An Adventure of a LIfetime - Preview and Semi-Live Trip Report - AOS - Eastern

Enjoy your trip.   I look forward to your review.   A couple thoughts....

We love OSJ.   If you can't get to the forts, a stroll along Calle Forteleza is always nice.   If you want to walk down to the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista and then a look in El Convento hotel, there are also some beautiful sights and picture taking opportunities.  One of my pics from the Fort last year looks eerily similar to your St. Augustine pic...

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

For meals, we are in the LOVE Giovanni's camp.   One thing we've done, both at Giovanni's and in Jamie's Italian on Harmony, is ask to get the Lamb chops main course brought out as an appetizer.   They are so wonderfully delicious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zdad59 said:

Enjoy your trip.   I look forward to your review.   A couple thoughts....

We love OSJ.   If you can't get to the forts, a stroll along Calle Forteleza is always nice.   If you want to walk down to the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista and then a look in El Convento hotel, there are also some beautiful sights and picture taking opportunities.  One of my pics from the Fort last year looks eerily similar to your St. Augustine pic...

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

For meals, we are in the LOVE Giovanni's camp.   One thing we've done, both at Giovanni's and in Jamie's Italian on Harmony, is ask to get the Lamb chops main course brought out as an appetizer.   They are so wonderfully delicious.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the Spanish forts share common elements. I look forward to visiting San Juan. It is the only port I am bringing sneakers for. I know it will be a lot of walking.

• Like 1

Also.....If you are going to do any travelling around St. Maarten, there is a bakery in Marigot called Seraphina's.   It was beachside before it was completely destroyed by Hurricane Irma.   There is word out now though that it has re-opened in a smaller shop, in the Marina Royale area.   You can research it best on Trip Advisor.     The VERY BEST breads and pastries I have ever eaten.  PERIOD.    If you get over to Marigot when you are on St. Maarten, you need to check it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zdad59 said:

Also.....If you are going to do any travelling around St. Maarten, there is a bakery in Marigot called Seraphina's.   It was beachside before it was completely destroyed by Hurricane Irma.   There is word out now though that it has re-opened in a smaller shop, in the Marina Royale area.   You can research it best on Trip Advisor.     The VERY BEST breads and pastries I have ever eaten.  PERIOD.    If you get over to Marigot when you are on St. Maarten, you need to check it out.

Our current plan is to start our day at Holland House. I'll see if we can get over there.

Thanks!

• Like 1

It's just one week until we drive to Fort Lauderdale!

Cruising is in the local news right now, because of the norovirus outbreak on Oasis of the seas, which shortened their sailing and caused them to miss two ports (not be allowed to disembark).

PSA: Wash your hands. After you touch elevators, railings, or anything in a public space. Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry thoroughly. Touch no food until your hands are clean and dry. That chocolate strawberry isn't worth being ill for days.

I will finish charging camera batteries, reorganizing my camera bag, and get most of the packing done this weekend.

Happy Friday!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

Cruising is in the local news right now, because of the norovirus outbreak on Oasis of the seas

I truly feel for those passengers on the Oasis, but I actually don't mind seeing news like this fairly close to our cruise dates because it raises the awareness for everyone to be more diligent.

We seem to have something in the headlines very close to every cruise.  It's either been the Costa Concordia, the fire on a Carnival ship causing the poop cruise, noro outbreaks, you name it.  It seems to happen every time.  For some, it may freak them out, for us, we glad that it raised the awareness for passengers and crew. (not that we want any tragedy or bad things to happen to cruise passengers, but I hope you get what I'm sayin...)

Dan

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I truly feel for those passengers on the Oasis, but I actually don't mind seeing news like this fairly close to our cruise dates because it raises the awareness for everyone to be more diligent.

We seem to have something in the headlines very close to every cruise.  It's either been the Costa Concordia, the fire on a Carnival ship causing the poop cruise, noro outbreaks, you name it.  It seems to happen every time.  For some, it may freak them out, for us, we glad that it raised the awareness for passengers and crew. (not that we want any tragedy or bad things to happen to cruise passengers, but I hope you get what I'm sayin...)

Dan

I agree entirely. We are savvy travelers wherever we go, on a ship is no different. Yes, we enjoy the service and environment on a ship, but we are aware of others and try to avoid those who are sick, drunk, or belligerent.

Has anyone on the Adventure lately, deck 7 forward, had an inside muster drill? If we get one, it will be our first.

We also got the standard "arrive after noon" email, though I fervently hope that by noon on the day of the cruise I will be with our foursome in the Windjammer sampling a plate of embarkation-day paella. Ok, maybe 12:30. Here's hoping this is a safe, illness-free cruise for all of us! On board, I always try to avoid touching railings and other surfaces unless I have to, and I wash my hands often. Did Adventure get the handwashing area leading up to the windjammer in the last refit, or was that on some other ship I've seen pics of?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bilyclub said:

Please give some updates on how Ken Jones is a Cruise Director.  It seems there is a very high turnover rate with the CD's now.

Will do. We have had two great cruise directors, Mark Bing Bong Walker, and Abe Hughes, so it's hard to measure up to them. We liked Cruisin' Susan as well.

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We also got the standard "arrive after noon" email, though I fervently hope that by noon on the day of the cruise I will be with our foursome in the Windjammer sampling a plate of embarkation-day paella. Ok, maybe 12:30. Here's hoping this is a safe, illness-free cruise for all of us! On board, I always try to avoid touching railings and other surfaces unless I have to, and I wash my hands often. Did Adventure get the handwashing area leading up to the windjammer in the last refit, or was that on some other ship I've seen pics of?

I am not sure about the WJ hand washing set up. I won't know until we're all aboard. 

I did not buy the ship internet for this cruise, and will be disconnected on all three sea days, and day 1 after we sail. 

We have T-Mobile and our plan allows us to use data and text around the world for no additional fees. We will talk to our son via a messaging app and check in at least twice when in port. He's 20 and most likely does not want to talk to mom and dad all four port days. 

More info here: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming

On 1/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, dreadpirate3 said:

I look forward to visiting San Juan. It is the only port I am bringing sneakers for. I know it will be a lot of walking.

The dark blue cobblestones get very hot in the afternoon and seem to make walking a bit more taxing. Comfortable sneakers are a must. I would never to Old San Juan in sandals.

I'll be on this cruise too. I've done this itinerary several times on Indy (I think 3 times), Navigator, and Freedom. The 8 days are really nice. I haven't been on Adventure for a while now though sailed on her several times out of San Juan. Always had great cruises on this ship.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The dark blue cobblestones get very hot in the afternoon and seem to make walking a bit more taxing. Comfortable sneakers are a must. I would never to Old San Juan in sandals.

I'll be on this cruise too. I've done this itinerary several times on Indy (I think 3 times), Navigator, and Freedom. The 8 days are really nice. I haven't been on Adventure for a while now though sailed on her several times out of San Juan. Always had great cruises on this ship.

Are you going to attend the meet & mingle? I would like to say hi if you do.

We have a fairly relaxed roll call if you want to join. 

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Great pre-review so far with all the details.  Looks like a great itinerary and ship.  Stateroom looks neat too.  Happy to follow along.

Thank you! I just picked up some clips for the curtains. Not sure they will be needed, but having a window off the bow will be a new experience. 

Tomorrow's chores:

Charging batteries, packing the chargers, cables, etc.

Changing batteries in the travel alarm clock with built in night light.

Cleaning snorkel equipment and dry bags.

Packing.

Thank you to all who have commented, followed, or viewed. I enjoy sharing my travel stories with fellow cruise enthusiasts.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, dreadpirate3 said:

Cruising is in the local news right now, because of the norovirus outbreak on Oasis of the seas, which shortened their sailing and caused them to miss two ports (not be allowed to disembark).

PSA: Wash your hands. After you touch elevators, railings, or anything in a public space. Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry thoroughly. Touch no food until your hands are clean and dry. That chocolate strawberry isn't worth being ill for days.

I will finish charging camera batteries, reorganizing my camera bag, and get most of the packing done this weekend.

Happy Friday!

Just off OASIS, see you Saturday. 

20190112_152035.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No way, I met Biker last week and now the chance to meet Dr Ocean.  😀

1 minute ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I like it! I look forward to meeting both of you. Wish Bella could come along!

I assume a clean bill of health?

You know what happens when you assume. 😉

I think we're fine. 

Bell is staying with neighbors again, and again, and again. I ordered them a custom crate from Chewie.com, I hope they like it.

• Like 1

We will be getting off the Adventure tomorrow morning from this same itinerary.  You will love it! So far it's our favorite besides Alaska.  Having A03 as a muster you will be inside in the Imperial Lounge. Which is nice because most of Adventure muster is out on deck.

• Like 1