Grand Heartland Cruise

ride4806

I am hoping you experienced ACL folks will be able to help us out, while we have taken numerous ocean cruise, the smallest line we have cruised on is Seabourn and it appears that this line is much smaller than that.  Right now we are planning to take the Grand Heartland Cruise on the America in August of 2018 and I am wondering if you can tell me what to expect from the excursions, food and the ship.  I also am hoping you can help us select a cabin  we are looking at categories  AAM or AAC and I am wondering what the differences are, beside the price, and if you could recommend a cabin that you found to be particularly great if you have already taken this cruise? Also any must see places before the cruise and great restaurants in St Paul would be wonderful!   Thanks so much for any help you can give us with this!

First, do not expect an ocean cruise out of a river cruise.  Options will be far more limited and the crew more generalist since space is at a premium.   Think of it as more a road trip where the hotel moves with you.  

Between AAM and AAC, AAM are on the 5th deck and slightly larger than the AAC on deck 4.  You'd also get a better view since you're higher than the flood walls.

• 1 month later...

My DH and I have been on the Queen of the Mississippi 2 times.  We are booked perhaps on the same cruise as you.  America on 8/24/2019.  

Most food is quite good.  You will be given a menu card at breakfast to choose what you wish to eat for lunch and dinner on that day.  You will have a choice of 1/2 entre if you wish to eat less (and not feel so guilty for having dessert).  If you change your mind later or cannot remember it's not a problem, they are just wanting an estimate of how much of each item to prepare so as not to waste to much food.  I try to remember to take my cell to breakfast and take a pic of our menu cards after filling them out.  Lunch and dinner both have beer and wine offered and sometimes people request a mixed drink or after dinner liqueur.   This is at no additional charge.   There is an hour long happy hour just prior to dinner at which is no additional cost.  If you want something that they do not have, they will probably have it after the next port. 

They will have talks about the area you are visiting.  There will be entertainment each evening, usually 1 - 4 people. Sometimes games in the afternoon with prizes (no additional charge). 

There will be at least 1 tour in each port that is included and sometimes 1 or more that has an upcharge. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, skrebelr said:

I am hoping you experienced ACL folks will be able to help us out, while we have taken numerous ocean cruise, the smallest line we have cruised on is Seabourn and it appears that this line is much smaller than that.  Right now we are planning to take the Grand Heartland Cruise on the America in August of 2018 and I am wondering if you can tell me what to expect from the excursions, food and the ship.  I also am hoping you can help us select a cabin  we are looking at categories  AAM or AAC and I am wondering what the differences are, beside the price, and if you could recommend a cabin that you found to be particularly great if you have already taken this cruise? Also any must see places before the cruise and great restaurants in St Paul would be wonderful!   Thanks so much for any help you can give us with this!

Please do write a review of your experience.  We have done a number of ACL cruises (in addition to quite a few ocean cruises), and are giving consideration to this particular itinerary.

Hope you find you ACL experience as enjoyable as we have found them to be.

NRayH

58 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

Please do write a review of your experience.  We have done a number of ACL cruises (in addition to quite a few ocean cruises), and are giving consideration to this particular itinerary.

Hope you find you ACL experience as enjoyable as we have found them to be.

NRayH

we ended up not taking this cruise and  will probably do it in another year or so, I broke my foot so we had to put it off.  My DH  will be retiring at the end of this upcoming year so we will have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves on multiple trips per year and this is one that is one of the first we will be looking at along with a long one to Australia!