Queen Mary Hotel

lisagro

We have stayed there twice, but many years ago.  Personally, I would stay there and enjoy the history of real ocean travel.  The ship reeks of history and every time you turn a corner you expect to see Winston, Marilyn, Stanley or Oliver.  The rooms can be a little small so I would splurge and go as big as you can afford.     

I'm staying there next month for one night before a Princess cruise that leaves from neighboring San Pedro.  I shall report back.  

I've sailed on the QM2 twice and loved it but I was born too late to have sailed on the original Queen Mary when she was in service so this is the next best thing I guess.

We stayed there for one night a few years ago. I thought it was fascinating and well worth the cost for a “First Class” cabin! Just be aware it’s an old ship that still has its original cabin layout on the decks used for hotel rooms. The rooms are reflective of the era in which they were built and bear little resemblance to a modern hotel room. If things like operating portholes and original woodwork interest you, then you will love it!

• Like 3

I agree with what Cindy said. Think of it as a history-rich experience, and somewhat like staying in a museum. This is not a Hilton, or anything like what your cabin will be like on your actual cruise. I get a little bit irked when people complain about the Queen Mary not living up to their expectations because it's a little too cramped, or too 'run down (old)', or they might see a bug or two. But if you embrace it for it's quirks and character, and think you'll have a great experience. 🙂 My family is going to stay there the night after we return from our cruise in the spring, and I'm very excited. We've walked around it before, but never stayed the night. I can't wait.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I agree with what Cindy said. Think of it as a history-rich experience, and somewhat like staying in a museum. This is not a Hilton, or anything like what your cabin will be like on your actual cruise. I get a little bit irked when people complain about the Queen Mary not living up to their expectations because it's a little too cramped, or too 'run down (old)', or they might see a bug or two. But if you embrace it for it's quirks and character, and think you'll have a great experience. 🙂 My family is going to stay there the night after we return from our cruise in the spring, and I'm very excited. We've walked around it before, but never stayed the night. I can't wait.

I think this summarizes the QM "experience" very well. We hugely enjoyed our stay there two years ago, but you have to go in with your eyes open and be a bit tolerant of its age and condition. We found the staff and service to be excellent, the food (in the Chowder House) to be very good, the Observation Bar was a great venue, though jammed with people. The ship exudes history and is great to walk through, but the only downside for us was the room. As has been pointed out, they rooms can be old and a bit dingy, with vintage plumbing, though everything worked. The only issue we had was the local insect population in the room being more than we would have liked, but all in all, the QM stay was a highlight of our trip and well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed there years ago and it reminded me of the Carnival Mardi Gras. I loved it. My kids were younger back then and my oldest was in Jr High and she wrote a ghost story when we got back home for a class. The teacher loved it and wanted to keep a copy of it. I just wish I could find the story again. 

Over all it was fun for us to stay at. We also did the ghost tour which was fun.

They are doing monthly para-normal night tours and inviting some of the TV para-normal investigators or well known mediums/psychics to host.  We were onboard for a cocktail last weekend before going over to Catalina for the weekend and it looked like a lot of fun.  The bartender told us that some people get so freaked they will walk off the ship mid-show.   

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

I just spent a night on the Queen Mary last week before a cruise on the Ruby Princess; it was fabulous!  I thought I would share my notes in case anyone is interested in what my impressions were whilst they were happening.

01/18/2019 - 8.05pm:

"Upon arrival at LAX, we got an Uber to the Queen Mary in Long Beach [$33 ride].  Since we arrived around noon, we left the bags with the bellman and went to have lunch at the Promenade Cafe.  The burger was delicious and Mum loved her Reuben sandwich.  It was a little pricey but not too bad for a hotel restaurant.  

The Queen Mary is just amazing though!  It's a shame that more of these older luxury liners have not been preserved; it makes for a unique hotel in addition to being a window into the past.  The public areas have an embarrassment of original Art Deco details [frosted glass panels, wood paneling with detailed marquetry, original Linoleum flooring that just must be filled with asbestos, etc.] whilst the staterooms have an even larger abundance of original details.  Our room, A149, is filled with built-in wood shelving, marble-topped surfaces, and burled wood veneers.  What an experience it must have been to sail her when she was in service.  Even though I was born too late to sail her, I feel lucky to have the chance to stay the night on the legendary lady."

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

You left out a photo of the "sea water" and "fresh water" handles in the bathroom.  When we stayed on her I found that quirk interesting.  The "sea water" knobs didn't work.  

Just for you!

[I also found it interesting...too bad they no longer work]

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

1 hour ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Bostonjetset,  Thank you for your pics of the beautiful QM.  We are staying there in March, after our cruise.  Cant wait to walk those halls, and reflect on the history that has seeped into that beautiful vessel.  

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.  Have a great time on the QM!  She is like no other. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thank you for sharing those pictures, Bostonjetset.  We are staying on the Queen Mary before our cruise in less than 2 weeks, and now I'm even more excited to see this her!  My husband's grandfather rode home from WWII on the QM.  I wish he was still living so we could talk to him about it!

Janis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coasterjan said:

Wow, thank you for sharing those pictures, Bostonjetset.  We are staying on the Queen Mary before our cruise in less than 2 weeks, and now I'm even more excited to see this her!  My husband's grandfather rode home from WWII on the QM.  I wish he was still living so we could talk to him about it!

Janis

Wow what a special story you’ll have to think about during your time aboard her. Enjoy!! 

I have a question about the Queen Mary for anyone who has previously stayed. Do you recall if they will mail packages for you from the front desk? Some hotels do. We're hoping to mail a lot of our luggage home after the cruise to lighten the load, especially after all the shopping we'll be doing in the ports! And if there is no option to mail from the Queen Mary, is there any UPS/MailBoxes Etc type place closeby? We don't need a full post office. Worst case, we can take an Uber, but hoping to do it right there at the hotel.

• 1 month later...

I loved every minute of my stay! Was disappointed that I didn’t have much time there.  I wanted to stay this year pre-cruise but there is a concert there that weekend and the rates are sky high.

Go with your eyes wide open.  It’s antique luxury but wandering the sun deck at night by yourself is one of the best experiences.  The place reeks of history and you can almost feel like you travelled to a different time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying for two nights pre cruise in April, just before sailing over Easter on The Royal Princess.  As we are Floridians and live close to all four of our Ports (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and Port Canaveral), this is the first cruise EVER, that we are flying to the other coast to sail from.   I am so excited and feel it is going to be awesome to enjoy The Queen Mary before our Royal Princess cruise.