Live from the 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage

Scrapnana

January 28, 2019

At Sea

Today was cool (40s) and raining off and on.  I spent about four minutes out on my deck because of the cold and the rain.

Went to Knitters and Stitchers but only about 6 were present (there were a number of lectures this morning).

Lunch in the Lido and then to afternoon trivia.  We won with 20.5 out of 23.

1) There were six Russian leaders named Ivan.  Which one was Ivan the Terrible?

2) What was the name of Speedy Gonzalez not so fast cousin?

3) What number is a hurricane of the Beaufort Scale?

4) Who was the first to invent and implement multiple choice questions – ancient Greeks, Japanese military, British Board of Education, or U.S. military?

5) In Constantinople in 523 AD there were 30,000 deaths due to rioting over what sport?

Bonus:  Name the 5 Spice Girls (not the real names) and which one is not taking part in the reunion tour.

In arts and crafts we made a memory book.  Afterwards I had another hot chocolate and sat in the library knitting.

I ate early with my other table.  I had tomato soup, chicken tikka, mac and cheese with lobster, and crème caramel for dessert.

Then it was time for evening trivia.  We had 16 out of 17 and tied with a number of teams.  We tied with three teams in the first tiebreaker but lost the second.

1) Which wedding anniversary is the crystal? (the one we missed)

2) Who recorded “The Dark Side of the Moon”?

3) Which country has the most active volcanos?

4) Which Hollywood actress was known as “The Legs”

5) What is the currency in India called?

First tiebreaker – Name the four US Presidents assassinated.

Second tiebreaker – How many muscles in an elephant’s trunk?

Went to the show at 8 pm (they had been moved to 6:30 and 8 because of rough seas).  The Divas of Motown performed again.  At 9:00 we played Name That Tune and had 18 out of 30.  The winners had 19.

Afternoon trivia

1) The fourth

2) Slowpoke Rodriquez

3) 12

4) US military

5) Chariot racing

Bonus – Posh, Scary, Ginger, Sporty, and Baby – Posh is not doing the tour

Evening trivia

1) 15

2) Pink Floyd

3) Indonesia

4) Betty Grable

5) Rupee

First tiebreaker – Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy

Second tiebreaker – 40,000 muscles

Smooth sailing until next time!

12 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I wonder if your trivia host keeps a separate file of tie-breaker questions? 40,000 muscles in an elephant’s trunk. I would not want to have had the job of counting them.

Linda, the Cruise Director, usually runs afternoon trivia.  If teams tie, that is the end of it (after all, there is no prize for the winners).  The two assistant CDs, Erin and Alice, always do tiebreakers.  

• Like 1

January 29, 2019

At Sea

We spent the day viewing glaciers and cruising down the Strait of Magellan which, before the Panama Canal, was one of the three routes between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.  I did not get up for the first glacier (6 am) but did take a picture out of my window of some of the ice floating around.  I was awake and out on deck to see the second glacier.

I did something today that I have not done before on this cruise – I went to breakfast.  I sat with Pat and Tom and first tried one of the sticky buns.  Although I love sugar, it was so sweet I could not eat more than a bite.  Then I tried scrambled eggs and a British banger.  The eggs were runny and tasteless so I left them but the banger was delicious.

Pat and I stayed in the Lido to work on our stitching projects.  Lots of light and great views of the fjords.

After lunch it was time for trivia.  We had 16 out of 23 but the winners had 18.

1) What early Renaissance Italian painter’s name literally translates to “little barrel”?

2) Which came first – Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke?

3) When was the last French death by guillotine?

4) What two countries border Kuwait?

5) On which side was the Titanic hit by the iceberg?

Bonus:  Name the six official languages of the United Nations.

In arts and crafts we made a penguin card.  I also finished a couple of other projects.

Finished my shawl I started the other day.

While I was getting ready for the evening I heard noise from out on my deck and looked out to see it was hailing!  About ten minutes later there was a beautiful rainbow (I understand there were a few rainbows but I could only see one).

Evening trivia was in the Showroom because we entered the Strait of Magellan at the same time and there was commentary going on the Crow’s Nest.  We had 12 out of 18 and the winners had 13.

1) To a stereo buff, what does “DAT” stand for?

2) What was the name of the taxi company on the TV series “Taxi”?

3) What was the first movie musical banned in China?

4) What salt tolerant tree once grew on 60% of tropical coastlines?

5) What is the third largest island in the Caribbean after Cuba and Hispaniola?

Six of us present for dinner.  I had fruit, shrimp, spaghetti and a Bananas Foster sundae.  I skipped the show because I had seen it last year.

Afternoon trivia

1) Botticelli

2) Diet Pepsi (1964) – Diet Coke was 1982

3) 1977

4) Saudi Arabia and Iraq

5) Starboard

Bonus – English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic

Evening trivia

1) Digital audio tape

2) Sunshine Cab Company

3) The Sound of Music (she did not tell us why and I have been unable to find out on the internet)

4) Mangroves

5) Jamaica

Smooth sailing until next time!

9 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

3) The Sound of Music (she did not tell us why and I have been unable to find out on the internet)

Apparently all classical music was banned by Chairman Mao during the Cultural Revolution.  I think it was deemed "intellectual and elitist".

Roy

• Thanks 1

Kathi, I'm sure it is a little on the cool side when you are sailing by the glaciers with the ice around you, but I have a good way to warm you up.  This morning the temperature here was -32F with a wind chill of -57F.   I hope you are enjoying the cruise, we miss you on the sail away threads, but Jacqui is doing a good job while you are gone.

12 hours ago, travelnap said:

Kathi, I'm sure it is a little on the cool side when you are sailing by the glaciers with the ice around you, but I have a good way to warm you up.  This morning the temperature here was -32F with a wind chill of -57F.   I hope you are enjoying the cruise, we miss you on the sail away threads, but Jacqui is doing a good job while you are gone.

You're right, that warmed me right up!!!  I can't even imagine what -57 feels like.

I know Jacqui is doing a fantastic job and I really appreciate her doing it on top of the Bon Voyage threads.

January 30, 2019

Punta Arenas, Chile

Pat and I were on a mission to find yarn for her to make a sweater for her soon-to-be-born grandchild.  I had done some research on the internet (Have I mentioned how much I love the unlimited plan?) and found two likely places.  We walked to a store past the square and found some yarn she liked (OK, I found some I liked, too). 

We walked around the square on our way back and looked at the stalls selling all kinds of things.  We then walked back to an artisans’ market – which also was part fish market – where I found a little more yarn to buy.

We had left the ship at 10 am and I got back on around 1:30. We had walked about two miles.

I had a leisurely lunch in the Lido.  I ordered one of my favorites, pasta with Alfredo sauce, but the sauce was fishy-tasting so I had pizza instead.

We had 16 out of 17 correct but two teams had a perfect 17.

1) In the Lion King, what kind of animal is Timon?

2) Which Beatles song has been covered by at least 2960 artists?

3) Who is the Roman goddess of fertility, hunting, and the moon?

4) If you are dining “al fresco”, where are you dining?

5) What is Hebrew for “Praise the Lord”?

For evening trivia we had 13 out of 17 but two teams tied with 15.

1) In 1846 an Englishman and Frenchman jointly discovered which planet?

2) What was the first public performance when the Sydney Opera House opened in 1973 – Carmen, War and Peace, or Tosca?

3) What is the name for a triangle with no even sides?

4) What made Dumbo’s ears get larger in the Disney cartoon movie?

5) Who directed both Titanic and Avatar?

After trivia, Pat and I ran off a couple of patterns for a sweater and hat for the baby.  How did I not know that there is a printer in the library that is free to use???

Only five of us present for dinner.  I had fruit, a spring roll, pot roast (tender but dry) and Caribbean rum cake (which was delicious).

There was no show.

Afternoon trivia

1) Meerkat

2) Yesterday

3) Diana

4) Outside

5) Hallelujah

Evening trivia

1) Neptune

2) War and Peace

3) Scalene

4) Sneezing