Problem making reservations in speciality restaurants

stanc3

At midnight I went on the website to make reservations for our February cruise to Cuba.  I am a diabetic and need the earlier reservations.  There were no reservations available in any restaurants until 8:30 or 9:00 which is too late for me to eat. When I called Oceania, the representative told me there was nothing she could do.  Also border line rude. This cruise is the 2nd week of a 3 week cruise and it looks like the 1st week passengers booked up the earlier times.  Unfortunately our travel agent is on vacation and that is why we called Oceania.

Any suggestions!

Once onboard  go to the reservations desk & ask if they have any early seatings  open

You may have to try daily each morning

if that fails

there  is always the Terrace  where you could grab something to tide you over  or room service

34 minutes ago, stanc3 said:

This cruise is the 2nd week of a 3 week cruise and it looks like the 1st week passengers booked up the earlier times

The passengers who have earlier choices of Specialty Restaurant Reservations are those who paid for more expensive cabins:

For All Vessels:
-Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may make reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.
Penthouse Suites may make reservations at 75 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.
Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may make reservations at 60 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.
Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations at 45 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

We tried to do just shared tables, not tables for 2.  We have been on Oceania before and never had a problem.  I know there are other dining options, but I was under the impression that every guest is guaranteed a reservation in a specialty restaurant.

The only time I’ve heard of this was on a back to back 17 day, port intensive  cruise, people on the seven day segment had limited choice of times.  Just too many people looking for early times.  Every sailing is different, passenger preferences vary.  We’ve always had good luck with early times, especially if we choose port days. 

Go to the restaurant deck the day you board.  They hold back a few reservations and will likely accommodate your need.  

4 hours ago, stanc3 said:

At midnight I went on the website to make reservations for our February cruise to Cuba.  I am a diabetic and need the earlier reservations.  There were no reservations available in any restaurants until 8:30 or 9:00 which is too late for me to eat. When I called Oceania, the representative told me there was nothing she could do.  Also border line rude. This cruise is the 2nd week of a 3 week cruise and it looks like the 1st week passengers booked up the earlier times.  Unfortunately our travel agent is on vacation and that is why we called Oceania.

Any suggestions!

I had the exact same experience for our Riviera cruise this month. Nothing except 830 or 9 and Jacques was completely full every night except one, and that was sharing a table! Definitely not my world, my way 🙄 I will let you know how it goes trying to get early times onboard after I return. 

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

if you explain your condition once aboard they will probably accommodate you in a sharing mode. Probably not on a non sharing.

This - I am pretty sure that they will try their very best to accommodate you b/o your medical need.

I agree that emphasizing your medical condition and need should give you extra consideration.

Do you have a TA?  That person could certainly assist you if so.

I read through all the earlier answers and saw where people suggested trying to book on board, but I didn't see anyone mentioning that they don't completely sell out with online bookings.  They hold back a certain number (I have no idea of what the percentage is) for people who don't book online.  My guess is that most passengers don't, but I certainly could be wrong with that assumption.  Older passengers (who seem to be in the majority on Oceania) often are not computer savvy.  Younger passengers, of course, are.

But just because you can't book online for the time you need does NOT mean you  won't be able to get a table once you board.  And if you are willing to share, even easier.

Don't assume because you couldn't get your time when booking online that you will NOT be able to get it.

Good luck. 

Mura

I was surprised also, today, to see everything booked except one 8:30 table at Polo. (We're on the Feb 17 Riviera cruise) I am in a Suite, so was able to do 2 6:30 tables a few weeks back, but to see nothing available, was surprising. We were able to get reservations on our June cruise, within the 45 day window. Absolutely will see what we can do on board as Toscana is a MUST for me..I need the oil and vinegars :classic_biggrin:

13 hours ago, Mura said:

I agree that emphasizing your medical condition and need should give you extra consideration.

I read through all the earlier answers and saw where people suggested trying to book on board, but I didn't see anyone mentioning that they don't completely sell out with online bookings.  They hold back a certain number (I have no idea of what the percentage is) for people who don't book online.  My guess is that most passengers don't, but I certainly could be wrong with that assumption.  Older passengers (who seem to be in the majority on Oceania) often are not computer savvy.  Younger passengers, of course, are.

But just because you can't book online for the time you need does NOT mean you  won't be able to get a table once you board.  And if you are willing to share, even easier.

Don't assume because you couldn't get your time when booking online that you will NOT be able to get it.

Good luck. 

Mura

Thanks Myra, that is encouraging! 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:00 PM, Mura said:

Good luck. 

Mura

Excellent advice!  For our recent cruise the 6:30 PM reservations were all booked when we went online within an hour after the reservation window opened.  TA can't help the next day when all the available spots are taken. 

I went to the reservation desk on Deck 5 around 1 PM once on board.  From what I saw there were at least 10-20% free reservation slots for high demand Sea Days.  For non Sea Days there were even more unreserved spots.  If the date and time you want are fully booked you can also ask to be wait listed.  Cancellation happens. I am pretty sure  you will be able to get the reservation you want.

Good luck

Laurence