Alcohol

shipsahoy54

We have brought onboard a 6 pack of local beer at some of the ports of call.  Have asked security if ok and have always been told sure.  We just bring it in the store bag and put through the scanner when reboarding with no problem. Last few cruises have booked under sip and sail promo so haven't done lately

Would you smuggle drinks from home into your favorite restaurant?  Have you ever seen someone pouring more drink into their glass at a restaurant table?  What did you think when you saw that?  What's the difference?  I just think it is odd for someone to boast about their smuggling prowess as if being a sneak is a source of pride.  Just saying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, pms4104 said:

The Princess policy is NOT 2 750ml bottles per cabin ... Princess permits 1bottle per each guest age 21 or more, without corkage fee, for in-cabin consumption.  

Thanks for telling me what it is NOT.....

Basically with most "average" cruisers there are 2 adults in a cabin. If you were to bring two bottles to the front (notwithstanding how many in your cabin) they will not bat an eye.  

PS I am grumpy today, and your message was taken the wrong way.   I am 5 hours away from catching 15 hours of flights to get somewhere warm and on my next cruise.   Any cruise, anywhere is a great cruise. 

Edited by Valiamo

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Would you smuggle drinks from home into your favorite restaurant?  Have you ever seen someone pouring more drink into their glass at a restaurant table?  What did you think when you saw that?  What's the difference?  I just think it is odd for someone to boast about their smuggling prowess as if being a sneak is a source of pride.  Just saying.

No, but we often do bring or buy bottles for our hotel room when staying in land based hotels. We usually enjoy having a drink in our room or on our balcony pre-dinner and don't see any point in paying exorbitant resort prices when we can buy an entire bottle for the price of two or three drinks. That doesn't mean that we don't drink at the resorts or hotels, we just like to bring our own as well. Interestingly enough, they don't scan our bags at check in or tell us we can't bring the bottles in because they have a bar and restaurant on their property.

That being said, we don't smuggle alcohol onboard. It just seems like too much fuss and bother for too little savings.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel A said:

Princess has no problem with screwing the people over with the coffee cards so why should I have any problem feeling the same way. 

Oh btw, the alcohol collection point at any of the islands this week has been feeble at best. Bring on anything you like & take it directly to your room to enjoy. No one looks at your twice.  At embarkation {early} there was no one at the wine check in table either. 

Just saying. :classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 8:29 PM, bvm49 said:

In almost 40 cruises, I've been to the naughty room only once - on a Celebrity ship. They weren't worried about any grog only a pair of hair-dressing scissors and a knife:classic_blink:! After much arguing they let me keep the scissors (decided it was under the allowed length) but kept the knife even though it had a rounded tip.

Brian

And then you go for dinner and order a steak complete with a steak knife that is twice the size of the one you tried to "SMUGGLE" on board.:classic_huh:

Theo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Renmar said:

And then you go for dinner and order a steak complete with a steak knife that is twice the size of the one you tried to "SMUGGLE" on board.:classic_huh:

Theo

Theo, yes I told him I could steal a steak knife with a sharp point from the MDR and he tried to tell me they count them:classic_rolleyes:!

Before that incident on RCL, Princess never worried about my knife. Although I was surprised later on a Princess cruise from Southampton to be called back off the ship at embarkation as British Customs had found my knife. This time I lost it altogether!

So now no more knifes but I still bring my hair-dressing scissors:classic_wink:.

Brian  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Princess has no problem with screwing the people over with the coffee cards so why should I have any problem feeling the same way. 

Oh btw, the alcohol collection point at any of the islands this week has been feeble at best. Bring on anything you like & take it directly to your room to enjoy. No one looks at your twice.  At embarkation {early} there was no one at the wine check in table either. 

Just saying. :classic_rolleyes:

lol :classic_laugh:   I'll b.... I'll be sure to convey your sentiments on the one off chance I end up in the "naughty room "

As long as the cruise lines continue to  charge exorbitant prices for alcohol, and prohibit any effort by passengers to escape the rigged game, people will look for workarounds.

I swear, I think when the bean counters in the head office see the lines of people coming aboard, they look at us the same way the grizzly's look at the spawning salmon swimming upstream.....YUM!

• Haha 1

I do not drink Alcohol when on vacations but for those who do it is very easy to bring on the ships and many people do. The checks really only pick up the people who do not try to hide it. Clear Alcohol can be put in water bottles and no one knows anything. 

Have you ever heard of any cruise line opening wine bottles? Very easy to place anything you want in a wine bottle and reseal the bottle. If drugs can make it through the security and customs departments at airports, then getting things like Alcohol on cruise ships is not hard for those who really want to try. 

Again I do not have any horse in his game, so I really do not care what the  alcohol prices are because it has no effect upon me. 

After 40 some cruises I have never been called to the naughty room or had anything removed from my checked luggage.  I have smuggled liquor onboard in the past but have not done so much recently.  The liquor check table is not always present when returning to the ship and there seems to be an honor system in stopping by there.  The same goes when initially boarding the ship with no liquor or wine table in the terminal sometimes.  On one cruise a few years ago, I succumbed to buying a bottle of my favorite gin at a port duty free store and was able to carry it aboard and to my cabin as there was no collection table present.  You can bring all the 750 ml bottles aboard but have to pay the $15 fee.  

Just now, c-boy said:

lol :classic_laugh:   I'll b.... I'll be sure to convey your sentiments on the one off chance I end up in the "naughty room "

We've been cruising Princess since 19?? and have yet to have any liquor been confiscated.

I must be doing something different. LOL :classic_biggrin:

There are just so many ways to hide it that it's practically impossible to do a thorough scan on every person unless you just blatantly throw a bottle in your suitcase and not try to disguise it. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1