Valuables at GSC??

caddykid12

Will be at GSC next week.

To my knowledge there is no lockers and im not renting a cabana. 

If my wife and i decide to go in the water. Where can we leave our valuables?? Would be foolish for only one of us to go in the water at a time while the other one guards our belongings. Camera and phone etc..

What do you usually do???

You leave anything your bring ashore on your longer on the beach.

We have been to GSC a 7 times and do the same thing. On several occasions, we have returned to find squatters in our clamshell sheltering from the sun. But all of our gear was still in our beach bags. 

Don't bring anything of great value. 

Edited by BirdTravels

We just bring a small amount of cash for souvenirs, which we leave zipped inside our beach bag. The beach bag stays at our lounger. We usually swim right in front of the area where our lounger is, so we’d notice someone rummaging through our stuff.

We carry cash only to GSC and maybe a small camera. I do one of two things in places like these. Either make sure it fits in the pocket of my trunks or bring a small zip lock bag and bury it in the sand under my beach chair

1 hour ago, ColinIllinois said:

Cruise ships have crime just like anywhere else in the world.  It happens.

After I posted I knew that I would get a response like this, so let me elaborate. The OP's question was specifically about keeping stuff safe on GSC. There will be some 3,000-4,000 of your fellow cruisers on the island. You will be cheek to jowl, and you will know who your neighbors are. It is highly unlikely that the people next to you will rifle through your stuff while you are off swimming, since many people will observe this. In other words, your fellow passengers are also the guardians of your property, although unwittingly so. 

I am a lifelong beachgoer. My husband and I like to take hours long walks on our favorite Long Island beach. Only once was our bag moved, and that was by a fellow beachgoer nearby, because the tide was coming in and it would  have soaked our stuff. My cellphone was still in the bag and dry, thanks to this person's intervention.

We have been to GSC several times and have no qualms leaving our stuff in the bag while swimming. We do have an underwater camera that we take with us if we go snorkeling, but otherwise it stays in the bag.

Now this applies to GSC. If we are on a beach in the Caribbean, for example, we exercise more caution with our stuff. I remember being on a beach in Barbados (not through a cruise) and there was a local sitting under a tree very close to our blanket. I had a bad feeling about him and kept an eye on him while in the water. I have an insulated bag for water, drinks, snacks, which looks like a woman's purse. When we came out of the water and I unzipped my "purse" for some refreshments, this gentleman left. Coincidence? You decide.

11 hours ago, caddykid12 said:

Will be at GSC next week.

To my knowledge there is no lockers and im not renting a cabana. 

If my wife and i decide to go in the water. Where can we leave our valuables?? Would be foolish for only one of us to go in the water at a time while the other one guards our belongings. Camera and phone etc..

What do you usually do???

Other than some cash, your ship card, and a CC what valuables are you talking about? All of that can go in a pocket and get wet. A camera? Just leave it under a towel.

28 minutes ago, suometar said:

After I posted I knew that I would get a response like this, so let me elaborate. The OP's question was specifically about keeping stuff safe on GSC. There will be some 3,000-4,000 of your fellow cruisers on the island. You will be cheek to jowl, and you will know who your neighbors are. It is highly unlikely that the people next to you will rifle through your stuff while you are off swimming, since many people will observe this. In other words, your fellow passengers are also the guardians of your property, although unwittingly so. 

I am a lifelong beachgoer. My husband and I like to take hours long walks on our favorite Long Island beach. Only once was our bag moved, and that was by a fellow beachgoer nearby, because the tide was coming in and it would  have soaked our stuff. My cellphone was still in the bag and dry, thanks to this person's intervention.

We have been to GSC several times and have no qualms leaving our stuff in the bag while swimming. We do have an underwater camera that we take with us if we go snorkeling, but otherwise it stays in the bag.

Now this applies to GSC. If we are on a beach in the Caribbean, for example, we exercise more caution with our stuff. I remember being on a beach in Barbados (not through a cruise) and there was a local sitting under a tree very close to our blanket. I had a bad feeling about him and kept an eye on him while in the water. I have an insulated bag for water, drinks, snacks, which looks like a woman's purse. When we came out of the water and I unzipped my "purse" for some refreshments, this gentleman left. Coincidence? You decide.

We live in NJ and go down the shore a lot. Never has anything been taken, except food by the seagulls. Hundreds of trips, Dd once left a bag with her cellphone in it, didn’t realize it until I got a call from the local police, someone turned it in. 

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We live in NJ and go down the shore a lot. Never has anything been taken, except food by the seagulls. Hundreds of trips, Dd once left a bag with her cellphone in it, didn’t realize it until I got a call from the local police, someone turned it in. 

Funny you should mention the thieving seagulls. I was eating my ham and cheese sandwich on the beach. As I was going to take another bite, I discovered that my hand held --  nothing. That was some fast seagull! But I haven't seen any seagulls on GSC so we should all be safe  :classic_biggrin:

27 minutes ago, suometar said:

Funny you should mention the thieving seagulls. I was eating my ham and cheese sandwich on the beach. As I was going to take another bite, I discovered that my hand held --  nothing. That was some fast seagull! But I haven't seen any seagulls on GSC so we should all be safe  :classic_biggrin:

Every single time one of my kids ends up losing a sandwich, better to eat under a towel!