Arriving Sydney by air - why not to bring

rhsjr

On 3/4/2019 at 8:52 AM, Goldconnection said:

I usually make up my own first aid kit ( cough drops, over the counter cold meds for people with high blood pressure, over the counter pain reliever, something for insect bites, and a few other item). Will I need to declare these items even if they are over the counter. My husband takes a prescribed heart medication will we need to declare those. He also takes several herbal pills will they on need to be declared. Should all items be in original packaging and not in pill boxes. I usually put items in small plastic bags and label is that a no-no?

We have several prescription medications that must travel with us, as well as some etc items we find useful own a daily basis.  We usually put items in small, labeled zip-lock bags, too.  And follow this up with digital pics on our phones of medication bottles showing label (our name, medication name, dosage) and one sample of the medication in the photo.  

What is the best advice from those in the know?  Thanks! 

On 1/26/2019 at 4:55 AM, Beanb41 said:

Australia and New Zealand are first world countries and down under we have everything here that you can buy at home. Normal commercial snacks are not a problem. 

I usually pack a stash of flute-free snacks to take on excursions (after a less than satisfactory selection in another "first world" country). I will be taking them on the ship following our stay in Sydney.  Are GF snacks readily available in Sydney for purchase?

On 8/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, GloriaF said:

We have several prescription medications that must travel with us, as well as some etc items we find useful own a daily basis.  We usually put items in small, labeled zip-lock bags, too.  And follow this up with digital pics on our phones of medication bottles showing label (our name, medication name, dosage) and one sample of the medication in the photo.  

What is the best advice from those in the know?  Thanks! 

I wanted to add the above plan will not work in Australia, as I've read from other travelers posting on this subject......I wish I remembered which thread and poster's name, but I don't:  One man wrote he had original bottles of blood pressure and cholesterol meds with him but no documentation.  He was taken to a separate room and questioned.  He said after a time the powers that be decided that to take his medication away would be a hardship for him and finally decided to let him keep them.

I learned my lesson from that and will be taking original bottles (no more than 90 day supply) and documentation required.  I'm guessing documentation means a letter from prescribing doctor or a copy of the scripts.  

7 hours ago, sippican said:

I usually pack a stash of flute-free snacks to take on excursions (after a less than satisfactory selection in another "first world" country). I will be taking them on the ship following our stay in Sydney.  Are GF snacks readily available in Sydney for purchase?

Most Woolworths or Coles (grocery stores) will have a small range of gluten free snacks, otherwise a health food store.

15 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Most Woolworths or Coles (grocery stores) will have a small range of gluten free snacks, otherwise a health food store.

Thanks!

(Also - good job translating flute-free, lol!)

I always pack some from home and hopefully I'll have no problem as long as I declare them.

48 minutes ago, sippican said:

Thanks!

(Also - good job translating flute-free, lol!)

I always pack some from home and hopefully I'll have no problem as long as I declare them.

Aldi is also pretty good for gluten free stuff.  

And yes, you should be fine. Definitely declare, but generally packaged, processed foods are no issue. 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:00 AM, GloriaF said:

I wanted to add the above plan will not work in Australia, as I've read from other travelers posting on this subject......I wish I remembered which thread and poster's name, but I don't:  One man wrote he had original bottles of blood pressure and cholesterol meds with him but no documentation.  He was taken to a separate room and questioned.  He said after a time the powers that be decided that to take his medication away would be a hardship for him and finally decided to let him keep them.

I learned my lesson from that and will be taking original bottles (no more than 90 day supply) and documentation required.  I'm guessing documentation means a letter from prescribing doctor or a copy of the scripts.  

We may need another carryon bag if we need to take our prescriptions in their original bottles.  Almost all of our drugs are 90 day supplies through mail order and they are not very accommodating to repackaging in smaller bottles for the 30 days we will need them.

Strange.  We have visited Australia twice in the last few years.  We went though  OZ customs five or six times because of trips to NZ and Fiji. Vanatu.

We always had prescription drugs with us. .  Each time, both land and sea entries, we zoomed through customs.   This past Feb we went through the entry and  customs procedure  at Gold Coast Airport in less five minutes. We breezed through.  Our previous experience just as fast.   The only thing the officer asked, in jest, is if we were smuggling in any maple syrup.   The first time went through Gold Coast DW had pain meds for the cracked vertebrae she experienced in KL.  The pills would have  been classified as highly restrictive.  Never a mention or an inquiry when we passed through.

In fact, we have been internationally for nine years-extensively.  Africa, Asia, Europe, NA, South and Central America, Japan.  Perhaps it is good fortune but we have never been asked about the prescriptions even when the entry folks clearly saw them as they went through the screening machine with our liquids.

It could be because we only have carry on.  Some people with large suitcases were being pulled aside.

Edited by iancal

On 8/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, iancal said:

Strange.  We have visited Australia twice in the last few years.  We went though  OZ customs five or six times because of trips to NZ and Fiji. Vanatu.

We always had prescription drugs with us. .  Each time, both land and sea entries, we zoomed through customs.   This past Feb we went through the entry and  customs procedure  at Gold Coast Airport in less five minutes. We breezed through.  Our previous experience just as fast.   The only thing the officer asked, in jest, is if we were smuggling in any maple syrup.   The first time went through Gold Coast DW had pain meds for the cracked vertebrae she experienced in KL.  The pills would have  been classified as highly restrictive.  Never a mention or an inquiry when we passed through.

In fact, we have been internationally for nine years-extensively.  Africa, Asia, Europe, NA, South and Central America, Japan.  Perhaps it is good fortune but we have never been asked about the prescriptions even when the entry folks clearly saw them as they went through the screening machine with our liquids.

It could be because we only have carry on.  Some people with large suitcases were being pulled aside.

I hope this will happen for us as well!!

What about over-the-counter drugs like low dose 81 mg aspirin and things like naproxen for pain (but sold OTC in the US) and in obvious printed bottles such as would sit on the shelf at Walmart?  Any issues with these?  While I feel sure most are easily available in Australian stores, I prefer not to waste time shopping for essentials when we only have 4-5 days in Sydney.

Edited by GloriaF

The only food we travel with on a regular basis is instant decaf coffee.  Just bought a jar yesterday to take with us next month.  We put the coffee in a plastic bag...jar is too heavy and not as flexible as the bag.  Never has a problem with that either-anywhere.

To answer your question...DW puts a few of this and that OTC drugs in a small bag.  The usual.  Claratins, IBprofan, and a small roll of tums. Never, ever been questioned about these either.   Our prescription pills and vitamin D are are in one bottle...usually the vitamin D container.  Cannot remember ever having a prescription label on any of them.  Besides, a prescription label is meaningless....anything could be in the container.  How much.  Usually a 60-70 day supply of everything to match up with the duration of our trips.

Could be because we are a couple of innocent (or perhaps stunned) looking oldies with carry on only bags that typically weigh in at 8-10KG.  Not much room for contraband drugs or a bunch of banned meat products  after our dirty laundry is bunged in.

What do people think...that countries in Europe and the Pacific Rim are third world and the retail shelves are somehow wanting of all products???    You can even buy peanut butter now! They are as advanced, and in some instance more advanced, than North America both in terms of technology and retail offerings.    And the beer and the wine is so much better.  Australia is not a penal colony any more.

Edited by iancal

The ONLY time we have had a problem anywhere with customs and immigration was in Vietnam.   The Xray machine at Hanoi airport  spotted a nail file that turned out to have slipped down the lining in my carry on.  What a to do that was.  Emptied the bag, the  whole nine yards. Thought we might miss our flight.  They were diligent to a fault and incredibly pleasant and polite.

The interesting part....That carry on was used by my spouse for several years.  I had been using it for about 8 years.  We went through Xray machines in airports and ports of entry/departure  around the world.  Countless air trips in the US and Canada.   Yet only one location in all that time picked it up on their radar. Go figure.

Edited by iancal

Thanks iancal.  It sounds like you & your wife lead a wonderfully adventurous traveling life!

I have no doubt Australia is as advanced or more so than the US, I just don't want to waste precious time shopping for mundane items.  Your explanation of what and how your various 'pills' are packed helps.  We can usually pack light and will strive to do so this trip, but 30 days from Sydney to Los Angeles requires such a variety of clothing that we will most likely need one checked bag each as well as our carry-ons.   If we wear our cold weather clothing on the plane, we may be able to get by with one checked bag for the two of us.  Free laundry onboard will help.

P.S. Funny story and perhaps kind of explains my shopping issue:  I used to routinely forget to pack my round brush, as it had to be kept out for hair styling the morning we left, and after use I would absent-mindedly put it back in the drawer...we have spent countless hours in different locales shopping for a brush just like my favorite one left at home. 

Edited by GloriaF

1 hour ago, GloriaF said:

Thanks iancal.  It sounds like you & your wife lead a wonderfully adventurous traveling life!

I have no doubt Australia is as advanced or more so than the US, I just don't want to waste precious time shopping for mundane items.  Your explanation of what and how your various 'pills' are packed helps.  We can usually pack light and will strive to do so this trip, but 30 days from Sydney to Los Angeles requires such a variety of clothing that we will most likely need one checked bag each as well as our carry-ons.   If we wear our cold weather clothing on the plane, we may be able to get by with one checked bag for the two of us.  Free laundry onboard will help.

P.S. Funny story and perhaps kind of explains my shopping issue:  I used to routinely forget to pack my round brush, as it had to be kept out for hair styling the morning we left, and after use I would absent-mindedly put it back in the drawer...we have spent countless hours in different locales shopping for a brush just like my favorite one left at home. 

But once you bought a second one, pack one and keep one in the drawer at home.

Because of frequent trips away and to hospital, I have a toiletries bag permenantly packed.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Nonnie1975 said:

Can you take in essential oils from the company Doterra? Use them for cuts, tummy aches and other stuff?

I can't see you would have a problem as long as they are in bottles no larger than 100 ml if you are taking them on an international flight in your carry on. I take a bottle of ti tree oil for bites.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

7 hours ago, Nonnie1975 said:

Can you take in essential oils from the company Doterra? Use them for cuts, tummy aches and other stuff?

Customs are not in the business of preventing tourists looking after themselves. They are however in the business of protecting their respective country at the border. One should appreciate that what may be permissible in their own country may be restricted or banned in another. My suggestion is to make a list of all meds and items that one may have concerns about irrespective of what is on the website declare everything and if asked provide the list to the officer and make sure that the items on the list are easily accessible normally in ones carry on bearing in mind that no liquids over 100ml can be carried through airport security. When we go cruising we carry a substantial first aid kit with us with everything in that kit listed for inspection if required. We are fortunate being regular visitors to Australia we know what is permitted and what is not. What we were unaware of until recently was that if taking certain drugs like codeine to Thailand for example , whilst the drug is permitted one must get permission from authorities first before leaving. We visit Thailand regularly and always had codeine in our first aid kit. Now when we travel we will leave the codeine at home.  Several years ago an Australian customs officer asked my wife what meds she had and she became somewhat flustered trying to remember what we had.. We got moved on relatively quickly but it reinforced us not to take border control officers for granted hence we now have a list .We have never been asked for the list since. 

• Like 1

Folks,  as mentioned many times on these pages,  DECLARE anything that you stick in your mouth (or other places on your body) on the incoming passenger form.

9 out of 10 times the quarantine people will hang around the luggage carousel and do a quick pre-check, looking at your form and let you know if you should go to the customs and quarantine line or straight out the door.

Are "Kind" snack bars available in Australia?  (and New Zealand?)

We depend upon these in case meals/snacks available are not suitable.

One of us needs a strict Gluten-Free diet, and the other has an unusual food allergy (something that is frequently served/included without notice.  Kind bars work for both of us.

But bars like those are bulky in quantity, and also especially heavy, so we can't bring too, too many with us on the plane.

(We can always get by with assorted nuts, but those can get boring after a while.  At least those tend to be easily available.)

As for meds, we always have then in labelled containers, and have copies of the scripts, and also a letter from physician.

No one has ever seemed interested in any of it...

Recently, we've gotten tiny ziploc bags, and asked the pharmacist for new labels for all meds, so we can stick proper pharmacy labels for each med.  Not only is there minimal wasted "air space", but these are also flexible and can fit in easily.

Thanks!

GC

50 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

One of us needs a strict Gluten-Free diet, and the other has an unusual food allergy (something that is frequently served/included without notice.  Kind bars work for both of us.

But bars like those are bulky in quantity, and also especially heavy, so we can't bring too, too many with us on the plane.

(We can always get by with assorted nuts, but those can get boring after a while.  At least those tend to be easily available.)

As for meds, we always have then in labelled containers, and have copies of the scripts, and also a letter from physician.

Recently, we've gotten tiny ziploc bags, and asked the pharmacist for new labels for all meds, so we can stick proper pharmacy labels for each med.  Not only is there minimal wasted "air space", but these are also flexible and can fit in easily.

Thanks!

GC

I haven’t seen them in store only online. But then I don’t watch out for every type of snack bar.

54 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks!

GC

Australia and New Zealand are first world countries and as far as food goes are equal with any country. Your brand of snack bar may not be available down under but if you go to your nearest supermarket you will find a large array of Gluten Free foods including snack bars that will meet your dietry requirements. Your condition is I suspect also suffered by many of us as well. I would sugets you bring just a few snack bars to cover the time until you can get to the supermarket. When you bring them across the border bring only unopened bars so that the officials should they so wish can inspect them . If you have opened a snack bar on the plane drop the unused portion in the amnesty bin. It just save a possibility of hassle by an overzealous border official and/or the beagle who will smell it. If the beagle stops you, you will have your bags checked. Always tick we have food on your arrival card.

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks!

GC

Also have not seen this brand, but all the major supermarkets carry their own home brand of “free from” (gluten free, often egg/dairy/nut free, some soy or maize free, etc.) plus a wide array of other options. Health food shops will have more again, but at a premium price. 

Probably it’s much the same in the US - but if you’re eating out, check that they take their gluten free prep seriously... some are fantastic, but some will, for example, sell gluten free cakes - but said cakes are sitting uncovered on a shelf alongside regular products... really they’re just catering toward the GF for trendy’s sake crowd, rather than anyone with coeliac disease or a serious non-CD intolerance. 

I find that I have been stressing over going through customs in Australia.  More so than I have EVER been before in traveling to loads of countries - first second and third world countries.   And of course I have better sense than to travel with guns or porn or illegal drugs.  I think part of the problem is that I read so much about it on these boards and I've gotten myself wound up.  I've also learned things like tea or maple syrup could be a bio-hazard.  

I also think, part of the "problem" is the wording on the customs entry card.

image.png.e2568b26932cbc1b2ac7585801637ea1.png

I wish that they had separate question for medicines.  It's grating to feel like you are bringing in something that is lumped together with illegal porn, weapons and illicit drugs!  I have sort of a knee jerk reaction to that!  and I feel like my privacy is being somewhat invaded - no one but my doctors need to know what meds I take.  However, for the greater good, better my privacy than bring down a country's eco-system.  

I really appreciate all the locals who are insisting that we declare, even if we are feeling rebellious.  And I will, I have no want desire to risk my vacation in away.  

Yep declare, there is nothing to get stressed over. If you have declared it and it’s not permitted the most likely outcome is that you will be asked to toss it out, it is when you haven’t been upfront and honest that you get in trouble.

Hiking boots!

According to the Australian government site, you must declare them, and a biosecurity person will examine them.

Outdoor, camping and sports equipment and footwear
• hiking boots
• fishing equipment
• anything that could be contaminated with soil, seeds or water

Anyone with experience?

If I washed the soles before we leave home...would that do? Suggestions? 

I normally wear my boots so I don't have to squeeze them into my luggage, but that's not a huge issue. Plus we areee leaving Canada in winter and they work for a bit of slippery ice or snow.

Just I don't want to have to shop for some if I don't need to.

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/sites/default/files/sitecollectiondocuments/arriving-english-factsheet.pdf

Frances