Solo gay traveler considering first gay cruise, Atlantis August 25 2019

JustinL90

Hi, I'm a 30-yo gay man and am considering booking my first gay cruise (and first ever cruise) and I have a few questions. The specific cruise I'm considering is Atlantis's Oasis Mediterranean Cruise out of Barcelona on August 25, 2019 (on Royal Caribean's Oasis of the Seas).

I can't find reviews specifically for Atlantis (or RSVP, etc.) on this site. I know they just charter the ships from the big cruise lines, but I don't know how much from the reviews of those lines are applicable to Atlantis. Does anyone know where to find up-to-date reviews of all-gay cruises? Or, if you've been on one can you share your experience?

Since I'm traveling solo, I'm considering using the Room Share Program to save money. Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously, there's always the risk your roommate might have an incompatible sleep schedule (I'm probably staying out late at parties and sleeping in during the morning), be inconvenient if you want privacy, or just be creep. Another company I looked at does the assignment by smoking/non-smoking and age range, which might help avoid some of these issues, but Atlantis says they assign strictly by smoking/non-smoking.

Does anyone know what the social dynamic is like for solo cruisers on the younger side on these ships? Do new friend groups tend to form on these cruises, or are most people pretty much already in the groups/couples they came with? For reference, I've traveled solo to gay destinations like Provincetown and always managed to meet some people while there, but the aforementioned cliquishness  still seems like a trend. I also like meeting guys through Grindr while doing other solo travel.

Questions about costs not included in the main reservation: What are drink prices like? I've heard there's a beverage package that might save money if you know you'll be buying drinks. Does anyone know pricing? How much are the excursions at ports? Wifi package price? Any other charges they don't advertise beforehand?

Not a question, but thought I'd bring it up since it comes up a lot in other threads about gay cruises. I understand that not all the guys will look like the underwear-model types in the promotional material. I have moderated expectations  😁

Thanks in advance for any help on making this decision!

• Like 1

I cannot answer many of your questions but I can offer a few suggestions. For Atlantis and RSVP cruises you might want to visit the site Meet Me Onboard dot com as it is more LBGT focused with reviews and boards for cabin sharing etc. That said I would be reluctant to share a cabin with a stranger just based on some horror (or Whore) stories I have heard from friends where cabinmates got too familiar or assumed you were one of the ship board activities. To each their own but not my scene. As a bear;  I always travel with a handful of brownie bites to throw at other, overly aggressive, bears to distract them from making unwanted advances. The drinks package pricing, internet etc. will all be detailed on the RC Oasis website. Just one last caveat-many cruise lines require passengers sharing a cabin to purchase the same sort of beverage package. You might want to enquire if this will be necessary on your charter. I am really looking forward to other replies and can't wait to hear about your cruise. Regards, Chad 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Generally they won't offer drink packages on charters, doubly so for the all-gay cruises where the alcoholic beverage consumption can run two to three times a normal sailing. It's all about money. 🙂 The Oasis-class alcoholic beverage prices are typically in the $9-$13 range, depending on brand and mixers. Wines can be higher by the glass. Non-alcohol refreshment and soda packages should still be available.

• Like 2

Thanks Chad and dswallow. From RC's blog, it looks like the beverage package is, "$63 - $70 per guest, per day (excludes gratuity)". Even if it's offered, I can't imagine spending that much per day drinks anyway.

I'll check out ***** as well.

-Justin

9 minutes ago, JustinL90 said:

Thanks Chad and dswallow. From RC's blog, it looks like the beverage package is, "$63 - $70 per guest, per day (excludes gratuity)". Even if it's offered, I can't imagine spending that much per day drinks anyway.

I'll check out ***** as well.

-Justin

In practice the drink package is always sold in advance at a discount, 20%, 25% or 30% off, at various times prior to a sailing. So your real cost, if you plan in advance, is much lower than those prices, as low as $44-$49/day at the 30% discount.

And at up to $13/drink, it can take as little as an average of 3 or 4 alcoholic beverages and a specialty coffee or soda or bottles of water each day to break even.

• Like 1

First off, I don't know of any place/website (other than what individuals have posted on CC) on specific reviews of any all-gay cruises.  However, you can do a Youtube.com search and there are many videos of highlights of past Atlantis/RSVP cruises.   That might at least give you a feel of what to expect at the parties. 

Second...I've done the room share program many times and each cabin mate is different.  One guy would have absolutely nothing to do with me and with others we might go have dinner together or go into port.  Although there is never any expectations you will hang out together. Atlantis gives each person a letter on how best to work out the cabin share and respecting each other privacy.  I think most people understand this and are respectful...however, I have heard of a few cabin share horror stories. Atlantis staff is there intervene should your room share not work out; but changing cabin is probably not an option since most cabins are usually sold out.  As long as you just use your cabin to sleep, change, nap and shower than you should be just fine. However, if you are worried about privacy and/or plan to spend a lot of time in your cabin (I just can't see this on an all-gay cruises) than a room share is not an option.  I do think they try to group cabin shares in age ranges; but they can't guarantee it other than smoking/non-smoking. I always introduce myself on the first day and discuss up front how best we can share the cabin together.  I've never had any problems. 

As far as the solo cruise experience - never had any issues.  Atlantis offers nightly singles cocktail parties and two singles dinner during the cruise.  On other nights as you enter the dinner room the staff is there to seat you with other guests in the dining room usually at tables of 8.  The mix of guys (and a few women) ranges from 21 to 80 with the average ages in early 40's.  European cruise will tend to get more Europeans; but you will have guys from all other the world and every shape and size.  Since you get people from all other I find most people friendly and easy to meet.  Sure, there will groups of friends traveling together and couples.  I believe it's about 50/50 couples to singles. I've never been on an Atlantis cruise where I didn't meet some nice people.  These cruises are perfect for singles; but you do have to get out of your comfort zone and mix and mingle a bit. If you are shy well this might be a tad difficult. But the staff is there is help out.  You will have some a lone time and that's perfectly OK.  This cruise will have a lot of ports so you'll be off ship and touring.  The ship excursions are a great way to meeting other on your cruise.  

Sorry, no drink packages on any charters.  It would be a money losing issue for the cruise line.  People on charters tend to drink 2x to 3x vs. a regular mainstream cruise as I was told by Atlantis .  Soda and water package are offered.  If you want to find out current individual drink prices...just google "RCL bar prices/menu."  Are far are other prices and information on shore excursions, spa, internet, etc. you should go the the "Royal Caribbean International" web site.  You won't be available to book anything until Atlantis advises you via email about 1-2 mos prior since you'll need your RCL booking # to complete any purchase.  If you have any issues/questions just call Atlantis reservations. 

Yes, Atlantis promotional material is nothing like the real cruises. Sadly sex sells.  Sure, there are some eye candy, but there are a lot of normal guys too!   Not to worry.  

Lastly, there are late night "theme" parties on board and well as afternoon "T-dances" up around the pool with top DJ's and sound systems and lighting.  Atlantis usually send out the theme events about 1 month prior....no earlier.  White party, 80's, 90's theme, Mardi gras, leather, military, tropical, etc.  It's totally up to you if you want to bring outfits, but on a gay cruise it's very popular.  

There is usually a "Facebook group" on your specific cruise.  It's a great way to discuss your cruise with others going as well connect prior with those going on your cruise.  Just go to FB and search for "Atlantis Oasis Med Cruise." and ask to join the group.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 12:23 AM, Chad_O said:

.... As a bear;  I always travel with a handful of brownie bites to throw at other, overly aggressive, bears to distract them from making unwanted advances...

I'd attack just for the brownie bites.

• Haha 2

Hey guys, found a new charter company and they are offered gift a several drink packages, a 50, 100 & more package...instead of daily package. I put my deposit down last weekend and added a 50 drink package (light drinker here). It’s the Celebrity Summit New England Cruise chartered by a Vacaya a new charter company and this is their first charter cruise. I’m looking forward to it. 

Edited by DKcruiser10

So happy I found this board...   I just booked the 2019 Atlantis Mediterranean Cruise and will be doing the room share program.   I have no idea what to expect as this will be my first cruise and first time doing any kind of share program.   

JustinL90 - shoot me a message if you’re interested in exchanging info and helping each other out through the process.   

-jeff 

I’m in a similar situation. 33 y/o and happen to be on vacation from work during this cruise. Was looking at my cruise options and this came up. I’ve never done Europe, and have almost always sailed on NCL. This looks like a great opportunity for new experiences all around (Europe, new cruise line for me, gay cruise) but I’m hesitant with the traveling solo part (and paying double) and even more hesitant about the “roommate lottery”. Guess I’m going to have to sit back for a bit and think this one through. 

• Like 1

I am on this cruise aswell, first time on a Gay cruise, I am using the room share program and  it will be my first time sharing a room with stranger, 

Comboy thanks for the info... Just found a group on Facebook for this cruise.

Edited by pecobri

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 11:18 AM, COMBOY said:

"...There is usually a "Facebook group" on your specific cruise.  It's a great way to discuss your cruise with others going as well connect prior with those going on your cruise.  Just go to FB and search for "Atlantis Oasis Med Cruise." and ask to join the group."

I've been on the Atlantis European cruises the past 2 years and have been part of the respective Facebook Group Discussion Boards. Many solo travelers looking for a cabin share have posted there. They will post what their interests are... late night partiers/no late night partiers, early to bed/early to rise, light sleeper, no snorers, etc etc. You get the idea. That would be a good way to find a possible cabin mate to share and even travel around with. Who knows.

After being married for a few years and now getting divorced, I need a fun cruise! Not use to traveling alone but I guess that's the way to start! Just very hesitant of sharing a room with a stranger. If you really don't connect as a roommate are there any alternatives once aboard?

• 2 weeks later...