8:55 Flight from FLL after Cruise

1 minute ago, cruisefun77 said:

Is a flight out of FLL doable at 8:55 AM at the end of the cruise?  We always walk off with our luggage and will catch cab/uber......

It's doable, but if there are any delays with docking or customs you could miss your flight.  Also, security at FLL can be a nightmare.  I would try to book a flight no earlier than 10:00.

It would rely on everything and everyone running on time - docking, customs,  taxis, TSA, etc.....

We had a 9am flight out of Long Beach several years ago - made it with time to spare, but it was stressful leading up to departure and not sure I would do it again.  

FLL is about a 10 minute ride from port - quick and easy.

Your call - make sure you have good travel insurance though

If you have a refundable / exchangeable airfare give it a try.

The question I would ask myself is, "What are the consequences of me missing this flight?"  If I can stand the consequences I would give it a try.  But I would also be fully prepared with a backup plan.

2 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

No I don't, that's why I was asking.  Thanks for the non advice.  

Asking again...which ship?  Different ships return at different times.  Or better yet, what time is your ship due back?  It's really hard to answer without knowing this.

Edited by time4u2go

55 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Asking again...which ship?  Different ships return at different times.  Or better yet, what time is your ship due back?  It's really hard to answer without knowing this.

what time the ship is due back isn’t the issue. The big questions are what time Customs will be available and how many agents they will have.

42 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

what time the ship is due back isn’t the issue. The big questions are what time Customs will be available and how many agents they will have.

Of course the time the ship is due back is the issue. It's probably the most important issue. Some are due back at 6, some are due back later. Do you honestly think that arriving back at 6 versus arriving back at 7 doesn't factor into people's opinions of whether or not you will be able to make your flight (which is what you asked) ? How do you think anyone can  possibly answer your question of making a flight at a certain time without knowing when you will be able to begin your attempt? 

Edited by time4u2go

6 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

Is a flight out of FLL doable at 8:55 AM at the end of the cruise?  We always walk off with our luggage and will catch cab/uber......

Have you booked the cruise yet?  Earlier today you stated that you had not.

If you have TSA pre-check, the odds increase in your favor.  If you don't, I would not chance it.

We had a 9am flight on December 16, departing from Harmony. Had plenty of time to spare and we were traveling with kids. I wasn’t so stressed that I wouldn’t do it again. Of course things can go wrong, but it was worth not having to sit around all day trying to catch a later flight. 

7 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

Can you make it - possibly.  For an 8:55 flight you need to be at the airport NOT 7:30. With the ride from ME to FILL taking 10-15 minutes that translates into off the shop with bags, and clear of customs & immigration by 7:00.

Do you want to worry about making your flight while cruising?  I would book a flight closer to 11 or later but it is your call.

If you fly on an airline that allows you to standby on an earlier flight for free, book the later flight and then standby on the earlier one. We did that last time we sailed out of Miami and flew out of FLL. We had an 11:30am flight but we arrived at the airport at 7:30am and got on an 8:30am flight home. There were no lines at security that early and there were plenty of seats on the earlier flight. Worked out great but I would’ve never booked the earlier flight to start with. 

Edited by Tapi

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Spunky946 said:

No way would I try it.  I don’t get the whole let’s run off the ship and try to get to the airport as fast as possible and maybe still miss the flight.  I don’t like to worry about it

It's either get off quickly so you can get back home, or take a late flight that arrives home at midnight.  Work the next day.....