Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

This is a very old topic and I risk opening up a can of worms but consider that the MDR areas "taken away" to form Luminae and Blu previously had the Aqua and Suite passengers dining in the MDR too.  So really a trade off of space vs a takeaway on the older ships.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This is a very old topic and I risk opening up a can of worms but consider that the MDR areas "taken away" to form Luminae and Blu previously had the Aqua and Suite passengers dining in the MDR too.  So really a trade off of space vs a takeaway on the older ships.  

Good point

The pax were there-- already amongst the sf on the ship. 

Its just set up differently. Same would be for Michaels

On 2/3/2019 at 8:26 AM, deliver42 said:

If there's any doubt about the dark hulls showing more flaws than a white hull, just look at HAL's hulls. They all look like they need repainting.

It’s amazing the affect of sun and salt on a dark hull.

Before my spring and fall transits to and from the Caribbean to New England I would lay 2 or 3 coats of varnish on exterior wood for protection.  All varnished wood on the forward part of the boat would generally get 4 coats.

Just the salt spray splashing on the wood on a 10 day passage would be enough to “sand” down layers of varnish and make the finish completely dull.

Our fall arrival would coincide the the Charter Brokers show so we had to make the boat pretty AND hit the varnish the moment we arrived.

Salt in Ocean Water is like fine-fine sandpaper.

Mosy yachts will put a coat of clear Awlgrip on to make them shine.  Salt water, again, would eventually dull the finish.  You just don’t see this gradual change as much on white hulls.

Edited by Donut23
Typo - what else !

• 1 year later...

just a curious question.

Anybody know where the ships are being "revolutionized"?

It is early March 2020 now and the corona vrus is threatening a lot of businesses including the Cruise business. I was thinking with a slowdown on bookings and perhaps cancellations at the 91 day mark, Celebrity might take the opportunity to take ships not redone out of service that have soft booked and due for refurb in the next year and do it now so when business picks up the ships do not have to come out of service.

Also thinking if ships are refurbed in Japan or Italy , those places right now might not be the best to get a ship refurbished on schedule.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, hcat said:

I believe the M Class and maybe S will have new cabins  added back towards the spa area..  These will be AQ class..limited to 2  people.

We booked Summit for 2020  in a 2 A and were assured our cabin would have a real balcony..That was encouraging news!

Of course your cabin will have a real balcony.  When they re-did the M class ships, they did not change the balcony configurations.  That virtual balcony nonsense is peculiar to E class ships only.

• Like 1