Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
klmxt4

Train from FLL to MIA? Pros/Cons?

Recommended Posts

We are cruising out of Miami, but flying into FLL (using our Southwest points, which only flies into FLL). We are trying to cut down as much transportation cost as we can, and I saw that you can ride the train from FLL to Miami International Airport for $5 each (it will be a Sunday). So I am thinking we do that, then get a hotel in Miami that offers a free shuttle from MIA. And then the next day just take an Uber or something to the cruise port, since we will be pretty close. Anybody tried this before? I'd love to save $40+ getting from FLL to Miami, but if it's just an awful experience, that will be good to know. We ride the L trains in Chicago all the time, so we're used to public trains, subways, etc, in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, klmxt4 said:

We are cruising out of Miami, but flying into FLL (using our Southwest points, which only flies into FLL). We are trying to cut down as much transportation cost as we can, and I saw that you can ride the train from FLL to Miami International Airport for $5 each (it will be a Sunday). So I am thinking we do that, then get a hotel in Miami that offers a free shuttle from MIA. And then the next day just take an Uber or something to the cruise port, since we will be pretty close. Anybody tried this before? I'd love to save $40+ getting from FLL to Miami, but if it's just an awful experience, that will be good to know. We ride the L trains in Chicago all the time, so we're used to public trains, subways, etc, in general.

 

I would think the biggest issue is going to be suitcases.  Don't know if this is a commuter type train, or designed for tourists/travelers and has a rack to stow your luggage.

 

Roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use the Tri-Rail frequently.  Also, because we usually fly on SW on points and they offer the most service at the best prices into FLL (They don't fly into MIA, at all) .  The Tri-Rail train runs from MIA in the south up to as far as Magnolia Park to the north, so even if we're going to the Palm Beach area, we fly into FLL and take the Tri-Rail.  It's a little bit of a hassle, but if you have time and  saving $$$ is the name of the game, it's the way to go.  You have to take a shuttle from FLL airport to the train station (it's complementary).  You may have to wait a bit for the shuttle and again for the train.  Take the train to MIA and then your hotel shuttle from  the MIA airport. We usually only have "carry on"...that makes it a little less of a hassle.  It's not "awful", but with schlepping luggage and waiting it's not the most convenient, easiest or quickest option, but it certainly is doable and like I said, if saving $$$$ is the name of the game, it's the way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not the OP, but thank you Marco for sharing that information.  It's very helpful.

 

Roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's good to know that others use that system! We are definitely all about saving money, when we can, without sacrificing too much in opportunity costs. And we will have plenty of time both there and back (flying in the day before, flying out late afternoon after the ship docks), so I don't think we'll mind waiting for a shuttle. This may very well end up being what we use! Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No thanks. Uber or other shared shuttles are very reasonably priced and convenient. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, klmxt4 said:

We are cruising out of Miami, but flying into FLL (using our Southwest points, which only flies into FLL). We are trying to cut down as much transportation cost as we can, and I saw that you can ride the train from FLL to Miami International Airport for $5 each (it will be a Sunday). So I am thinking we do that, then get a hotel in Miami that offers a free shuttle from MIA. And then the next day just take an Uber or something to the cruise port, since we will be pretty close. Anybody tried this before? I'd love to save $40+ getting from FLL to Miami, but if it's just an awful experience, that will be good to know. We ride the L trains in Chicago all the time, so we're used to public trains, subways, etc, in general.

 

Hi

 

Welcome to cruise critic. 

If you look on the "North American (Florida) homeports threads, you can get many other ideas.

 

Here is one thought. Since you are specifically looking at total cost (this suggestion could also be more convenient), have you compared the prices of the hotels in the FLL area to the prices in Miami? Many will have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, some with included breakfast. If the Fort Lauderdale hotel was a better price, you might consider staying there instead and taking one of the shuttle services that will transport you from the FLL area hotels to the Port of Miami for $15 each. The trip is about 45 min.  

 

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

 

Hi

 

Welcome to cruise critic. 

If you look on the "North American (Florida) homeports threads, you can get many other ideas.

 

Here is one thought. Since you are specifically looking at total cost (this suggestion could also be more convenient), have you compared the prices of the hotels in the FLL area to the prices in Miami? Many will have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, some with included breakfast. If the Fort Lauderdale hotel was a better price, you might consider staying there instead and taking one of the shuttle services that will transport you from the FLL area hotels to the Port of Miami for $15 each. The trip is about 45 min.  

 

hope this helps

have a great cruise

 

I agree that FLL hotel might be an option, but I think the shuttle to the Port of Miami from a FLL hotel is closer to $25 per person minimum not $15.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

 

I agree that FLL hotel might be an option, but I think the shuttle to the Port of Miami from a FLL hotel is closer to $25 per person minimum not $15.  

Not sure the service Nic6318 was referencing but SAS is $15.00 p/p each way cash.. If you have more than 4 people in your party than the rate drops to $13.00 p/p each way cash. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

 

I agree that FLL hotel might be an option, but I think the shuttle to the Port of Miami from a FLL hotel is closer to $25 per person minimum not $15.  

Hi

 

MJS transport is $15 p/p. they are very reliable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree...most economical would be a hotel near FLL and then a shuttle (like SAS) directly to the ship in Miami.

Anything else would be more expensive and time consuming.

 

As an aside: The new Brightline (now Virgin Trains) is in operation...fast, clean, between Ft Lauderdale and Miami.  Problem is...you would need to Uber or taxi from FLL to the Ft Lauderdale station and then Uber or taxi again from the Miami station to the ship.  Plus the train fare is much higher than the Tri Rail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know!   Last time I checked I used a different company. SAS told me that they did not service Miami airport.  I was trying to do reverse - fly into Miami and sail from FLL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Good to know!   Last time I checked I used a different company. SAS told me that they did not service Miami airport.  I was trying to do reverse - fly into Miami and sail from FLL. 

You are correct, they don't. FLL airport and hotels to POM and back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I think we might just do an Uber from FLL to a hotel on the beach in Miami, then Uber to the port the next day. The Uber estimate is about $40 for all 4 of us. Not sure what it will be from the hotel to the port, but probably $10-15? The Tri Rail is definitely cheaper, but I think this will be lot less hassle and time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, klmxt4 said:

We are cruising out of Miami, but flying into FLL (using our Southwest points, which only flies into FLL). We are trying to cut down as much transportation cost as we can, and I saw that you can ride the train from FLL to Miami International Airport for $5 each (it will be a Sunday). So I am thinking we do that, then get a hotel in Miami that offers a free shuttle from MIA. And then the next day just take an Uber or something to the cruise port, since we will be pretty close. Anybody tried this before? I'd love to save $40+ getting from FLL to Miami, but if it's just an awful experience, that will be good to know. We ride the L trains in Chicago all the time, so we're used to public trains, subways, etc, in general.

$40???

Ever heard the term "pennywise and pound foolish?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

$40???

Ever heard the term "pennywise and pound foolish?"

I’ve also heard “A penny earned is a penny saved.” Or a penny I can use on my cruise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, klmxt4 said:

I’ve also heard “A penny earned is a penny saved.” Or a penny I can use on my cruise...

I'm betting you've already figured out that what you are suggesting would be a terrible experience when luggage is involved.

As for hotels, check out something like the Blur Moon in South Beach. No shuttles but a reasonably priced Marriott Autograph Collection hotel That would be a great start to a cruise vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...