Mah jongg on the Edge

floinnc

Why would the Edge get rid of a card/game room?  I have played Mah Jong on longer cruises that have 4 - 5 sea days. There are others in the card room at all times playing various games. The S class ships have a cabinet containing board games.  Others people are playing card games.  Perhaps someone from Celebrity management who is reading this board will explain why the Edge class ships eliminated a a game room

Just another poor design decision.  

And a bit of a philosophical decision, too.  You can read many posts about things that have been done away with on the Edge -- things like the guest choir which require people to interact with each other rather than look at their phone or tablet.  Trivia -- why play with real people when you can go to your room and pull up the app all by yourself?  and I was told the same about bridge -- why play with real people when you can play on your machine.  

4 hours ago, mimbecky said:

I'd be interested to know same regarding the Constellation.

There is a set on Constellation but it has several tiles that have been creatively corrected since it was not complete but had extra jokers and flowers which we renamed. It is confusing at first but worked out in the end. As far as I know only one set was even close to complete. Not a good thing on a cruise with a lot of sea days. (Luckily ours had mostly port days).

You might call captains club and see if they can get a new set or two.

We played on tables at aqua spa café and sometimes in one of the bars that was empty. Forget which one. Better tables near aqua spa. 

• Like 1

Of course you can play mah jongg on Edge, as long as you have an I-Pad or Smart Phone.

Oh, just FYI, based on renderings of the Revolution of M class ships, the library and card room will be no more.  They are soon to become inside cabins.

I'm really hoping they will not eliminate the interior bars such as Ensemble Lounge, Passport Bar and Cellar Masters.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Chezmarylou:  The Mah Jong played on an IPad or IPhone is not the Mah Jong played by thousands of people (mostly women) across the country.  It is played with a Mah Jong set and a Mah Jong card issued annually by the National Mah Jong League.  The card has over 50 combinations of tiles to make Mah Jong.  On previous Celebrity sailings, there were about 10 sets available.  It is a challenging game that takes months to learn (to play well).

3 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

Chezmarylou:  The Mah Jong played on an IPad or IPhone is not the Mah Jong played by thousands of people (mostly women) across the country.  It is played with a Mah Jong set and a Mah Jong card issued annually by the National Mah Jong League.  The card has over 50 combinations of tiles to make Mah Jong.  On previous Celebrity sailings, there were about 10 sets available.  It is a challenging game that takes months to learn (to play well).

Yes, I know that but Edge is all about the tech.  Trivia on Edge is also played on your I-Pad or Smart Phone.  I should have inserted a smile to indicate sarcasm.  :classic_biggrin: Blame it on NY Eve.

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The real problem with the Edge s that she only takes short cruises with a ma. Of two sea days not are not consecutive.   It’s not really made for lazy days at seas, no cardroom and no library.

We have a 9 day  in EDGE to ABC Island..

It's not the cruise length..it's the programming on EDGE

Try to arrange a game on  your roll call ...You can always find a table somewhere out of the way. 

We were told there is no bulletin board to post a card looking for  games, etc. And not sure the activity staff would be able to help you out,. Apparently, they have strict guidelines from Miami

• Thanks 1