Cruise Critic Community
sazzifrazz

I want to hold a sloth and a monkey, and go to west bay beach. Best tour?

I see some people go through Daniel Johnson, others through Justin's Island Tours.  There will be 5 adults and one teenager .  We don't want to see the shops or the lookout....just the sloths, monkeys and a gorgeous beach.  We are in port 9:30-6:00.  I'd like to spend a few hours at the beach.  

15 hours ago, sazzifrazz said:

I see some people go through Daniel Johnson, others through Justin's Island Tours.  There will be 5 adults and one teenager .  We don't want to see the shops or the lookout....just the sloths, monkeys and a gorgeous beach.  We are in port 9:30-6:00.  I'd like to spend a few hours at the beach.  

We booked a private tour with Rony’s. It was $40 pp for the private driver, then $15 pp for the sloth/monkeys. He takes you to a wildlife park to see the sloths and monkeys. I know there is a whole list of add ons to the private tour on his website. I’m pretty sure west end beach was one of them. He anwsers questions on fb messenger, not always the fastest, but he will.

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2018 at 3:22 PM, sazzifrazz said:

Take a look at Victor Bodden’s fun n sun tour. It is exactly what you are looking for, sloths and monkeys and then 2 hours at West Bay beach. $30 pp includes entrance fees and beach chairs. 

https://www.boddentours.com/highlights.htm

Edited by WNcruiser
Link

Daniel Johnson's! We paid $55 per person to hold monkeys and sloths, snorkel, and then were taken to a beach in West Bay. Worth every penny! 

100% agree with Steelman's - Ronystours.com  - fabulous every time!  We've toured with Rony for years and highly recommend him.

We just did Bodden Tours last week in Roatan.  We paid $30 per person for the fun n sun tour.  Saw the monkeys and sloths, then spent the rest of the day at West Bay beach.  Worth every penny.  We got to the beach at 10 am.  Driver asked us how long we wanted to stay there.  Our group decided to stay til 2 pm.

20190313_090415.jpg

20190313_091543.jpg

20190313_091921.jpg

20190313_133638.jpg

20190313_133651.jpg

20190313_133655.jpg

This was just the thread I was looking for! I'm looking to hold a sloth and go to the beach, too! So many great replies. Will definitely be checking out Bodden Tours. Thanks! :classic_biggrin:

19 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

We just did Bodden Tours last week in Roatan.  We paid $30 per person for the fun n sun tour.  Saw the monkeys and sloths, then spent the rest of the day at West Bay beach.  Worth every penny.  We got to the beach at 10 am.  Driver asked us how long we wanted to stay there.  Our group decided to stay til 2 pm.

20190313_090415.jpg

20190313_091543.jpg

20190313_091921.jpg

20190313_133638.jpg

20190313_133651.jpg

20190313_133655.jpg

We are considering Bodden tours.  Did you go to the sloths and monkeys first or the beach?  Which beach is this in West Bay?  Thanks!!

39 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

We are considering Bodden tours.  Did you go to the sloths and monkeys first or the beach?  Which beach is this in West Bay?  Thanks!!

On our tour we did the sloths and monkeys first. We were dropped off at Bananarama beach club for West Bay. The beach was nice but vendors were very aggressive in case that bothers you. 

We we had two full hours at the beach which was plenty for us.

1 hour ago, MrsFitz said:

Yes, this is West Bay beach.  We were in front of Bananarama.  The tour we took was called Fun n Sun.  Cost was $30 per person.  The sloths can only be held before 11:00 am, when they go to sleep for 21 hours!  You would still be able to view them, but holding is only in the morning.  If that's a "priority", you let them know that when you book your tour.  Our ship was in port at 8 am, and we got off the ship as soon as possible.  Bodden tours was great with sending me multiple emails to confirm our reservation and let us know where to meet them.  Since Mahogany Bay is a port built and owned by Carnival, they don't allow the private tour companies into the port area in the morning.  You'll need to walk to the far end of the shops, similar to Puerta Maya in Cozumel.  Once you pass all of the shops you will see a guard station on the road.  You'll walk about a 1/4 block past the guard station.  There was a person on our side of the road asking folks which company they were looking for, and stopped traffic to get you across the street.  It was a lot easier than I had figured it would be.  We were well on our way by 8:30.  Since the sloths was a priority for us, that was the first stop.  This is where you will pay for your tour and get the wrist bracelet for Bananarama.  Plan on bringing cash for this.  They will tell you in their information that they welcome credit cards, but that Honduras will automatically at an 18% tourism tax to your $30 tour fee.  A young fellow from the sanctuary gave us a great tour of each cage.  We were not rushed in any way at all.  Had no idea what to expect, but it was so much fun.  After the animal sanctuary, we were off to the other side of the island where West Bay beach is located.  It's a good 30 to 40 minute drive, depending upon traffic and construction along the way.  Our driver was Elliott and he pointed out several things to us and was happy to answer any questions we had.  Being a school employee in Texas, I always have lots of questions about how schools work in these countries.  Elliott was born and raised in Roatan.  We arrived at West Bay beach before 10 am.  It was our choice how long we wanted to stay there.  Since the other family thought their all-aboard time was 4:30, we decided that we should leave the beach around 2 to get everyone back in time and also allow shopping time.  Coming back to the port, our vehicle was now considered to be a cab, so Elliott was able to pull into the parking lot right next to the shops so that we didn't have to walk as far.  We did give a nice tip to the young man at the sanctuary as well as to our driver.  I have never been given a bad tour recommendation on CC.  Bodden tours was highly recommended on here, so that's why we used them.  Enjoy.  The beach was far nicer than we had expected.  Just know that there will be TONS of local vendors going up and down the beach all day trying to sell you massages, bracelets, t-shirts, sunglasses, etc.  They weren't overly aggressive.  There was a security guard by us during the entire time we were on the beach.  There were also two security guards along the road we had to walk from the parking lot to the beach.  Having our driver and those security guards made us feel very safe.

We booked a private driver and guide with Ronys Tour.  There were 4 of us and it was $25 pp.  We did some sightseeing, then went to Manawaki Nature park ($15 pp) to play with the monkeys and hold the sloths.  We were the only ones there and they let us stay and interact with the animals as long as we wanted.  Then we headed to West Bay Beach.  Banarama was full when we got there, so our guide took us down the beach to the Grand Roatan resort and we had lunch and snorkeled there. Being at the end of the beach, there were no vendors at all!! The snorkeling was great with piles of fish & colorful coral and the water is crystal clear!!   I highly recommend using Ronys Tour. Our guide, Will, told us all about the island, the residents, their culture and kept the conversation going all day.   He took loads of pictures of us using my phone.  I can't recall our driver's name, but he too was great.  We always felt safe and the van was clean and air conditioned.  They met us promptly at the port entrance and got us back to the port with time to shop and catch a little wifi 😉 Thanks to Ronys Tour, it was by far our favorite stop on the cruise.

I highly recommend Cleve’s Tours (check the reviews on TripAdvisor). Part of the tour is going by Daniel Johnson’s and the cost for it was significantly less than what most posted above. 

2 hours ago, thtalks said:

I highly recommend Cleve’s Tours (check the reviews on TripAdvisor). Part of the tour is going by Daniel Johnson’s and the cost for it was significantly less than what most posted above. 

Did you have a private tour or a group?

i have found most tour operators on Roatan have standardized pricing dependent on the number of people in your group. 

It was a private tour that we booked on their website. 

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Did you have a private tour or a group?

i have found most tour operators on Roatan have standardized pricing dependent on the number of people in your group. 

I found that most tour companies had similar rates.  Cleve's Tour is $35 pp.  Rony's Tour was $25 pp but we had 4 in our group and I noticed a lot of companies reduced the price pp if there were more than two in the group.  Also, we chose to go to Manawakie Nature Park over the other places because we had heard that they have rescued animals there in addition to ones that have been donated.  I highly recommend going there.  For the small additional cost, it was well worth the trip. We were the only ones there and spent a lot of time with the animals.  

On 3/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, PlanoDebbie said:

Yes, this is West Bay beach.  We were in front of Bananarama.  The tour we took was called Fun n Sun.  Cost was $30 per person.  The sloths can only be held before 11:00 am, when they go to sleep for 21 hours!  You would still be able to view them, but holding is only in the morning.  If that's a "priority", you let them know that when you book your tour.  Our ship was in port at 8 am, and we got off the ship as soon as possible.  Bodden tours was great with sending me multiple emails to confirm our reservation and let us know where to meet them.  Since Mahogany Bay is a port built and owned by Carnival, they don't allow the private tour companies into the port area in the morning.  You'll need to walk to the far end of the shops, similar to Puerta Maya in Cozumel.  Once you pass all of the shops you will see a guard station on the road.  You'll walk about a 1/4 block past the guard station.  There was a person on our side of the road asking folks which company they were looking for, and stopped traffic to get you across the street.  It was a lot easier than I had figured it would be.  We were well on our way by 8:30.  Since the sloths was a priority for us, that was the first stop.  This is where you will pay for your tour and get the wrist bracelet for Bananarama.  Plan on bringing cash for this.  They will tell you in their information that they welcome credit cards, but that Honduras will automatically at an 18% tourism tax to your $30 tour fee.  A young fellow from the sanctuary gave us a great tour of each cage.  We were not rushed in any way at all.  Had no idea what to expect, but it was so much fun.  After the animal sanctuary, we were off to the other side of the island where West Bay beach is located.  It's a good 30 to 40 minute drive, depending upon traffic and construction along the way.  Our driver was Elliott and he pointed out several things to us and was happy to answer any questions we had.  Being a school employee in Texas, I always have lots of questions about how schools work in these countries.  Elliott was born and raised in Roatan.  We arrived at West Bay beach before 10 am.  It was our choice how long we wanted to stay there.  Since the other family thought their all-aboard time was 4:30, we decided that we should leave the beach around 2 to get everyone back in time and also allow shopping time.  Coming back to the port, our vehicle was now considered to be a cab, so Elliott was able to pull into the parking lot right next to the shops so that we didn't have to walk as far.  We did give a nice tip to the young man at the sanctuary as well as to our driver.  I have never been given a bad tour recommendation on CC.  Bodden tours was highly recommended on here, so that's why we used them.  Enjoy.  The beach was far nicer than we had expected.  Just know that there will be TONS of local vendors going up and down the beach all day trying to sell you massages, bracelets, t-shirts, sunglasses, etc.  They weren't overly aggressive.  There was a security guard by us during the entire time we were on the beach.  There were also two security guards along the road we had to walk from the parking lot to the beach.  Having our driver and those security guards made us feel very safe.

We are doing this tour in May. It’s four of us. Me, DH, DS (11) and DD (9). We requested to also stop at the chocolate factory. Were you able to see the sights along the drive? I’m glad you had lots of time and did not feel rushed 

For the prices people are posting, $25-35 per person, was this booked ahead of time or day of? Looking at their websites it seems like the rates are higher than what has been quoted in this thread.

we just did Victor Bodden tour at the beginning of May.  2 people with private driver for the day, was $40pp.  all the other stops are extra.  We went to the lookout point overlooking the port area, went to chocolate factory and other vendor shops, then 3+ hours at West End.  also stopped by our drivers house on the way back to the ship and met his kids.  also met his wife on the beach as she was selling massages.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:12 PM, xps15z said:

For the prices people are posting, $25-35 per person, was this booked ahead of time or day of? Looking at their websites it seems like the rates are higher than what has been quoted in this thread.

Private tours have been set at $25pp for 4 or more people, $40 pp for two, for years on Roatan, booked ahead. This is a good price if you require a tour and a driver for the day. We have not had great experiences recently using some of the big name companies on here when we have just wanted transport and not a tour.

If anyone knows an economical and reliable way of getting to and from West End I would welcome suggestions.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

If anyone knows an economical and reliable way of getting to and from West End I would welcome suggestions.

From either port - One could walk out to the main road and take their chances with the taxi drivers who are not paying for the privilege to accommodate cruise quests. Haggle is the watchword and Spanish is helpful. 

If docking in Coxen Hole.. the Mini Bus is aces for smaller parties.  

Posted (edited)

CC wouldn’t quote.

Edited by c-leg5

7 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

From either port - One could walk out to the main road and take their chances with the taxi drivers who are not paying for the privilege to accommodate cruise quests. Haggle is the watchword and Spanish is helpful. 

If docking in Coxen Hole.. the Mini Bus is aces for smaller parties.  

Clearly that would be fine if I was staying on the island, as you do, and timing wasn’t of the essence but it is not what I consider “reliable” on a cruise ship day.

I think you have even said yourself you would be at the mercy of the drivers for your return trip. Either that or set off much earlier than necessary to catch a mini bus. Not the relaxing beach day I am aiming for. 

Sadly, I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the transport situation on each trip to Roatan and it isn’t for want of trying.

i find “reasonable” ways of getting to West Bay for the day but not West End which should be closer but not if I have to do a return water taxi trip to reach it.

I understand one pays for convenience, that is why things are less expensive at Safeway than they are at 7-11. 

The mini bus would do the trick, cruise people have had success but one does need to pay attention to time. 

14 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

I understand one pays for convenience, that is why things are less expensive at Safeway than they are at 7-11. 

The mini bus would do the trick, cruise people have had success but one does need to pay attention to time. 

Your analogy is lost on me. If you are saying by having a private driver I am paying extra for the convenience that is not necessarily true.

Last time i simply wanted to go to West End for the day to explore and had the address of where i wanted to go written out but the driver (provided) spoke only Spanish and could not/would not understand my limited Spanish or it seemed the address or map directions written out. He insisted I needed an English speaking tour guide in the vehicle as well who would need an additional tip. Eventually, after he tried to enroll two assistants, it was determined we didn't want/need a guide but not without wasting at least 20 minutes negotiation time.

It would be so much easier if taxis on Roatan had some degree of regulation, like MOST other Caribbean islands that want to attract cruisers, even if they charge a premium to cruisers. For the most part you are able to produce a paper with an address and manage to get taken there without the need of a tour.

I think Ronny’s Barefoot beach may offer transportation and we have enjoyed it there but really wanted to go to the other end of West End. If anyone knows of any other places that offer transportation to West End I would welcome suggestions.

This is the quotes I received. Does this sound about right to everyone for 3 people? Hopefully this is helpful to people in the future also. The discoverroatan is with their 10% discount. The beach is Infinity Bay entrance.

Ronys Tour:
-$90 for car ride
-$15 each for entrance to zoo
-$20 each for entrance to beach
- $195 total

Victor Bodden Tour:
- $90 for car ride
- $15 total for zoo (11AM deadline to hug)
- Beach range from 10 to 40 per person
- $165 estimated total

discoverroatan.net:
- $149.47 for beach
- $150.62 for zoo
- $270.08 total

monkeyandslothhangout.com:
- Little more expensive than above