Question about Booking Dolphin Encounter through Royal Caribbean

reality800

We will be in the Bahamas in February and I wanted to book the dolphin encounter. We will only be on the island from 1-7 and I was wondering if anyone has booked this excursion through royal caribbean and what time does it take place? I was also wondering if I could book the observere through the cruiseline or if I could only book that through the discovery dolphin place? Also if anyone has done the observer do they allow you to take video cameras in? Thank for any help.

I have booked the Dolphin encounter through RCCL because of the tight schedule in port. I realize I could have saved a few bucks going direct but as you point out you are only in port from 1-7. We have friends on the Navigator who will be doing the 3.30 slot and as the tour is 3 hours you have not long to get back to the ship hence the reason for doing it through the ship. We are there with Explorer 12.30 to 6.30 and we are doing the 1.30 slot, and again because of the short time in port we feel safer going through the ship with their transportation included. As for the observor I don't know about video cameras. Perhaps an e mail to info@dolphinencounters.com might answer your question or go to www.dolphinencounters.com RCCL does not offer the observor tour.

Because of the 1-7 in port times I called and e-mailed Dolphin Encounter. No response from the e-mail. On the phone they only had an 8:30 and 10:30 am slot for the Dolphin Swim, so because we wouldnt be in port then I booked a 1:30pm Swim with Shoretrips.com.Hop everything works ok this way, but found that this was my only option.:rolleyes:

Because of the 1-7 in port times I called and e-mailed Dolphin Encounter. No response from the e-mail. On the phone they only had an 8:30 and 10:30 am slot for the Dolphin Swim, so because we wouldnt be in port then I booked a 1:30pm Swim with Shoretrips.com.Hop everything works ok this way, but found that this was my only option.:rolleyes:

I would recommend that you somehow follow up with shoretrips.com. I don't know that they would somehow have timeslots that the tour themselves don't have available. I wasn't aware that Shoretrips prebooks timeslots.

I'd check this out. Hope is works out as you planned.

I am with Scubagirrl on this one. My wife has her heart set on meeting the Dolphins and I researched this thoroughly and as far as I know Shoretrips.com take your booking as agents for Dolphin encounters and collects a commission. They in turn have to book it with Diolphin Encounters. On the other hand Royal Caribbean are given so many spaces by Dolphin Encounters and once they are gone Royal will be full. This is why I booked with Royal caribbean to make absolutely sure of getting everything right, but it is your call. As Scubagirrl says keep on top of your trip and make sure you have your tickets and confirmation. By the way Dolphin Encounters do take a while to get back to you by e mail. Also remember you only get into port at 1.pm. You have to get off the ship and make your way to Paradise ferry. RCCL don't do the 1.30 trip on this sailing because of the time. They have space for the 3.30. I know this because I have a freind booked with the Navigator. We are doing the 1.30 but then we get in at 12.30. Hope this helps

Just a heads up guys, I tried booking the Dolphin Encounter with them directly. I faxed them their forms with credit card information, it cost me $5.00 per page (two pages). The form reads that you will be emailed a confirmation. I finally get an email from them telling me that they will not take my reservation as I will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. On their website it reads that they will not take reservations when the AOS is in port on Wednesday. No where on the website does it say that they won't take your reservation if you are on another ship. I emailed them back, and was told that they were sorry, but you have to book it through the ship.

So I am out $10 for the faxes and no Dolphin Swim. Guess I will have to wait until Cozumel in 2007.

Just a heads up guys, I tried booking the Dolphin Encounter with them directly. So I am out $10 for the faxes and no Dolphin Swim. Guess I will have to wait until Cozumel in 2007.

Hi Colleen,

Seems funny they won't take your booking, Is it the swim or the encounter you want to do because the ship only does the encounter. Which ship are you going to be on? If you are going to St. Maarten the ship does a swim excursion there. Just trying to explore other avenues, but if it is the encounter you want why not just book it through the ship before you go on RCI website.

I booked, paid for and received a confirmation from Dolphin Encounters today.

We will be there on Voyager 2/5. The RCI price is $118 pp, direct price $85. For myself and 3 kids, that's over $130 saved.

They also informed me that there will be a Dolphin Encounters rep at the pier.

Everyone takes the same boat, whether booked through RCI or direct, so I wouldn't worry about not making it back to the ship on time. If you're late, so is the RCI tour.

I booked, paid for and received a confirmation from Dolphin Encounters today.

We will be there on Voyager 2/5. The RCI price is $118 pp, direct price $85. For myself and 3 kids, that's over $130 saved.

They also informed me that there will be a Dolphin Encounters rep at the pier.

Everyone takes the same boat, whether booked through RCI or direct, so I wouldn't worry about not making it back to the ship on time. If you're late, so is the RCI tour.

Thankyou for sharing this with us. Can you please let me know when you get back how you got on because when I e mailed Dolphin Encounters direct and I was told I had to make my own way to Paradise ferry and be there at least 30 mins before. Hope everything goes fine with you and if it does I can always consider cancelling RCI and booking direct. I was aware that you take the same boat it was just the time getting from the ship to ferry if the ship was late getting into port that concerned me, and if the ship was late I would at least get a refund against no refund booking direct. Have a wonderful trip.

We are going to be on the Navigator in February and also tried booking directly. I was told the 3:00 slot is reserved for RCCL and I should reserve through them. Since the timeframe is tight, this relieves us of any stress of getting to the ship on time.

FYI - When I emailed Dolphin Encounters they informed me an observer does not need a reservation and they can join their group on the boat ride to the ferry terminal without a ticket (they just need to tell the skipper they are an observer).

Also, even though the RCCL shore exursion site does not specify pricing for children 3 and under, if you book through RCCL there is no charge for them.

Ross

Thanks Ross for this information. Makes me feel better that I would not have saved money by booking direct and your right it takes the stress out booking with the ship and who needs added stress on holiday anyway. I have booked many excursions through independents and saved but you have to assess the risks involved. Believe me I am a canny Scot who never likes paying more than I have too. You are right regarding the observor they just pay $20 which includes the boat ride out to the Island

Thankyou for sharing this with us. Can you please let me know when you get back how you got on because when I e mailed Dolphin Encounters direct and I was told I had to make my own way to Paradise ferry and be there at least 30 mins before. Hope everything goes fine with you and if it does I can always consider cancelling RCI and booking direct. I was aware that you take the same boat it was just the time getting from the ship to ferry if the ship was late getting into port that concerned me, and if the ship was late I would at least get a refund against no refund booking direct. Have a wonderful trip.

I understand your apprehension about booking. For our VOS cruise, Nassau is the first port, the daya after embarkation. Nassau is so close, I doubt that we'll be getting there late. I saw very little risk for us in booking w/Dolphin Encounters directly.

I will post about our experience when we return.

O. K. I am sure being the first port you will be all right there. Nassau is our last port on the Eastern Cruise. I have also just been told that due to the times we are in port Dolphin Encounters will only allow you to book certain time slots through the ship and our times are one of them. I think it is the 1.30 & 3.30.

Have a lovely trip and say hello to the Dolphins for me.

Archived