Traveling with 18 prescriptions

Cyn874

Hi there, 

I'm going to be traveling with my family in a few months, and we're trying to figure out the best way for my Dad to bring his medication. He has 18 different prescriptions, so that would be a lot of bottles to bring if they have to be in the original pill container with labels. Is that necessary, or can he bring them in something else as long as he has a list of his medications from his doctor?

Some of these are medicine for his diabetes but also pain pills.

I'm asking about flying and going through airport security as well as bringing on the ship, since they will have different security checks and possibly different rules. We are not flying international, if it matters- just from Nevada to California, sailing from California to Hawaii plus one stop in Ensenada, Mexico.

Edited by Cyn874

We have our pharmacist put each Rx in the smallest bottle (even if the regular supply was for longer; we just take what we need, plus ~ an extra week's supply), with the proper pharmacy label.

And we have copies of the signed scripts.

For anything controlled or injectable, we also have a signed letter from a physician stating the name of the med/amount/timing, plus the fact that it is necessary for medical care, or similar terminology.

In OP's case, there is foreign travel, to Mexico.

We'd just be extra cautious every time we cross borders, although we take the above supplies whenever flying within the USA, too.

For foreign countries, we double check (online access is usually good) if there are any drug restrictions or special permissions needed.  Thus far, Japan has been the most restrictive, but even then, it was all done very quickly by email.  [Note: As of 2017, the "instructions" still started by specifying "mail", but there is email, and docs can be attached as pdf's.]

Sometimes there are surprises, in that meds that are OTC in the USA are not even allowed in a particular foreign country.  Or the quantities allowed are quite limited (or special permission would be needed).

Better safe than sorry, with some of the problems that other travelers have encountered when not prepared.

GC

I use the weekly pill boxes. However, I have a detailed list of my prescriptions including the number, the applicable pill names, dosage, my doctors name and the druggist. Also carry an itemized list (check off list) of all my medical devices and/or needs. If you require a bag (in my case, a carry-on), it is free. I also have a “travel letter” from my doctor.

A couple years ago, I was involved in an accident, thus ended up in a hospital. The ship's dispensary, both hospitals (Grenada & Fort Lauderdale), and the nursing home all complimented and thanked me on my documentation.

Also, if any of the medications fall into the “liquid” class, they have to go in the little baggie for their scanning through security, thus I pre-pack in the baggie making it easy to just take them out of the case and send through.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• Thanks 1

Just a tip -- if you use the weekly pill containers (DH does), take a photo of all of the labels.  No paper to carry around and you have the information available should you need it (unless you've memorized all of the drug names and dosages).

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! Also, is most of this mostly applicable to cruise line security, or TSA at the airport, also? I'm imagining TSA at the airport will be much more strict than the cruiseline but I really have no idea. We're afraid 18 bottles (even if put in smaller bottles from the pharmacy) will take up too much room so we're hoping a list/note from the doctor will suffice, with the exception of the pain pills. But we also don't want to get caught up with a grumpy TSA agent who is having a bad day and won't let him travel with all his medicine.

4 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

Thanks, everyone! Also, is most of this mostly applicable to cruise line security, or TSA at the airport, also? I'm imagining TSA at the airport will be much more strict than the cruiseline but I really have no idea. We're afraid 18 bottles (even if put in smaller bottles from the pharmacy) will take up too much room so we're hoping a list/note from the doctor will suffice, with the exception of the pain pills. But we also don't want to get caught up with a grumpy TSA agent who is having a bad day and won't let him travel with all his medicine.

The TSA isn't ordinarily interested in your meds, unless they are liquids (in quantity) or a dog sniffs some sort of 'interesting' odor...

Ditto the cruise line.

They are security concerned, not DEA.

Our main concern is crossing any borders, and some countries are surprisingly strict, or with surprisingly specific regulations.

So we always have very clear documentation, in addition to any pre-approvals needed.

As for TSA, some time ago, when the TSA screening was just getting "serious", I was called aside and they wanted to search my carry on.  I had no objection, but not in public.  So I was taken to a private room, and two female agents stayed there the entire time (never just one of them and me).  They rifled through EVERYTHING, and most of it ended up dumped on a table.  Ugh.

I think I annoyed them by wanting to put things back in with some semblance of order.

But what I found most interesting was that all of the assorted meds, in various sizes/shapes of containers, were mostly just tossed aside.  The agents showed zero interest in them .  So I have no idea what they were "looking for" or if it was truly random, vs. my fitting some sort of "profile".

But they never opened a single container or even asked me a single question about any of it.

And yes, indeed... using even the small pharmacy bottles... it all takes up far too much space!

Ugh.

GC

• Thanks 1

I take at least 18 prescriptions and take only pain medications in the original bottles. First, because I don't take them every day and because they are controlled substances. All the rest of my pills are in week packs. I bring enough packs to last the length of the cruise plus a week. I have only flown into one country where I had to leave my pills in the original container. We flew to Australia two years ago and all my pills were checked. I also take a list of my pills with both the generic and trade names listed as well as the amounts per dose and how often it is to be taken. My doctor signs this list.

4 minutes ago, katisdale said:

I take at least 18 prescriptions and take only pain medications in the original bottles. First, because I don't take them every day and because they are controlled substances. All the rest of my pills are in week packs. I bring enough packs to last the length of the cruise plus a week. I have only flown into one country where I had to leave my pills in the original container. We flew to Australia two years ago and all my pills were checked. I also take a list of my pills with both the generic and trade names listed as well as the amounts per dose and how often it is to be taken. My doctor signs this list.

Interesting that they did actually check your meds upon entering Australia.

After all the pre-approvals we needed  for Japan (most were not controlled substances, but there were quantity limits, and we were traveling on more after departing Japan), we were surprised that no one really seemed to care.

We did stop at the little window before exiting the arrivals area at the airport, and they made note of our documents.

However, when we were leaving, we were supposed to give "exit" documentation (all pre-authorized), and we had serious difficulty finding where to do that.

Because we did hope to return, we did *not* want to find out at some awkward later point that they had not been able to "match up" our exit docs with our entry docs.  (We aren't sure whether they ever try to match them, or only in some cases, or what, but in foreign countries, some with severe drug laws, we want to dot all the i's and cross all the t's, etc.!)

GC

I put most of my prescriptions in a med book like the one below. (Since I only take my meds twice a day, I can put two weeks of medications in one book.)  I print out a detailed medical history and spreadsheet of my prescriptions, what they are for, who prescribes them, dose and how often I take them. That goes into the side pocket of the book. I keep any controlled prescriptions (anything that requires a paper script to fill) in their original bottles. Finally, I have the Walgreens app on my phone so that I can access, and show my prescription records any time. I've never had an issue, or been questioned at all. As others have mentioned, I always travel with an extra week of prescriptions "just in case."

On a side note: some have mentioned extra bags on flights. If a bag contains ONLY prescriptions or medical equipment, it does not count towards your allowed number of bags, and can be taken for no additional charge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCZKFWK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

PLEASE do take the prescriptions in original containers. Ask the pharmacist for small containers with printed labels on them. I have seen this question posted elsewhere numerous times. I have read many responses by people who said they had no trouble bringing their prescriptions in just pill organizers or the like. Well I can tell you from numerous experiences that my son & I are often taken aside to have our prescriptions checked individually & that's even with them being in their original containers & properly labeled. Is it possible that you will not have an issue? Of course, but I sure wouldn't take the chance.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:28 PM, Cyn874 said:

Yes, 18 containers do take up quite a bit of space, but they are allowed to be carried on without it counting as luggage. Fortunately my son & I are down to about 20 meds now, but it used to be a lot worse in the past so I do know what a pain it is. 

Unfortunately although we have fewer meds between us now, we have to travel with medical supplied=s thatwe didn't have to in the past. Ugh

• Like 1

I used to travel with way more than 18, including some potent opioids andaruoyrefere to as a “date rape” drug.

but as that was always on a cruise they never got taken off in port so never had an issue.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:31 AM, raindropsalways said:

I use the weekly pill boxes. However, I have a detailed list of my prescriptions including the number, the applicable pill names, dosage, my doctors name and the druggist. Also carry an itemized list (check off list) of all my medical devices and/or needs. If you require a bag (in my case, a carry-on), it is free. I also have a “travel letter” from my doctor.

A couple years ago, I was involved in an accident, thus ended up in a hospital. The ship's dispensary, both hospitals (Grenada & Fort Lauderdale), and the nursing home all complimented and thanked me on my documentation.

Also, if any of the medications fall into the “liquid” class, they have to go in the little baggie for their scanning through security, thus I pre-pack in the baggie making it easy to just take them out of the case and send through.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

My son has many liquid meds. They are not part of the restrictions for liquids so there is no need to put them in a baggie.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Cyn874 said:

How big are those bottles!!!!!!  My wife carries about the same amount of medications and I have never had an issue with room.  We travel all over the world.  Just put all the bottles into a plastic baggie, and put it in your back pack, along with the other small things you need while traveling on a plane. 

Travel rules state that they should be in bottles.  Many people put in pill cases.  Personally, I never care or ask if someone made it through because I'm going to be that person that gets questioned. 

The cruise line does not care.  TSA is just security and they are looking for "drugs" that are not prescribed.  Immigration into other countries is another story.  So pack according to the recommended rules, and have no worries.

• 2 weeks later...

My pharmacy gives me a printout listing the meds, dosage, prescription number and prescribing doctor.  I take a 2 week supply in a special case!  I also have a letter listing my conditions--just in case they are needed.  I also use my personal scooter and bring my walker for in room use.

When we cruised on Carnival, we brought original prescriptions of all controlled substance medications, including narcotics, but for other medications just took a photo of the bottle on my phone to make sure that we had all the pertinent information if it was needed. For the record, nothing was checked at all and we had no problems with prescriptions whatsoever. Was actually a bit amused to see tramadol offered OTC in Cozumel, as it's an Rx here in the states.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:33 PM, Bluemoon319 said:

Yes, 18 containers do take up quite a bit of space, but they are allowed to be carried on without it counting as luggage.

Ok, now we're thinking about putting all the medications between my parents in one bag because I've heard a couple of times about this counting as 'medical' and not counting towards luggage, as you said. Are you talking about as a carry on? For instance, can my Dad bring one bag of all medication PLUS his carry on bag? Is this something we have to arrange through the airline ahead of time, such as forms or calling the airline, or do we just show up with it? I'm not sure what is involved.

I have a mother-in-law that has 18 pills a day and she gets her pharmacist to put in "blister pacs". This is because it helps her remember what to take at which time. On the back of the "pack" it has her info and all the prescription names. This is how she takes her meds regularly and is how she travels with no problem. (Air, Sea, Border, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

I traveled in the caribbean for a few weeks and was reminded by my pulmonologist to also record the settings for my cpap in case i was separated from it and needed medical attention...i had never thought of that and could not have come up with that info off the top of my head... 

• 1 month later...

Between my husband and I, we have more than 18. our bottles could fill a backpack. We jus take pictures on our camera of each pill, it‘s decription( they have them on a website called pill identifier). We then combine all of our respective pills for the cruse( plus 5 extra pills per prescription, into one large container for each of us. We travel frequently, both in the US and internationally in Europe, and we have never been asked about our pills, which we each keep in our own backpack and carry on. Not once.

• Like 1