Mini Suite with Kids

CruisinEA

We're booked in a Mini-Suite this summer, it's me, my husband and our 2 kids - 3.5 and 2. I (think I) understand that the typical mini-suite set up for 4 passengers is a queen (or twins) and then the couch pulls out as well as a ceiling twin for the 3rd and 4th passengers. My question is - having never seen one of the couches pulled out in person - can 2 young kids fit on a pull out couch in a mini suite (thus removing the need for the ceiling bed)?

Ideally, we could fit both of them on the couch (although, knowing my kids, I'll end up on the pull out couch with the 2 year old and the 3.5 year old will get the bed with my husband). Does this sound do-able? Or am I going to have to cross my fingers all week that my 3.5 year old doesn't fall out of the upper bunk?

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Here is a video of a mini-suite on the Golden with the sofa bed open.  Looks like a double bed.  It should be just fine.  

Golden Princess Cabin D306

They used to be a queen bed when they opened up. I don't think they are anymore. It may depend on the ship. I have seen them both ways.

After saying that - I am sure 2 small kids will fit in the twin bed fine.

Edited by Coral

14 hours ago, CruisinEA said:

We're booked in a Mini-Suite this summer, it's me, my husband and our 2 kids - 3.5 and 2. I (think I) understand that the typical mini-suite set up for 4 passengers is a queen (or twins) and then the couch pulls out as well as a ceiling twin for the 3rd and 4th passengers. My question is - having never seen one of the couches pulled out in person - can 2 young kids fit on a pull out couch in a mini suite (thus removing the need for the ceiling bed)?

Ideally, we could fit both of them on the couch (although, knowing my kids, I'll end up on the pull out couch with the 2 year old and the 3.5 year old will get the bed with my husband). Does this sound do-able? Or am I going to have to cross my fingers all week that my 3.5 year old doesn't fall out of the upper bunk?

Thanks!

Depends on the ship.   Which ship are you on?

Older Grand class have the pull out longer bed -almost a double. That one is good for two kids.  

Newer Royal and Regal have the sofa that flips out into a single.  Maybe the kids would fit foot to foot but it would be tight if they are tall. 

Both situations leave the issue of the kids falling off the bed.  No way to use pillows on the single.  On the double you may be able to use pillows as a barricade.  

We cruised with our two in mini's starting when they were 3 and 5.   (Hence the "cruisintoddler" screen name - they are now 16 & 18 )

We used to bring along portable travel folding bed rails.  They slip under the mattress. 

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-First-Portable-Bedrail-Compact/dp/B002KO7E8U

The only other thing I can suggest is that you ask the steward to close the bed up, move the table & chair somewhere away so the don't hit heads n them, and set up the mattress on the floor.  That way if the kids roll off its no big deal.  

Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by cruisintoddler

14 hours ago, CruisinEA said:

Thanks!

We had our three under 5 grandchildren in a mini suite on the Regal.

DSC_3157

The two and a half year old sleeping in a bed the first time rolled out, landed on pillows placed on the floor and never woke up

She spent the night sleeping on the floor

Rolled out of bed and never woke up_3155

Their Cabin _3147

Their cabin

Their Cabin _3147

Our cabin

Our Cabin_2296

Howard

Edited by hm9912