Pre-Cruise Hotel Packages - IC Tahiti

Hutchinj

We are considering a pre-cruise stay at the IC Tahiti Resort in Papeete. Looking on the pgcruises.com website, I see they offer a "1 Night with Morning Arrival" pre-cruise package. Does that guarantee you an early check-in? Or must you book the "Additional Night" option for that?

And what is the difference between "Air/Sea Program" and "Cruise Only" program? Sorry, the descriptions provided on the website are a bit confusing.

Here is my understanding of the difference between "cruise only" and "air/sea package".  If you have PG take care of your air, which means flying ATN usually, then they will take care that you get to the ship, which often means taking you to a hotel for a few hours to wait (perhaps with no room of your own, but shower privileges and perhaps lunch) or transportation directly to the ship if you fly in late. I would not assume that there would be early check-in--we once had a bad experience with a day room at the IC--had to sit around and wait, then line up to get checked in.   With a pre-cruise package you would be more likely to get early check-in I would think, and you will be taken to the ship at the correct time, usually 3 p.m., but you'll still have to check out at the regular time.

The difference for disembarkation is that with the air/sea package, you get to stay on the ship until about noon (and can go into town to shop at the market if you like), then you are transported to a hotel and given a day room (with an optional bus tour as well).  Then in the evening you are transported by bus to the airport for your flight.

So "cruise only" does none of these things. Depending on arrival time, you would have to arrange accommodation and transportation to the ship.  You  also must disembark by about 9 a.m. at the end of the cruise and make your own arrangements for awaiting your flight and getting to the airport (although they will arrange a cab for you.)   We've done it this way several times.

To add to this discussion, last May we did the same two day package as alwaysonaship.  I looked into doing a red eye from LAX and then a one night stay at the IC before boarding.  My understanding was they would give us a day room upon arrival and stay that one night.  All transfers and a breakfast and lunch were included in that package.

Well, we ended up doing a two day package with an evening arrival versus the red eye.   This got us in at around midnight, but allowed us to sleep in a bed that night versus on the red eye flight.  So, the charge for two nights at the IC versus one with a day room was not much more.  It was worth it to us as we got to sleep in a bed and then enjoy the fabulous IC all day the next day versus the red eye where we would have probably slept most of that day.  Included were the transfers and two breakfasts and one lunch.

I have a hard time sleeping on a red eye flight, so for us this was very relaxing and we really enjoyed our stay at the IC.

We also got to use the IC dayroom on our last day, after a resort stay at Vahine private island, and this was an excellent end to our trip. Leaving everything to PG for us was worth the extra cost, we consider this our favorite vacation and we can't wait to return.

Doug