Maiden/ inaugural cruises

little britain

Hi LB ... having real problems with internet connection.

I haven't been on an inaugural;  we were on the "tail-end" of one when we boarded Meraviglia in Barcelona.  The inaugural officially ended 2 days later when we arrived in Genoa.  However, I did hear that, for the first few days, people were given free drinks packages and the menu items in the Jean-Philippe franchise were also included.  I can't remember if there was anything else.  I'm in touch with a couple who were on the inaugural;  I'll see if I can get any more info for you.

They did nothing for the maiden voyage of Seaview, except put in a cruise before the advertised maiden voyage, which they had to cancel at short notice thus making the original maiden voyage actually THE maiden voyage.

For those who don't know,

The Maiden Voyage is the first cruise with paying guests after the ship is delivered from the builders.

The Inaugural Voyage is the first cruise with paying guests after the official naming ceremony/christening takes place.

These voyages are so that the Cruise Line can celebrate the new acquisition to their fleet. Much like a housewarming is held to celebrate someone's new home and a baby shower is held to celebrate someone's new child.

What I find interesting is that while nobody attending (as a guest) a housewarming would expect the new owners to give them a gift, nor does anyone attending a baby shower (as a guest) expect the new parents to give them a gift, some people seem to thing that they (as a guest) deserve a gift from the Cruise Line celebrating their new ship.

Seems like congratulations, good wishes, and gifts should be given to the owners of the new ship...not the other way around.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

^^^ not sure if you are trying to be funny or if you have got out of the wrong side of the bed today 🤷‍♀️ 

One doesn't pay to go to a house-warming or baby shower;  however, one does pay to go on a cruise ... and it would be a very nice gesture for the cruise company to give their paying guests a nice memento for being the first passengers onboard.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Inaugural cruises are seldom harmonious, trouble free events and best left to the ‘Jones’. Much prefer to take the cruise 6 months down the road when all the bugs have been resolved, an expensive gift would be appropriate to off set the hassle one has too endure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2019 at 8:50 PM, Beamafar said:

Something has just sprung to mind, LB.  IIRC, guests on the Meraviglia inaugural got free access to the Cirque de Soleil show (not Sonor ... it only opened a few days after we boarded).

It’s just been confirmed that Cirque de Soleil will not be onboard the maiden!  Shows don’t start till Genoa.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, little britain said:

I’ll answer my own question.... nothing....

...Or the other way round to see the picture: They do what they can...

Let us to see if I can make myself the most understandable in these few words: I can't understand why maiden voyages are so expensive as they are. Industry wise, and this is not an MSC specific thing, those first sailings are always amongst the most expensive ones in the year, but they are at the same time the most exceptionally prone to have several middle to big bugs evolving middle to high reputation risk events. Whom the heck would like to have those bugs on their holiday? Nobody of us.

TBHH: The unique way I see myself embarking on a ship less than 3 months in service would be if an exceptional deal appears upfront of me. Otherwise, no thanks!

For the ones interested on those sailings: Bear this in mind!

Dear little Britain: I've read your wonderful review in the other thread. Many thanks! Keep the good work coming! And have a wonderful end for your adventure!... 🙂

I can't understand the pricing on inaugural cruises, either, Nunagoras.  The first passengers onboard are guinea pigs for the cruise company to try their new product out on.  IIRC, people on board Meraviglia when we joined it for the tail end of her inaugural said that everything onboard was included for them to try out, including the Jean-Philippe venue.  Everything in the venue was for a charge after that.

• Like 1

Wife and I did inaugural cruise on RCCL's Allure of the Seas (The 2nd of the Oasis class) in 2010 and not only was it problem and stress-free, every night after dinner when we returned to our cabin, there'd be a new gift labeled as "Inaugural Cruise"....We got lanyards, hats, beach towels and I think even a terrycloth robe, if I remember right. We bagged it all up and put away in closet, figuring one day we'll take it out and maybe ebay it or something formsome crazy collectors.

Funny, this was first time I pulled the stuff out since the cruise (bagged it right away) and didn't realize the hat and lanyard says "Maiden Voyage" and the towel says "Inaugural Sailing"

There's some other stuff somewhere, a book I think and pretty sure a robe

But as to those thinking a maiden or inaugural cruise would be problematic, was the total opposite, the cruise was flawless

UzaWoh16Q3+FcP0IEGb72A_thumb_4dbf.jpg

Dear EnglceDave: Things have largely changed since 2010 on the whole industry! Some for the better... Many for the worst!...

Back then it was usual to have a pen and some note papers at our cabins desk. Today I'd be very happy if guests services happen to offer me one. This is just a little very small example on how the things have changed in the mainstream cruising in the last decade!... Am I nostalgic of the "good old days"? No. Am I missing some of the then classics? Surely!...

That said I'm not saying that all maiden voyages will be problematic. I'm saying that they are more prone to those larger bugs than the ones being offered once the ship is well established on its regular itinerary!...

Have a nice day!... 🙂

38 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Things have largely changed since 2010 on the whole industry! Some for the better... Many for the worst!...

Back then it was usual to have a pen and some note papers at our cabins desk. 🙂

There's always a pen and notepad supplied in MSC cabins in our experience, Nunagoras.

There's always a pen and notepad supplied in MSC cabins in our experience, Nunagoras.

There was not pen or paper on Bellissima but perhaps they hadn’t unpacked that box yet!!
I hear that the buffet table buzzers to order drinks have just started appearing, so they have unpacked that box lol!

e5baf3d85881f2f71069fcb0dfc5e599.jpg

One certificate not even personalised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, little britain said:

There was not pen or paper on Bellissima but perhaps they hadn’t unpacked that box yet!!
I hear that the buffet table buzzers to order drinks have just started appearing, so they have unpacked that box lol!

e5baf3d85881f2f71069fcb0dfc5e599.jpg

One certificate not even personalised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah ... but MSC recognises you as a valued guest  🙄

Thanks for the food list and prices for the pub, LB.  Prices are similar to what they were on Meraviglia almost 2 years ago.

On the subject of notepad and pen - I don't recall there being any on Meraviglia, either, in the early days.  I do remember being in YC on one ship (can't remember which) and asking the butler if they'd stopped supplying them, when he pointed out where they were in the cabin. 

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Yeah ... but MSC recognises you as a valued guest  🙄

Thanks for the food list and prices for the pub, LB.  Prices are similar to what they were on Meraviglia almost 2 years ago.

On the subject of notepad and pen - I don't recall there being any on Meraviglia, either, in the early days.  I do remember being in YC on one ship (can't remember which) and asking the butler if they'd stopped supplying them, when he pointed out where they were in the cabin. 

We did get a little sewing kit which I thought was very usefu!!!!

Managed to get the pub prices for you!

LBx

No photo description available.

Cheers, LB ... appreciate it!    We're on Meraviglia later in the year, so a lot of Bellissima's info will be similar.

I'm pretty sure I have one of the sewing kits you're talking about - I bought it in one of the logo shops once when I was bringing my onboard spend up to the multiple of €150 for Voyagers' Club points.

• 3 months later...

Hi Beamafar!!  I am seriously tempted to do the MSC Grandiosa, sailing from Hamburg for 3 nights.  I have seen it for £400 (without flights) for 2.  Is it worth doing considering my 10yr old will miss 3 days of school??!! 

I just hope we will receive the commemorative gift LB received on Belissimma!

Anyone else doing this sailing?

4 hours ago, panamapd said:

Hi Beamafar!!  I am seriously tempted to do the MSC Grandiosa, sailing from Hamburg for 3 nights.  I have seen it for £400 (without flights) for 2.  Is it worth doing considering my 10yr old will miss 3 days of school??!! 

Hi P!  Sounds like a great price!  I don't think MSC is great on the commemorative stuff, though.

How I miss the build-up to the launch of Meraviglia;  there's been nothing like it since (apart from Seaside, but it didn't seem like it at the time to me - though maybe that was because I had no interest in it.  We're on Seaview in August, so looking forward to experiencing a 'different' ship).

I imagined that I'd want to book the new ships soon after each launch, but that interest never materialised. I was very tempted to book Virtuosa next year but the itinerary is boring at this stage.  We need duty-free onboard to make it worth our while;  MSC did announce a couple of years ago that they were going to re-introduce Tunis to the itineraries (which would see the duty-free shop open), but, to date, that hasn't happened. 

12 hours ago, panamapd said:

Wow 😮 That’s a great price! I could only find it for £480 per person (balcony) so decided to skip it because of the hassle of flying out of Gatwick and then coming back to Southampton.