NYC, Bermuda & West Indies vs West Indies Explorer

Vineyard View

We are considering both these itineraries for this next fall. Wondering if anyone has done both and if so which one you would recommend?  

We like both but see a couple considerations- and yes, I do know we can plan on both at some point!

NYC trip - latest departure is 10/10 which is a bit early with hurricane season, But we like the fact that there are a couple sea days and is 4 days longer on board. 

West Indies - a couple different islands we wish were on the other itinerary, mostly St Lucia and Barbados. We can take a November trip and historically less likely to be impacted by large storms.

appreciate any input or thoughts. Thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...

We did both in 2018. January for the West Indies Explorer and October/November for the New York, Bermuda. We aren't going to be much help because we just like to cruise and have seen the Caribbean, over and over. We are always attracted by a cruise to/from NYC. To us, it's a beautiful port entry/departure. Although expensive, NYC offers a great opportunity to add on to your vacation. Viking overnights in NYC and San Juan on the New York, Bermuda cruise. That's another plus for us. As you mentioned, the NYC cruise is 4 days longer. I'd go for the length of the cruise plus NYC over St. Lucia and Barbados. 

Thank you MRGACRUZR. We opted for the NYC itinerary on 10/8. 

Now the research has begun. We have never sailed from NYC and are looking forward to that. Hotel prices in NYC are certainly pricey but I am just beginning that search. 

I am looking at mostly independent port forays including some privates as that is how we tend to travel. 

We are very much looking forward to this itinerary. Thanks for your endorsement. 

I would appreciate your Insite on some of these ports (I.e. Guadalupe) if you wouldn’t mind. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, Vineyard View! 

We did the NYC, Bermuda & West Indies last October.  Before Viking Oceans, we had cruised the Caribbean a great many times, but hadn't done so for a few years and we had not been to Antigua or Guadeloupe.  

On embarkation day, we arrived in NYC in time for lunch on the ship and then we headed tp the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, which were very interesting but sobering.  The next morning we took the included Manhattan Highlights tour, which was basically a bus tour of major sights, with a couple stops for photos.  In the afternoon, we took an optional tour, Land & Sea. The Land portion took us past some of the same spots we had seen in the morning, but that was ok as I had never been to NYC.  The Sea portion took uscon a Circle Line tour, cruising up close to the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge.  It was a beautiful day for the cruise.  

We left NYC that evening and had almost 2 full days at sea before cruising into Bermuda. We took the included tour for our day in Bermuda, which was a transportation pass. We hopped on a ferry from Hamilton to the Royal Dockyard, and spent the day exploring that part of the island.  We returned on the bus to see more of the island and get some local flavor, and it was fun!  

On Antigua, I took the included island tour while my hubby took a helicopter tour of Montserrat.  At Guadeloupe, we took a snorkeling tour that was a disappointment.  We had a wonderful horseback ride on Puerto Rico.  

Hope you have a wonderful time!  This October we will be on the Grand European river cruise.  

Becki

Hi Becki!

Good to hear from you. I believe I read some of your posts about this trip last year. Thank you for your insights. 

We have decided to go in one or two nights early as flying from the west coast is an evening arrival for us.  When you sailed from NYC were you close to the Statue of Liberty?  Trying to decide on our must see locations and knowing that would help. I am still narrowing down the hotel choices.

Our Guadalupe port was changed to Dominica, and from what I have read that is a good alternative. For Bermuda we are pretty much doing what it sounds like you did. Would like to get to some of the pink sand beaches like Horseshoe Bay after taking the ferry to the Dockyard, then Returning via bus. 

I think we will take a catamaran on Tortola as the snorkeling is supposed to be great. Not sure about St Martin yet. I was there years ago and there is a 4K pax ship in port that day with us. Thinking maybe water activity. Where did you horseback ride in SJ? 

We LOVED the Grand European Cruise. We would sincerely repeat it again! 

Thanks Again for your feedback 

Terri

• 3 weeks later...

Terri,

The Viking dock is at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at 12th Ave & 54th St.  It is quite distant from Battery Park, closest to the Statue of Liberty.  When I had mapped it to see if we could walk it, it showed 1 hr 45 min.  Uh, no.  Didn't want to waste the little time we had.  That is why we took the Land & Sea excursion, which we liked.  We weren't too far from Chelsea Pier if that helps. 

We have been to Dominica several times.  The last few times, we did private tours.  Dominica was hit hard by the hurricanes almost 2 yrs ago, but I think they are doing well now.  The island's attractions are predominantly natural.  A tour may take you to a waterfall and the Emerald Pool, for example.  Or to see the native Carib Indians. If you choose a nature tour, take along some decent walking shoes that can handle uneven or muddy terrain in the case of rain.  The pathways are ok if not muddy, but if they are, it will be messy.  

The bus in  Bermuda does stop at the Horseshoe Bay pickup.  I loved Bermuda, so I am planning another cruise with a longer stop there, or maybe just a fly-in and rental.  There will be  people in the terminal to help with information and brochures and maps.  So nice!  We got in a bit late on our first evening there due to high winds (the channel is very narrow to navigate, so we were going very slow), but we still had a couple hours to get off and explore the town.  Hamilton is very walkable.  The ferry dock is only a few minutes walk from the ship's dock. 

Snorkeling on Tortola should be great.  Last visit there we went to Virgin Gorda and the baths.  

At San Juan, we went to the foot of the rainforest to ride.  The company we used also does ATV rides and other activities.  We had such a good time with them.  

Becki

Becki, thank you!

So you were able to have a good view of the Statue of Liberty on your sail away, or do you recommend making that a separate plan? 

I made reservations on Dominica for a private tour. We will make several nature stops (waterfalls, pool) that sound lovely. Did you experience the gorge swim during any of your trips, and if so would you consider that a challenging swim? Will be taking my waterproof Teevas on this trip! 

We are looking forward to our first time in Bermuda. I am still leaning towards catamaran in St Martin and St Kitts. 

I don’t want to overplan the ports. I will have my list of options with us and really want to just wing it some depending on the mood and weather. 

Also so thank you Auntiewerewolf for the tip on the Intrepid Museum! 

I appreciate all all of these tips!

Terri,

Apparently, there was a wonderful view of the Statue of Liberty on sailaway, but we were at dinner, so just saw a glimpse of it.  As you already know, the Explorer's Lounge is the place to be, especially on the upper lounge for the best views.  That is also true for the sail-in to Bermuda.  Just beautiful!  

Your plan for Dominica sounds perfect!  We did go to Titou Gorge, and my hubby went in, but he is a strong swimmer.  I am not a swimmer, and even tho' they did have some flotation devices, I have a healthy respect for the water, so I stood on the rocks and took photos.  😄   The water is fairly deep where you get in and there is a current that will carry you into the gorge and you can then float under a waterfall and your guide can take your photo if you leave a camera or phone with him.  It is very scenic.  There's really not much "swimming" per se, as the current will carry you along.  But if you aren't a strong swimmer, I would probably take one of the flotation devices if they offer them.  A couple of the people in our group found the current a bit unnerving, is why I suggest the flotation device.  

I think your plan for St Martin and St Kitts is fine.  We had signed up for the train and a sail tour at St Kitts.  It started out nicely.  We got to the train and as everyone was boarding there was a choir of young people singing.  That was nice.  Then, we started out and the "crew" made us drinks, and then the train screeched to a stop.  And we sat, and we sat.  The train had broken a part and they couldn't move forward or back without it.  Ugh!  So, we entertained ourselves watching goats close to the train fighting among themselves.  They were really head-butting.  We were laughing at them. I think they made those drinks a bit strong!  And so the crew got their part in, but by then it was too late to take our train ride and too late to take us to the catamaran for our sail.  We were just returned to the ship. Bummer.  

Becki

Your goat head butting experience at least sounds unique!  I would have been bummed as well. We read that the snorkeling in St Kitts is said to be the best in BVI so the catamaran seemed like a good way to go. 

The owner of the tour company in Dominica told me that in addition to the flotation device, that he will swim back out with the one in our party who is not a strong swimmer. I thought that sounded great so we will go with it. Thanks for the heads up 

We enjoy earlier dinners, however on the NYC sail away I think we will be out on deck at the Explorers lounge, or on Deck 8 with bubbles in hand! Thanks for the tip on Bermuda sail in. 

I really appreciate all these great pieces of information!

Edited by Vineyard View

Have to agree that a NYC sailaway trumps dinner.  One of the world's great ports.  Cunard (pre Carnival) used the same West Side Passenger Terminal docks, just north of Intrepid.  This location is also a short cab ride to Times Square and all the other mid town attractions.  Sailing down the North River past the Statue of Liberty is a wonderful thing as is sailing under Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  Eating after at the World Cafe sounds just right.😎

On 3/14/2019 at 1:12 PM, Vineyard View said:

Becki, thank you!

So you were able to have a good view of the Statue of Liberty on your sail away, or do you recommend making that a separate plan? 

I made reservations on Dominica for a private tour. We will make several nature stops (waterfalls, pool) that sound lovely. Did you experience the gorge swim during any of your trips, and if so would you consider that a challenging swim? Will be taking my waterproof Teevas on this trip! 

We are looking forward to our first time in Bermuda. I am still leaning towards catamaran in St Martin and St Kitts. 

I don’t want to overplan the ports. I will have my list of options with us and really want to just wing it some depending on the mood and weather. 

Also so thank you Auntiewerewolf for the tip on the Intrepid Museum! 

I appreciate all all of these tips!

Your trip sounds wonderful!  Thought I'd add that we just finished the West Indies Explorer cruise.  So sorry for those who had the broken train in St. Kitts.  We took it and had an absolute blast!  I think it also makes a difference, by chance, who you have in the car with you.  I had to laugh - because, yes, many of were saying they were making those rum drinks pretty strong!  We had a fun party though.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.   Unexpectedly, we also thoroughly enjoyed Dominica.  It had indeed seen some severe damage from the hurricane in 2017 but was quite lush.  We took a chance and did the Viking excursion of Tubing down a River.  Turned out to be one of the highlights of our cruise!  Absolutely fantastic - and got us out of our comfort zone - so fun - and it was a good group and a great set of guides.  I would recommend that highly.   Others you all mention - we did the Baths at Virgin Gorda, which sadly, was a bit crowded and we had some folks on our tour group who shouldn't have done this tour (mobility issues) which really slowed folks on the single file trails and trek through the boulders.  But the waters were fantastic to swim in and the views quite stunning.  

Glad to hear about Bermuda and Hamilton.  We are on a Viking Cruise next year that will be stopping there and good to know you can walk into town. Haven't been there in eons but it was quite beautiful!

CCWinelover, I did see a private river tubing opportunity in Dominica that looked to be great fun as well. I was torn which direction to take. Might still be a bit u decided after reading this!

I also looked at the Baths and decided it looked to be likely very crowded - which I was worried how it would take away from the experience. I tried to find a catamaran that would take us there and then scoot out to snorkel at the popular locations but it sounds like it logistically wouldn’t work. 

Jim the WC might be the best option on sail away from NYC!  Curious as to approximately how long in time it will be to experience this sail out - if we depart at 6:00 what would be an estimated time when we would have experienced what we do not want to miss?  

Thanks everyone! 

VV, I think the entire process is not to be missed but then I have been accused of watching anything ship related.  It's amazing how exciting it is to watch bottom paint dry in a shipyard...😳  But 15/20 minutes after proceeding South you will have a spectacular view of the new tower at the World Trade site.  To starboard Lady Liberty and Ellis Island will be in view.  Going down the harbor don't forget to look astern at the best view of Manhattan.  Depending on traffic your ship should be approaching Verrazano Narrows bridge about 45 minutes into the sailing.  All dependent on weather and traffic of course but that is a rough estimate.  After Verrazano Coney Island will be off to port but somewhat distant.  If you are a real ship freak you will stay on deck till Ambrose Light tower, the traditional "finish line" for the Westbound transatlantic crossing times.  By then you will really be ready for a martini and dinner.  I am very much looking forward to this same sequence on the WC.  🍸

Thank you Jim. That gives me a good idea of timing. So an hour+ sounds like a must. So does taking a libation with us! 😂  Really looking forward to this! 

Another WC on the books for you! Wow!  That is pretty incredible and must be very exciting to anticipate doing again! I enjoyed following posts from the first one. 

Edited by Vineyard View

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you Jim. That gives me a good idea of timing. So an hour+ sounds like a must. So does taking a libation with us! 😂  Really looking forward to this! 

And another WC on the books for you! Wow!  I enjoyed following posts from the first one. 

Thanks.  I hope to do it again.  A big part of the fun of that thread was the great group of participants.  Lots of super pictures (that I am too inept to know how to post) and plenty of valuable viewpoints.  One other thing about the sail away is that about 10 minutes after departure you will be where Captain Sullenberger did his perfect job of landing an A320 in the water.  If you were on deck that day what a view you would have had!😎

There was a great group of people on that WC thread. It was as you say very informative and the pictures (I am inept in that area as well) were great to attach with the stories. 

Yes, that would have been quite the site - Captain Sullenberger was an outstanding hero that day for sure. Thanks for sharing

We have a double treat on the upcoming WC in that we are scheduled to  arrive October 9th at Noon.  That will be a beautiful trip up the harbor.  After two nights in the Big Apple we sail away on the 11th at 6pm.  Probably dark or nearly so that time of the year but the lights and brightly lit Lady Liberty will still be exciting.  We then follow the same basic route as your cruise to Bermuda and the Caribbean.  Entering and leaving one of the great port cities of the world. 🍸

Edited by Jim Avery