Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Friends are booked on Equinox for Jan 2020 in AQ class (reg location) .

Post reno, what should they expect re BLU, Thermal suite, Specialty dining, and upstairs at Sky...EDEN  type show or no?

EDEN... I don’t think so. EDEN is unique to the Edge class.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Friends are booked on Equinox for Jan 2020 in AQ class (reg location) .

Post reno, what should they expect re BLU, Thermal suite, Specialty dining, and upstairs at Sky...EDEN  type show or no?

More bodies throughout the ship, so luckily, there may not be enough room for the Edenites too 😆.

• Haha 1

Just now, upwarduk said:

Art auctions were taken away from Azamara ships. 

Definately my option of choice if only the prices were reduced.

Jackie,

We are now considering all options, even though we still have some X placeholders, taking the plunge last year meant it opened our horizons. And after reading the recent Edge reviews, it’s confirmed that we need to look at as many offerings across the board. When you read the likes of Cruisestitch, Happycruiser, Arno and other long standing X cruisers beginning to search out alternatives, it means that not everybody can be wrong. That’s not saying don’t cruise X again, it’s saying whereas previously we wouldn’t consider looking at other lines, then now it’s time to place everything on the table before deciding on which ship and company to sail with.

Hiltner has summed it up very well in some of his posts and I think X will realise this when they have to start reducing the prices on Edge (if they are already offering free cruises this early in her deployment, then sales can’t be as great as they hoped). Put that together with the mess of the recategorising of normal balcony cabins to obstructed views too, and the writing is on the wall.

I’ve just read on another post about the problems with some S1 suites too - now they definitely want to rectify that a.s.a.p. because that’s where they are hoping to make their biggest bucks! Upset the suite guests this early in the game and they’ll be straight over to those other more refined alternatives.

15 minutes ago, villauk said:

Jackie,

We are now considering all options, even though we still have some X placeholders, taking the plunge last year meant it opened our horizons. And after reading the recent Edge reviews, it’s confirmed that we need to look at as many offerings across the board. When you read the likes of Cruisestitch, Happycruiser, Arno and other long standing X cruisers beginning to search out alternatives, it means that not everybody can be wrong. That’s not saying don’t cruise X again, it’s saying whereas previously we wouldn’t consider looking at other lines, then now it’s time to place everything on the table before deciding on which ship and company to sail with.

Hiltner has summed it up very well in some of his posts and I think X will realise this when they have to start reducing the prices on Edge (if they are already offering free cruises this early in her deployment, then sales can’t be as great as they hoped). Put that together with the mess of the recategorising of normal balcony cabins to obstructed views too, and the writing is on the wall.

I’ve just read on another post about the problems with some S1 suites too - now they definitely want to rectify that a.s.a.p. because that’s where they are hoping to make their biggest bucks! Upset the suite guests this early in the game and they’ll be straight over to those other more refined alternatives.

Ah, but the problem with the S1 suites is an easy fix! We were in an S1aft and were also disappointed in the lack of “normal” furniture on the verandah that made it quite difficult to enjoy breakfast (or any other meal). All X needs to do is swap out the impractical Kelly Hoppen stuff for a standard table and 2 chairs. We are keeping our upcoming TA on the Edge, also in an aft S1 suite. We haven’t started looking at other cruise lines, instead we are waiting and watching to see how X responds to the remarks and observations of the guests who have sailed on the Edge. We will take a break, returning to other ships in the fleet, hopefully things will be sorted out and we will be happy to come back to the Edge or Apex.

Though we aren’t interested in the IV cabins, I do understand that they are a “love it” or “ hate it” category and X may loose a portion of their loyal guests because about 80 percent of the cabins have this feature. The only ones that don’t have IV windows are the Sunset verandahs, the suites and the ocean view staterooms. That is a problem that is not easily rectified.

Perhaps it is not too late for X to put regular balcony cabins on some decks on the Apex since construction just started.  Then,  people would have a better choice.

I was not thrilled with the IV balcony, and if I sailed on the Edge again, I would want either the SV or a SS with a "good old balcony" with "good old balcony furniture ". And, since I have a number of other cruises booked, it will be a while before I revisit the Edge class.

Perhaps  they should lock Kelly Hoppen and all her pillows in a cabin for a week and she how she does with  her design and furniture.

Edited by ecslady
  • Haha 2

That can't possibly be an accurate representation of the new iLounge - 4 computers?  Are they serious?  I can see people with unlimited packages plunking themselves down on sea days and not moving, leaving those of us who just need a quick look at e-mails, etc., SOL.  Just not right.

17 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Perhaps it is not too late for X to put regular balcony cabins on some decks on the Apex since construction just started.  Then,  people would have a better choice.

I was not thrilled with the IV balcony, and if I sailed on the Edge again, I would want either the SV or a SS with a "good old balcony" with "good old balcony furniture ". And, since I have a number of other cruises booked, it will be a while before I revisit the Edge class.

Perhaps  they should lock Kelly Hoppen and all her pillows in a cabin for a week and she how she does with  her design and furniture.

Would be pretty difficult and pricey to modify the Apex to replace IV balconies with regular balconies.  Would require smaller inside space, movement of outside walls in, change in outside materials to deal with weather exposure, and installation of drains in the balcony areas.  At this point I would say no way are they going to change cabin type availability.  Too expensive.

7 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

That can't possibly be an accurate representation of the new iLounge - 4 computers?  Are they serious?  I can see people with unlimited packages plunking themselves down on sea days and not moving, leaving those of us who just need a quick look at e-mails, etc., SOL.  Just not right.

Just as e-books has doomed Libraries, the popularity of advanced smart phones and tablets are resulting in fewer and fewer public computers on new and renovated ships.  The cruise lines expect that people with just use their own devices.

Edited by RDC1
  • Like 2

Just off Summit and I seem to remember there being an Apple Store in with the other shops on deck 5. I went to the iLounge to get help with my GoBest internet package (never received a passcode and they had to force it through for me). The room was empty. Don't remember seeing any classes advertised in daily newsletters either. This was a port intensive itinerary so that could be the reason, or I overlooked. My guess is that offering computer classes is not "the thing" it was 10 years ago and better $ can be made with more cabins. 

We first sailed X on the Millennium in 2014, followed by the Summit in 2016, directly after the solstice upgrades.  I didn't see this as anything but a positive, enjoying the rooftop terrace, and Taste of Film.

Are there any positives to this "Revolution", aside from cutting amenities, and adding cabins?

5 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We first sailed X on the Millennium in 2014, followed by the Summit in 2016, directly after the solstice upgrades.  I didn't see this as anything but a positive, enjoying the rooftop terrace, and Taste of Film.

Are there any positives to this "Revolution", aside from cutting amenities, and adding cabins?

Aren’t all the cabins going to get a sleek, modern look...as well as all the new technology? We’ve been on both the Millie and the Connie. We love them both, but they’re older ships that I think will benefit from the redesign.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Aren’t all the cabins going to get a sleek, modern look...as well as all the new technology? We’ve been on both the Millie and the Connie. We love them both, but they’re older ships that I think will benefit from the redesign.

You're asking the wrong person, I've only seen the deck plans on this threads.  

Modernizing the cabins I can agree with, still subjective.  By new Technology, do you mean the new thermostats, or are they adding IV and LED screens to the theater?

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Our Celebrity Suite on Connie in 2016 was very tired – the cabinet doors were coming off the hinges, all the dark wood was nicked and scratched.  Yanking out the cabins and sliding in brand new ones will make the ships like new again.  [That's what Azamara did on Deck 8 when they bought their 'new' R-ship from Princess.  The cabins were originally built onshore and slid into position, so it was easy to yank them out and slide in 2 suites for every 3 cabins removed.  I think Celebrity is keeping the same cabin layout as they do this, so it's even easier.]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our Celebrity Suite on Connie in 2016 was very tired – the cabinet doors were coming off the hinges, all the dark wood was nicked and scratched.  Yanking out the cabins and sliding in brand new ones will make the ships like new again.  [That's what Azamara did on Deck 8 when they bought their 'new' R-ship from Princess.  The cabins were originally built onshore and slid into position, so it was easy to yank them out and slide in 2 suites for every 3 cabins removed.  I think Celebrity is keeping the same cabin layout as they do this, so it's even easier.]

Agree, they could definitely do with a refresh. Surprised if X don’t slide out 2 and insert 3 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That will not happen, they will not replace alle cabins on a big ship. Best case is some new furniture, carpets and colors.As always Suites will benefit from more updates as standard cabins. 

11 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

That will not happen, they will not replace alle cabins on a big ship. Best case is some new furniture, carpets and colors.As always Suites will benefit from more updates as standard cabins. 

According to Celebrity, this will happen https://webapps.celebritycruises.com/revolution/accommodations/

15 hours ago, warmwinds said:

AGain, consistent with the Quantum class which Edge took many features from.

Quantum class only has 4 computers, actually 3.

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Agree, they could definitely do with a refresh. Surprised if X don’t slide out 2 and insert 3 🤣.

LOL, probably!

It's an interesting look, I kind of like it, except the limited storage space.  Might take some creativity on a 14+ day cruise?

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.42 AM.png

8 hours ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

According to Celebrity, this will happen https://webapps.celebritycruises.com/revolution/accommodations/

Something I've spotted looking at that link is this bit of text relating to non suite cabins

image.png.f0a3d9a25c067789b225dfcdccc4731f.png

New Aqua Class, Ocean View and Inside staterooms.  

What about Veranda and Concierge?

35 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Something I've spotted looking at that link is this bit of text relating to non suite cabins

image.png.f0a3d9a25c067789b225dfcdccc4731f.png

New Aqua Class, Ocean View and Inside staterooms.  

What about Veranda and Concierge?

They are adding additional Aqua, outside and inside cabins which is what they are referring to on the M class ships.

Veranda and Concierge will get the make-over too.

Edited by ecslady

5 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

LOL, probably!

It's an interesting look, I kind of like it, except the limited storage space.  Might take some creativity on a 14+ day cruise?

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.42 AM.png

I actually hope that rendering is not going to be the final.  They should at least put doors on the shelving, and solid doors on the wardrobe.  I have visions of things falling off in rough seas and those doors which do not meet flying open.

Lots of creativity on a longer cruise.

Edited by ecslady

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

I actually hope that rendering is not going to be the final.  They should at least put doors on the shelving, and solid doors on the wardrobe.  I have visions of things falling off in rough seas and those doors which do not meet flying open.

Lots of creativity on a longer cruise.

I've seen these pictures before. My first thought was why are they depicting bedding items and bath towels on the shelves? Why not clothing? Someone decided it probably looked more neat and tidy with towels, etc., rather than guests' shorts, tops and other personal items on display.

I agree that doors are needed on the shelving.

Edited by C-Dragons