RCCL issues crime warning for Nassau

SakeDad

And RC is always very concerned about cruiser safety.  Earlier this year on Mariner we had a pirate alert for the last 3 nights before entering the Red Sea.  From sundown to sunrise no one was allowed on the outside of the upper decks. No external lights were allowed and armed guards were on the upper decks.  It was a great success, there were no pirate incidents.

Not only will I not get off the ship in Nassau, I refuse to take a cruise that stops in Nassau.  Twice was more than enough, I have visited the pirate museum.

Edited by mugtech
Word missed

6 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Sorry but Nassau is one of my favorite ports. It's not dangerous at all if you use your brain.

US government warns it's citizens of how dangerous it is on Mindanao, but the same idea applies.  You have to be aware and know what up.  I know a few US citizens who have lived there for years with their families, no fear.  It is some of the best surfing on the over 7,100 islands of the Philippines.

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

And RC is always very concerned about cruiser safety.  Earlier this year on Mariner we had a pirate alert for the last 3 nights before entering the Red Sea.  From sundown to sunrise no one was allowed on the outside of the upper decks. No external lights were allowed and armed guards were on the upper decks.  It was a great success, there were no pirate incidents.

Not only will I not get off the ship in Nassau, I refuse to take a cruise that stops in Nassau.  Twice was more than enough, I have visited the pirate museum.

You must mean FAKE news alert, not pirate alert... We were on the Mariner cruise you reference and there was no pirate alert. Its STANDARD procedure to go 'dark' at night and bring on the UK special operators as the ship is in the Gulf of Aden.

Were you the one peeking out the window looking for the pirates with eye patches? 😂

• Haha 1

Junkanoo Beach is a decent beach and not far from cruise port. We took a cab ride there. Enjoyed the gentle waves and warm water. We walked back to ship. In the past we’ve gone to Cable beach. 

While not our favorite place we try to take advantage of any beach we find.

Caution in the market place. Stay with a group. 

The island people are decent for the most part. Government needs cruise ship revenue. Locals need to eat.

• Like 1

Nassau is generally just a boring stop for us.    Haven't been there in a few years.    Heading there as 1st stop on Allure in February.    Most of my group will simply stay on board.   Two have never toured the aquarium at Atlantis and they're doing that. That's kinda of a fun thing to do once.   I'll likely get off for an hour or so and walk around Paradise Lake and look at the super yachts.    Then on board to relax in the Solarium.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cementhands said:

The island people are decent for the most part. Government needs cruise ship revenue. Locals need to eat.

True, but Nassau is losing a lot of money by failing to make the place more appealing for the passengers.  They can do whatever they want but the first impression with all the vendors and drivers as soon as you come out of the port is very unpleasant.  There is a seediness about the whole area and the atmosphere is more of being accosted by vultures rather than of having landed in a tropical paradise.  Atlantis is proof that people are more than willing to visit and spend lavishly, but you certainly don't feel like doing so in the main tourist area.  As for the government, I don't see what they  have done to improve the situation in spite of taking in countless millions in port fees over decades.   The place is very run down which suggests misappropriation of all that money over the years and a general we-don't-care attitude.

As for the locals, it's simply impossible to assume they are unaware that screaming aggressively at people is an appropriate way to welcome them or make them want to stick around long enough to drop much cash.  I thought that back in the mid-1980's when I first visited.  Maybe it's just their way.  Maybe they don't understand tourists.  Even if that were accurate at the time, which I doubt, it's pretty ridiculous that they are still using such tactics, which, frankly, make them look both rude and stupid.

I have seen loads of comments about how crummy Nassau is, but never one about it being anyone's favorite. Coincidence?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

The black out and safe haven drill  is more common than many think.  We sailed the Gulf of Aden  a few years ago and had the evening black out for 4 or 5 days.   We had extra security on board constantly viewing the surroundings.  In addition to the  precautions you mentioned, we were told to keep cabin curtains closed in the evenings.   We had a safe haven drill before entering the area. 

M

• Like 1

Been to Nassau about 12 times in the past 4-5 years...no issues anywhere...stay smart....no different than any other stop really. Actually feels more comfortable and safe then Falmouth, Jamaica....that's for sure!

These type of warnings come and go.....isn't there still a Zika virus warning out there for some countries?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

As for the locals, it's simply impossible to assume they are unaware that screaming aggressively at people is an appropriate way to welcome them or make them want to stick around long enough to drop much cash.  I thought that back in the mid-1980's when I first visited.  Maybe it's just their way.  Maybe they don't understand tourists.  Even if that were accurate at the time, which I doubt, it's pretty ridiculous that they are still using such tactics, which, frankly, make them look both rude and stupid.

I have seen loads of comments about how crummy Nassau is, but never one about it being anyone's favorite. Coincidence? See post # 5

I have never had a local screaming aggressively at me and I'v been to Nassau many many times.

• Like 1

We've been to Nassau at least 10 times, including one stay at Atlantis.  We've never felt in any type of danger or had any issues with anyone, but I will say, the last time we were there in late April 2018, we could tell how downhill the downtown has gone.  Multiple stores that we used to go to are no longer there.  It's dirtier and less appealing that it used to be.   We always walk into the straw market (mainly to use the bathroom) and haven't had a problem there either.  At least 2 times we've been there, we've just stayed on the ship.  This is also not the first warning.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

I have never had a local screaming aggressively at me and I'v been to Nassau many many times.

I'm glad to hear it!  I'm also glad you like it.  I am shouted at simply by passing through the vendors every time.  I would say it must just be me, but I'm always in a big crowd experiencing the same thing; still, if I am doing something to attract this behavior, I would love to learn how to stop it. What's your secret?????

I had hoped to avoid it when I brought my senior citizen father, but he experienced it as well and uses rather more colorful language than I do to describe his opinions, none of which can be repeated here.  Suffice to say, he will likely never take another cruise with Nassau as a port of call, or at minimum will stay on the ship.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Same here.  Been to Nassau likely 50, (yes 50)  times as many of our cruises  seem to stop there.   We always get off and often take the local bus to the Daq. Shack, Baha mar, Cable Beach, fish fry, etc.  RCCL recently  sent a letter with some common sense travel comments such as don't wear lots of jewelry, don't open  a wad of  money, be aware of your surroundings etc,. good suggestions for ANY  CITY, even at home.  

M

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Same here.  Been to Nassau likely 50, (yes 50)  times as many of our cruises  seem to stop there.   We always get off and often take the local bus to the Daq. Shack, Baha mar, Cable Beach, fish fry, etc.  RCCL recently  sent a letter with some common sense travel comments such as don't wear lots of jewelry, don't open  a wad of  money, be aware of your surroundings etc,. good suggestions for ANY  CITY, even at home.  

M

This is great! It's obviously something I am doing; need to be more self-aware of my appearance and my actions.

30 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

This is great! It's obviously something I am doing; need to be more self-aware of my appearance and my actions.

If we find ourselves near vendors, we find a simple "no thank you" works wonders.

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

We were in Nassau in Oct 2018. To be honest we likely would not have gotten off but, we had some of our kids with us who had not been. In general, we also treat Nassau like a sea day. After having not gotten off for several years I was interested to see how things were now. In all honesty it did look more seedy than I remembered. The vendors at the Straw Market did try to entice but, no one yelled at us. 

• Like 1

We typically visit Nassau several times a year and have never felt unsafe or had a problem.  We are always polite and friendly to the locals and they respond in kind.

No matter where you are traveling to, it's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings, keep a low profile, and leave expensive jewelry and cash on the ship. Crime exists everywhere (including US Cities), especially in high tourist ares.  .

• Like 1