NCL Shore Excursion credit $50 per port

kevmoley

Does anyone have experience with the Free Choice of Shore Excursions with NCL in the amount of $50.00 per cabin/per port? I am being told that you can only use this credit WHEN you are actually onboard the ship and you cannot use it to purchase excursions before your sailing? This doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I have been on sailings where shore excursions sell out before you go on your trip. *****!

According to the terms and conditions, you can purchase shore excursions over the phone:

Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

For the guests that book their excursions online; they are charged full retail for the excursions and the discount will be applied onboard in the form of a credit to their onboard account.

Edited by shof515

I have used this credit and what KeighJenner says is accurate. You can book excursions by phone and they won't be charged at the time. They will be onboard charges. Then upon completion of each excursion you will be credited the $50.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kevmoley said:

Does anyone have experience with the Free Choice of Shore Excursions with NCL in the amount of $50.00 per cabin/per port? I am being told that you can only use this credit WHEN you are actually onboard the ship and you cannot use it to purchase excursions before your sailing? This doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I have been on sailings where shore excursions sell out before you go on your trip. *****!

You should read the instructions for using the credit (above) and call for your shore excursions. We do this on multiple cruises a year. You reserve without paying. 

Money the ship, Day 1, your room account is billed for all of your shoreex and tickets are delivered to your stateroom. 

WHEN YOU COMPLETE your shoreex, a $50 credit is added to your account. If you have additional Latitudes discounts, check the billing to ensure that your discount has been properly applied (usually isn’t). 

Edited by BirdTravels

When you phone the shore excursions desk in Miami they will ask for your booking reservation and will see you have the shore excursion perk.   Then when you book (RESERVE) your shore excursions you will receive a confirmatory email that does NOT have any prices on it.

Then it will be as BirdTravels says.  But it isn't "usually isn't" it isn't!!!   That is because Miami does not post any pricing. You have to go to shore excursions on board and tell them that you have the perk, give them your room card to confirm.

We’ve used it by calling the shore excursion department and booking in advance. Prepayment not necessary and latitude discount is taken off the cost before the $50 credit making the savings a little better.  Shore excursion department has been very knowledgeable every time I call them and they’re happy to give you a running total of what will actually be charged onboard. For some reason they don’t include totals in email confirmation so good to ask especially on port intensive longer sailings when using the credits for lots of excursions. Good to keep a running total to make sure credits and discount applies once onboard. 

9 hours ago, shof515 said:

According to the terms and conditions, you can purchase shore excursions over the phone:

To save time, maintain our forcasted budget and booking mistakes by the phone clerks or guest services, we always book online when possible.  It also always us the leisure of investigate the excursions and reviews as well as confirm our over scheduling strategy.   Of course, we always get our $50 shore excursion credit that we let build up to purchase the Cruise Next certificate.

19 hours ago, kevmoley said:

Call and reserve you ShoreEX from NCL before sailing, but don't pay until you are on teh ship. The costs will be added to your on board account, and after you complete the excursions a $50 refund for each port will appear. (Note it is $50 per cabin not per person.)

It's a quick and easy phone call for shore excursions. I've cancelled 1 and changed another and they immediately show up on my vacation summary.

I've read here that you can use your credits for reserving the clam shells on GSC and HC once on board. When I asked the representative I was told no. I'm still heading to the Shore Ex desk on first day to see if they will allow me to reserve, we are stopping at both so it would be a nice way to use up that credit 🙂

20 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

For some reason they don’t include totals in email confirmation so good to ask especially on port intensive longer sailings when using the credits for lots of excursions. Good to keep a running total to make sure credits and discount applies once onboard. 

One tip, because shorex prices can increase between the time you book on the phone and when you actually take the excursion:  before you call NCL to book, take a screen shot of the actual shorex price at that time, and bring it with you on the cruise, as proof of the booking price.  Also, ask the NCL rep to email you a price confirmation at the time you book (usually in the form of an amenities invoice); most told me they had no way to do this, but one person was able to do it.  At the very least, have your screenshot.

8 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

This may be off topic but are you allowed more than 4 ports for the excursion credits now?

Yes.  Our next med has the distinctive voyage and free at sea shore excursion credit along with a nice chunk of ncl obc. 12 ports with free or next to nothing shore excursions. Latitudes discount comes off the top. Then the $100 discount and obc takes care of the remaining balance on the few that are higher priced. 

43 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

One tip, because shorex prices can increase between the time you book on the phone and when you actually take the excursion:  before you call NCL to book, take a screen shot of the actual shorex price at that time, and bring it with you on the cruise, as proof of the booking price.  Also, ask the NCL rep to email you a price confirmation at the time you book (usually in the form of an amenities invoice); most told me they had no way to do this, but one person was able to do it.  At the very least, have your screenshot.

Good idea!

I ended up calling and speaking to a rep on the phone. I purchased a shore excursion and paid for it in full (minus the Latitudes discount) and printed the email. The rep said once I board the ship the 50.00 discount will be credited to my account. This way I wont be stuck for a $1000.00 plus charge when on board the ship..

26 minutes ago, Snowdropguide said:

If I book a shore excursion on line through my ncl account does it have to be paid before hand or will we be billed once on the ship and will we still get the shore excursion credit? Thanks

if you do online, you will have to pay for it with a credit card when you complete the transaction

if you do over the phone, you do not have to pay for it and will be billed on the ship