Which lines have DIY laundry areas?

kaymoz

I am now wondering which cruiselines categorically ALWAYS have a self-service laundry room on the ship for passengers (and which ones don't). 

We just booked our first cruise with Norwegian, and was told today that NONE of their ships have a DIY laundry.  Huh?  

While travelling, it's inevitable that things need to be laundered.  It's an annoyance to wash things out in a bathroom sink and have them hanging around the cabin (and I am not willing to take my chances sending things off to a service), so I really appreciate the convenience of a real laundry room on a ship. 

It's time to tune in to which cruiselines appreciate this civilized feature to the point of always including a self-service laundry room for passengers!

Carnival, all ships.  Cunard, all ships (no charge and soap provided).  The older ships of HAL, although I think they may be removing them as they go through drydock.  Princess, all ships.  Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and Azamara, none.  MSC none.  Can't answer for the luxury or more upscale lines.  EM

Cunard is free, but that means the machines are always in use and doing laundry requires some waiting. We ended up spending $6 to get a pair of trousers laundered since that was the only thing that needed to be washed. I prefer lines that have a nominal charge (Princess & Carnival, for example) since there always seem to be machines available.

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking Ocean ships have 1 laundry room on each passenger cabin deck. All located port side, about midships. Laundry machines are complimentary, as is the soap.

We remember a guest on Seabourn calling room service to have glasses of champagne delivered to a laundry room to make the wait more pleasant for the ladies there.  Nice touch.

• Like 1

What a great story about the champagne!!  

I wonder if there might be a way to convince HAL to retain the laundrette feature......since it can make a cruise so much more civilized for so many, even without champagne??!!! 

Does CC have a voice with cruiselines in general? 

Does HAL monitor CC in some way?

Not sure about HAL but have been cruising since 1992 and never used a laundromat on board. I cruise primarily RC and Celebrity. Find it easier to hand wash a few items and also use on board laundry and dry cleaning services including wash and fold specials.

Not sure what being civilized has to do with it 😀😀😀😀. The last thing I want to do on a cruise is laundry.  Also with thousands of passengers not sure how you would handle people leaving their washing in the machine etc. 

Cruiselines want to generate revenue and a laundromat isn’t making money for them. 

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Laundries are lifesavers for cruises that run more than two weeks.

For the vast majority of cruisers, they are just on for a quick 7 day loop.  Maybe 10 at the most.  Different circumstances.

So true.  Also, if like me, one is picky about how their clothes are laundered and dried. I wear 100% cotton clothes and am not ever going to send them to a ship's laundry to possibly be shrunk in their hot dryers. 

Edited by Bookish Angel

18 hours ago, iancal said:

.   Not sure about NCL but I do not think there were any on either ship that we been on.

The last NCL ship that had self service laundry's that I recall was the Dawn, but they have been since removed.  None of their ship's have them today.   They usually offer a mid cruise special, where for a flat rate (varies), they will take all you can stuff into a laundry bag...