Eden is getting pretty exciting!

B-Rizzle

I'm laughing only to keep from crying.  Like Ma Bell, I am dismayed by what is happening.  For the past several years, I have had the pleasure of cruising five to eight times a year.  Coming from a cold climate, the Celebrity fleet was my "home away from home" while friends back in the country's icebox were freezing.  The fourteen day cruises were perfect for back to back (and sometimes for B2B2B).  

Edge was a huge disappointment to me, and if this is what I would have to look forward to on the other ships after their "revolutions", sadly I will be looking to other cruise lines.  

• Like 3

50th anniv of Woodstock this year..

That was the real deal...this is Not the real anything!

EDEN could be put to great use as a replacement for the  upstairs lounge they took away..

We do not want indoor drone races , the holodeck ,  haiku,  poetry  class, entertainment or interaction with Edenists...

Hope X changes their  current mindset!

I was thinking about this when I saw the review someone did of I think it was Silhouette at Christmas with all the singing and beautiful holiday decorations and the homey feel it imparted compared to this.  Even though I was a child of the 60's, I only enjoyed the mellow music and never the psychedelic stuff. Think about groups like the Association, 

The Byrds, and Simon and Garfunkle.  Now I love club music, hands up in the air, Black Eyed Peas, Gaga, Katy Perry so I don't consider myself an oldie goldies type. But this is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

Just now, kkmiausa said:

I was thinking about this when I saw the review someone did of I think it was Silhouette at Christmas with all the singing and beautiful holiday decorations and the homey feel it imparted compared to this.  Even though I was a child of the 60's, I only enjoyed the mellow music and never the psychedelic stuff. Think about groups like the Association, 

The Byrds, and Simon and Garfunkle.  Now I love club music, hands up in the air, Black Eyed Peas, Gaga, Katy Perry so I don't consider myself an oldie goldies type. But this is just ridiculous.

Agree!

48 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I'm laughing only to keep from crying.  Like Ma Bell, I am dismayed by what is happening.  For the past several years, I have had the pleasure of cruising five to eight times a year.  Coming from a cold climate, the Celebrity fleet was my "home away from home" while friends back in the country's icebox were freezing.  The fourteen day cruises were perfect for back to back (and sometimes for B2B2B).  

Edge was a huge disappointment to me, and if this is what I would have to look forward to on the other ships after their "revolutions", sadly I will be looking to other cruise lines.  

The Edge was a huge advertising draw. We had not gone on Celebrity in over 10 years. We chose this because it was close to home and we were bringing our 31 year old son along. I will never again fall for hype before I hear the real deal.   The initial reviews were from cruise insiders who were invited on the maiden voyages to market the ship. It only makes sense that most of them will give glowing reviews. Why? Because they want to be invited on other cruises to promote them as well and they don't want to give negative reviews with concern they may not be invited again!  I find nothing online from sites where they promote cruising, avidC on Youtube, travel sites, etc. that is the least bit negative about Edge.  We only rely on our friends here to fill us in on the real deal.  It seems the people here who are such cheerleaders, most of them at least, either have not cruised on Edge, are already booked and cannot switch, or are just Celebrity cheerleaders in general.  Because someone does not like this new ship, does not make them "against" Celebrity and the rest of the fleet.  Like us, some have changed sailings to the other classes where they feel more comfortable.  I hope this remains honest and detailed, both pro and con.

• Thanks 1

What people seem to overlook with EDEN is the space. Other than the weird show at night, the rest of the day this is a three deck high glass wall with a two level lounge and a ramp along the outside which includes many bright and comfortable seating areas.  I seem to think those complaining about no sea views and no quiet place to sit and read haven't looked at EDEN in it's totality.  

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, hcat said:

Eden itself looks awesome but the entertainment,  loud music and incense spray  are what most are objecting to..  B Rizzle does not cruise so won,'t be there in person

And if they blare that awful  wierdo music over the outside EDEN  speaker and I hear it on my 7th floor Sunset Veranda or in my cabin   I will not be a very happy camper!    Hoping it will be all gone by then but will be speaking with X about my booking in the mean time.  ( for our earlier Edge Cruise  we are not anywhere near EDEN..thankfully!)

Seriously? This year has been particularly bad for travel but also amazingly magical with new adventures to look forward to, so what are ya gonna do?

Seriously MOST OF THE TIME if you gave me the choice of a upgraded room over Eden or normal room somewhere else it would be a no brainer!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hvsteve1 said:

What people seem to overlook with EDEN is the space. Other than the weird show at night, the rest of the day this is a three deck high glass wall with a two level lounge and a ramp along the outside which includes many bright and comfortable seating areas.  I seem to think those complaining about no sea views and no quiet place to sit and read haven't looked at EDEN in it's totality.  

Yup. Pretty much! It really doesn't matter what kind of vacation you plan on. Eden has advantages during the day too.

During the day, and I was on the ship, here is what I found -- 

People looking for a place to sit and eat -- some tried to put their plates on the low tables, and many ended up with their plates on their laps because there are not enough tables and chairs for those who want to have lunch there --

Celebrity Life Activities -- knitting, haiku, drones

"Architecture" tour talking about Fibonacci

Entertainment

And Edenists wandering aimlessly through it all

4 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Seriously? This year has been particularly bad for travel but also amazingly magical with new adventures to look forward to, so what are ya gonna do?

Seriously MOST OF THE TIME if you gave me the choice of a upgraded room over Eden or normal room somewhere else it would be a no brainer!

Sounds like that cabin might be opening up, if there aren't others nearby already available. Are you going to put some skin in the game and help support the Edge / Eden, or just tell others to do it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Sounds like that cabin might be opening up, if there aren't others nearby already available. Are you going to put some skin in the game and help support the Edge / Eden, or just tell others to do it?

My thought exactly but  the OP  B Rizzle  ( Jonathan's mom),  by self admission does not cruise..on any line, apparently. She is here to push Eden show.

We paid a premium to have an aft  balcony...In a few weeks we'll be cruising in AQ class, hopefuly away ftom EDEN....but we will be finding that outdoor speaker and asking Sunset Veranda guests if it  is bothering them at all..

Would be a shame to cancel such a nice cruise and  cabin..We have dining and excursions booked..Guess we might have to move cabins ahead of time  if we learn  the EDEN noise is  a factor..By then we'll know how we like the verandas with window...or maybe just take an oceanview

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity has purposefully coined the term "Revolution" to describe it's future build / refurbishment / marketing strategy.  I suspect many of its regular cruises would have preferred, to coin a much used phrase, "evolution not revolution".

I hope Celebrity has the evidence to back up its convictions.

Revolution can mean an overthrow of social order - maybe clearing out the old loyal guests for new ones - who they hope will turn out loyal.  It can mean a dramatic wide-reaching change in conditions, attitudes and operations.

Then again it can also mean going around in a circle with no direction other than back to the start.

I recall when Eden was announced a few years ago it was initially promoted as a new boutique sized ship - pitched somewhere between M and S class.  Guess that quickly got binned.

Very keen to see some firm details on the Revolution programme from Celebrity on the Eclipse rather than the wishy washy crap Celebrity has put out to date. We want to book an Australian / NZ cruise in 2020 and Eclipse and Solstice are doing similar itineraries. Eclipse (which we have sailed several times before) will be immediately after a Revolution refit, and Solstice in the current S class set up (which we love). 

5 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Celebrity has purposefully coined the term "Revolution" to describe it's future build / refurbishment / marketing strategy.  I suspect many of its regular cruises would have preferred, to coin a much used phrase, "evolution not revolution".

I hope Celebrity has the evidence to back up its convictions.

Revolution can mean an overthrow of social order - maybe clearing out the old loyal guests for new ones - who they hope will turn out loyal.  It can mean a dramatic wide-reaching change in conditions, attitudes and operations.

Then again it can also mean going around in a circle with no direction other than back to the start.

I recall when Eden was announced a few years ago it was initially promoted as a new boutique sized ship - pitched somewhere between M and S class.  Guess that quickly got binned.

Very keen to see some firm details on the Revolution programme from Celebrity on the Eclipse rather than the wishy washy crap Celebrity has put out to date. We want to book an Australian / NZ cruise in 2020 and Eclipse and Solstice are doing similar itineraries. Eclipse (which we have sailed several times before) will be immediately after a Revolution refit, and Solstice in the current S class set up (which we love). 

I'm concerned about Eclipse too, as we have cruises booked in April 2019 and March 2020, not sure if the latter will be touched by then.  We're also eyeballing the Solstice repo back to Hawaii in 2021, which would barely cross us over to Elite.  

Should all go south with the "Revolution", I guess we'll get to enjoy the Reflection for a couple years there after!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I've always found Celebrity's entertainment to be poor but how in the world did they think that LSD induced freak show was the answer?😵😵  The passengers in that video look very disinterested.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:13 AM, B-Rizzle said:

Wow ! That is weird.

We will NOT be sailing on Edge. We are also disappointed in Celebrity's new direction and have started looking for another cruise line. The "Petite Chef, Eden, packing in more cabins" … for us, this isn't Luxury Cruising.

Don

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I'm concerned about Eclipse too, as we have cruises booked in April 2019 and March 2020, not sure if the latter will be touched by then.  We're also eyeballing the Solstice repo back to Hawaii in 2021, which would barely cross us over to Elite.  

Should all go south with the "Revolution", I guess we'll get to enjoy the Reflection for a couple years there after!

Eclipse I think is not due to be Revolutionised until November 2020.  I think the first cruise is a repo from Singapore to Sydney

52 minutes ago, dcyonce said:

Wow ! That is weird.

We will NOT be sailing on Edge. We are also disappointed in Celebrity's new direction and have started looking for another cruise line. The "Petite Chef, Eden, packing in more cabins" … for us, this isn't Luxury Cruising.

Don

4:02 there's a chap wandering about - not sure if he's Edenist or some poor soul looking for his carer.

Not our thing - it looks like the boring bits / filler from a Cirque du Soleil show. Flailing your arms about and twirling  a cushion on your fingers ..no thanks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

4:02 there's a chap wandering about - not sure if he's Edenist or some poor soul looking for his carer.

Not our thing - it looks like the boring bits / filler from a Cirque du Soleil show. Flailing your arms about and twirling  a cushion on your fingers ..no thanks

I noticed that at 4:02 too, looks like he's auditioning for a zombie flick.  Combine that with flailing arms and cushion twirling, there's impressive talent here. I just turned 40, like surreal art, and there's nothing about this that I find the least bit appealing.

To claim that this is meant for millennials, shows a lack of understanding of what millennials are even after.  It's easy to do apparently, Uniworld beat X to the punch:

https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/U-by-Uniworld-learns-the-challenges-of-marketing-to-millennials

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dcyonce said:

Wow ! That is weird.

Don

I felt like this was a good way to show you guys what it's like! And Celebrity is not the first to do it - either way it always look better in person.