Alcohol

shipsahoy54

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  

You are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of 750 mm wine per cabin.  Other wine can be bought on board, but you will have to pay a corkage fee per additional bottle, other types of alcohol is not allowed.   Whatever else you might want to bring onboard, is subject to holding until the end of your cruise. 

wine 

8 minutes ago, Valiamo said:

You are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of 750 mm wine per cabin.  Other wine can be bought on board, but you will have to pay a corkage fee per additional bottle, other types of alcohol is not allowed.   Whatever else you might want to bring onboard, is subject to holding until the end of your cruise. 

Not entirely true. Alcohol purchased in ports of call will be "held for your safekeeping" until the final night of the cruise.

But any alcohol found packed in checked baggage on embarkation day--which is what I presume the award-winningly glib opening post was asking about--will be confiscated and not returned. When you print your luggage tags they will state that the allowable wine must be in your carry-on only.

From the FAQs:

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Edited by fishywood
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Not entirely true. Alcohol purchased in ports of call will be "held for your safekeeping" until the final night of the cruise.

I have seen it both ways, run runners confiscated, and duty free bottles held until the end.  

6 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

Some people do, some don't. 

Some people do what? Sneak on alcohol? Use larger font? On my PC you can not take your fingers and enlarge the font.

My goal is to always provide the best accurate information. I don't always succeed, but it is always my goal.

Edited by skynight
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

Some people do what? Sneak on alcohol? Use larger font? On my PC you can not take your fingers and enlarge the font.

My goal is to always provide the best accurate information. I don't always succeed, but it is always my goal.

Both.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Desert Kitty said:

I wouldn't risk it, but you can pre-order a 375 ml bottle of your choice to be delivered to your room. I bring my own mixers and can get about 8 drinks from one bottle.

Penny

Not much risk involved. The difference being that your own bottle is 1/4 or less than the price they charge on the ship & you can bring what you want, not what they stock.

• Like 1

This is ALWAYS such a hot topic! I love reading the responses!  Do what you want, if you get caught, oh well. We have been on many cruise lines, never been taken to the naughty room. And if that happens, oh well, not the end of the world. I agree, my "smuggled" cost is 1/4 the price so I'm willing to take the chance. 

• Like 2

Is the price for pre-ordering alcohol the same as ordering it onboard?

On 1/19/2019 at 6:58 PM, Desert Kitty said:

I wouldn't risk it, but you can pre-order a 375 ml bottle of your choice to be delivered to your room. I bring my own mixers and can get about 8 drinks from one bottle.

Penny

10 minutes ago, bbmeekhof said:

Is the price for pre-ordering alcohol the same as ordering it onboard?

No, I found it cheaper to order ahead. It's more than it would cost to sneak it on like some have suggested, but wine and bubbly are the only liquor Princess allows you to bring. For the gin I paid $17/ 375 ml.$2 and change for a gin/tonic bringing my own tonic from off the ship,  a little more for the Bombay Sapphire. Room service on board is very overpriced.

Penny

If you are from the US then the small bottles you can buy onboard are approximately twice the cost of liquor on shore. If you are from Canada the cost is pretty much what you would pay at home.

• Like 2

Just now, Desert Kitty said:

No, I found it cheaper to order ahead. It's more than it would cost to sneak it on like some have suggested, but wine and bubbly are the only liquor Princess allows you to bring. For the gin I paid $17/ 375 ml.$2 and change for a gin/tonic bringing my own tonic from off the ship,  a little more for the Bombay Sapphire. Room service on board is very overpriced.

Penny

For $17 you can purchase a 750 ml bottle most anywhere on shore & bring it on your self.

Even cheaper at St Thomas.

14 hours ago, jeanandmark said:

This is ALWAYS such a hot topic! I love reading the responses!  Do what you want, if you get caught, oh well. We have been on many cruise lines, never been taken to the naughty room. And if that happens, oh well, not the end of the world. I agree, my "smuggled" cost is 1/4 the price so I'm willing to take the chance. 

Agreed a very hot topic on these boards and I do love some of the responses.  One can smuggle on anything they want but if they get caught, they need to own up to it and get over it.  I have never been called to the naughty room but would not have a problem going if I had brought some kind of contraband.  I have been confining my intake to wine since it is so easy to bring aboard. 

I frequently use rum runners. 

The name or brand isn't important, it's the bag that shows as a solid instead of a liquid that makes the difference.  

We're not huge drinkers, sometimes we finish the bottles of wine we've brought, sometimes we don't.  Sometimes I'll break into the rum runners, sometimes they live in my shoes (where they were "smuggled" in).  

I'm not uncomfortable if I'd ever be called to the naughty room.  It's a change I choose to take.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 12:17 AM, Valiamo said:

The Princess policy is NOT 2 750ml bottles per cabin ... Princess permits 1bottle per each guest age 21 or more, without corkage fee, for in-cabin consumption.  

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

The Princess policy is NOT 2 750ml bottles per cabin ... Princess permits 1bottle per each guest age 21 or more, without corkage fee, for in-cabin consumption.  

True but most cabins have only two adults in them along with children sometimes.  

41 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

True but most cabins have only two adults in them along with children sometimes.  

And sone people sail solo, or perhaps one adult with one or more minors.

In any event, I felt it important to clarify so as to reduce confusion, psrticularly for Princess newbies.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:49 AM, TracieABD said:

I have heard of plenty of people being called to the naughty room for what appeared to be smuggling... It seems as if some sailings, the Princess security team is super vigilant.

In almost 40 cruises, I've been to the naughty room only once - on a Celebrity ship. They weren't worried about any grog only a pair of hair-dressing scissors and a knife:classic_blink:! After much arguing they let me keep the scissors (decided it was under the allowed length) but kept the knife even though it had a rounded tip.

Brian