Exhausted by the Upsell

In main dining room on mariner last week, the photographers came around to the tables & ASKED us if we wanted our pictures taken.  I found this to be a better approach than completely interrupting our meal & just automatically taking our pictures as we had experienced in past cruises.

2 hours ago, George C said:

Did not see any upselling on recent oasis cruise, did see some on some other cruises but did not find it annoying.

Same here. They were in the hall outside Windjammer hawking speciality restaurants but did not annoy us.

What I could do without are the minutes-long disturbances on the PA system about the freaking art auctions. 🙂

All,  I'm encouraged by your responses, and I'm hopeful that those regrettable experiences we had on those last few (Royal) cruises were isolated, and that it's just unfortunate that they were back to back for us.  We're looking forward to coming home to "our" cruise line again.  

I know we're still going to sample Celebrity and Holland America at some point in the future.  Variety is (after all) the spice of life.

But not too much.  We're so close to Diamond!  Woot! :classic_laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight.

The key is to be a memorable personality when you decline the offer(s) the first time; if they remember you declined they won't approach you again. Engage them a bit; for dining offers, ask them what specifically is bad in the MDR that they feel you should be paying for a specialty restaurant. Have fun; engage them. They'll remember you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tom.Terrific said:

All,  I'm encouraged by your responses, and I'm hopeful that those regrettable experiences we had on those last few (Royal) cruises were isolated, and that it's just unfortunate that they were back to back for us.  We're looking forward to coming home to "our" cruise line again.  

I know we're still going to sample Celebrity and Holland America at some point in the future.  Variety is (after all) the spice of life.

But not too much.  We're so close to Diamond!  Woot! :classic_laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight.

We were getting the upsells on our Celebrity cruise last year too!  Approached at least 3 times during dinner in the MDR. :classic_rolleyes: But without one of the upsell speeches we would have missed the most amazing lunch we have ever had at their sushi restaurant.  SOOOOOOOO good!  It did get tiresome having our dinner and conversations interrupted.  I like the suggestion above about telling the dining staff upfront that you don't want to be bothered during dinner with dining specials or pictures. If I would like to know about the deals then I will ask myself.