AND back, just give them a time estimate of when you want them to come back and pick you up.  We said 1.5 hours, but add extra time if you want to enjoy a banana milkshake or Painkiller coconut cocktail at the gift shop after your hike!  A family of 6 is perfect to fill one taxi (which are really large vans/SUVs), but if you are a smaller group of 2 or 1, the drivers would prefer you gather ahead of time with another group of people from your ship who also want to visit Mt. Sage.   We sympathized with their perspective - they lose money driving only 2 people to the mountain, when they could instead be driving 6 people to the more popular beaches.  

I think the drive was 20min.  Make friends with your driver and ask lots of quesitoms - they’ve got hilarious stories about tourists, and insider knowledge of the island’s economy and history.

You will definitely have time to hike Mt Sage and also do another activity while in port.  Maybe ask your driver what beach is on your way back to port from the mountain.

• Like 1