Insurance cover for blood cancer

Kitchengardener

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with a blood cancer called CLL - a form of leukaemia, this is very slow growing and does not need treatment, hopefully this will remain the same for many years. It was found through a routine blood test for another condition and I didn't feel unwell before the tests, don't feel unwell now and my consultant has told me that I should continue as normal. I obviously need some insurance cover for our varied travels (cruises and land based holidays). My consultant will provide a letter to support an insurance application but I though to ask which, if any companies people can recommend for cancer patients.

5 hours ago, Kitchengardener said:

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with a blood cancer called CLL - a form of leukaemia, this is very slow growing and does not need treatment, hopefully this will remain the same for many years. It was found through a routine blood test for another condition and I didn't feel unwell before the tests, don't feel unwell now and my consultant has told me that I should continue as normal. I obviously need some insurance cover for our varied travels (cruises and land based holidays). My consultant will provide a letter to support an insurance application but I though to ask which, if any companies people can recommend for cancer patients.

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

I hope you continue to feel well for a very long time.

Unfortunately, most of the posters here are familiar with travel insurance for USA residents, although there are certainly some from other countries (mostly, it seems, Canada and also the UK).

Perhaps someone knows if there are "insurance brokers" in the UK (other countries as well, for residents there?) who can discuss the choices you'd have.

So make sure that you don't go down rabbit holes of people posting about insurance that does not specifically include UK residents.

Apparently one feature we in the USA often have (that seems not to be widely available elsewhere) is that to have coverage that includes all pre-existing conditions... we just need to start the coverage at the time of the *first* payment/deposit.  Most of those policies allow us to increase the coverage as other payments are made, which helps keep early costs down.  And there is at least one policy where pre-existing conditions are included if the policy is started with 24 hours of the *final* (e.g., full) payment.

That is, there is NO "medical underwriting/vetting" needed prior to taking out these insurance policies.

And there are other policies that include pre-existing conditions IF there has been no treatment or change of medications/dosage for <x> days of a "look-back" period.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen (or didn't notice?) similar policies for those in the UK.  I keep reading about the need to submit medical records/etc., in advance of being approved to get a policy, and I don't know what happens if someone has a condition that is "excluded".  Are they not covered at all?  Not for that condition?  Can they pay a higher rate for coverage?

It would be nice if someone could explain how policies in Canada, the UK, and perhaps elsewhere generally work, or could post some guidelines (or names of insurance brokers?) about coverage in those other countries...

You might check with the insurance that the cruise-lines offer, given that they are selling the cruise in your country.  (In the USA, that's often not as comprehensive - and can be more expensive - than third party coverage, but at least it is available easily).

My main point is:  Make sure that whatever suggestions you might want to follow *are* for UK residents.

(Many people post here with suggestions that don't address the OP's country of residence.  And sometimes there is no indication of the country of residence, but you've given yours.)

Good luck!

ETA:  Aha!  Take a look at posts #16 & 17 in this thread:

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

OP - terribly sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Sounds like you are doing well. That's great!

You might ask your question on the link below. If Steve doesn't know the answer, I'll bet he knows where to look and who to ask.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2441-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom/

As GC said, there are lots of rabbit holes you might get lost in and lots of well meaning but inaccurate information that may be offered by we pack of amatures. 

I have a very good friend with the same cancer. His prognosis is excellent, they said he can live forever and not have a recurrence. He did go through Chemo 2 years ago and he gets tested every 3 months and for the last 2 years (since) chemo he is perfect. God bless you and best of luck.