How is cruising in January?

danak13

It's been hit or miss for us. Our family did a New Year's cruise every year from 2012-2018 (skipping this year!) . I wouldn't call any of the years super warm - the only one in my memory was when we left out of San Juan instead of Florida. Last year in Cozumel we had 70 and breezy, and then Roatan it was about 70 as well - warm enough to enjoy the sunshine, but not the pool!  It's better than the weather you're probably dealing with though! Just bring a few light layers so you're not caught off guard. 

We've always had smoother waters on Western routes vs. Eastern. It can be a little chilly and windy at night, but daytime is perfectly comfortable for me. Low humidity, light breeze. The gulf water may be a little cool but I've never found it unbearable. I am accustomed to Chicago winters and also think the Caribbean is miserable in the summer and fall. If you're used to a little warmer climate you may have a different opinion.

It can be hit, or miss.  Last year, when we sailed in January, Key West was in the 50’s.  But that was when the cold pushed down from the north, and Fort Lauderdale was upper 30’s.  The year before, it was upper 70’s. 

When we sail next week, it is calling for mid to upper 70’s. 

I guess it depends where you are cruising out of. We live in NY and try and cruise out of NYC as often as we can. In January it can get tricky. We've had cruises where you can sit out on the decks and enjoy the gorgeous scenery sailing down the Hudson and we've had 12 inches of snow on the deck as we left during a blizzard. 

If you are just referring to Tampa, we just arrived in Tampa on the Rhapsody after a TA and when we arrived the temp in Tampa was 42. it was warmer in NY, but alas it didn't last.

enjoy your cruise and the warm Caribbean weather.

Cheers

Len