Calabaza or Silver Moon

Melanie H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just sailed with Calabaza last week (never been on Silver Moon so no comparison) and we had an awesome day!  Beautiful, clean boat, attentive staff with food and drinks, great snorkeling and they take pictures while you are on the tour and email you a link to download them (no extra charge).

Edited by 4boys531
  • Like 2

I echo 4boys531 thoughts above ... have done Calabazza twice and would book them again.  Great day ... great crew ... great snorkeling ... with the available pics as mentioned.  I've never been on SilverMoon, but they also get excellent reviews.  Looks like you can't go wrong with either.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, maynard123 said:

I've been on both and will say that you will have a great time on either one.  That being said the next time we are in Barbados I think we will try Silver Moon again.  Ah, memories!

Just curious why you picked Silver Moon?  I'm deciding between the two now.  Thanks!

Sorry - just saw this.  It was a very personal and selfish choice.  When we went on Calabaza we didn't know it but it was my late wife's final cruise as cancer took her within the year. However, it was at her urging that eventually I returned to cruising, but somehow it felt disrespectful to sail on a boat that has such wonderful memories.  Now I have wonderful memories on Silver Moon too.

Both operations are top notch and will do everything to make sure you have a wonderful time.  I don't think there is a bad choice either way.  

Just remember to hold the ones you love close because you never know what may rise with the sun.

I apologize for being maudlin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have done both in the past. I preferred Calabazza and wife preferred Silver Moon. So we compromised the third time and did Silver Moon again the third trip. You can't go wrong with either one. Six of one half a dozen the other. Service, food, beverage, company were all fantastic and professional on both. Pick one this time and try the other next time.    

• Like 1

I have a question for those who have done the catamaran tours.  Our ship leaves port at 5pm - if we do a catamaran tour that ends at 2 will we still be able to check out one of the distilleries?  It looks like Mount Gay closes at 2:30??  Has anyone managed to fit both the catamaran and a distillery in?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Never been on Calabaz, so can't compare the two, but we absolutely loved our Silvermoon II cruise two weeks ago.  Here's my review:

We had a fantastic day on the Silvermoon II Catamaran in Barbados on a cruise ship port stop.  We had read so many great reviews ahead of time, we were pretty sure we would love it and they even exceeded our expectations.  We had previously done land tours when visiting Barbados, so we were eager to try the catamaran, as we have never really done anything like this before.  Easy to book from their website, with all questions answered.  Originally, we booked the Silvermoon II and were notified well in advance that it would no longer be available, and we accepted the switch to the Moondance.  Once we arrived at the pier, we were told we were back on the Silvermoon II which was fine with us.  Just be aware, that they can make changes.  Other than that, everything ran perfect from the pick up at the cruise ship dock in the morning to the drop off in the afternoon. 

The catamaran is spotless and just as pictured on the website.  We loved that it is limited to only 12 people and is definitely worth the price, when you see some of the other catamarans and boats full of people out on the water.  We were with another couple, and a family of 8 that we met onboard and enjoyed sharing the day with. 

The crew was wonderful:  Luke, our excellent captain who is a wealth of info on all things Bajan;  Chris who is a fish in the water and assisted us in snorkeling and onboard the cat; and Jamar who assisted us on the cat with food and drinks and sailing.

We were greeted in the morning with an option of drinks and chose fresh pineapple juice.  Later we had a snack of fruit kabob.

We were impressed that they were able to get us quickly to the snorkeling areas as they can get busy with other boats.  We were blessed with a beautiful sunny day, with smooth seas and crystal clear waters.  Snorkel equipment is provided, but we brought our own to use, and the crew was happy to apply no-fog to our masks. We were delighted to see the green turtle who swam among us as that was one of the selling points for me!  I could see the beautiful pattern of its shell which looked like a quilt.

We also enjoyed seeing several large rays swimming in that area. 

Next on to snorkel  the shipwreck area.  We had never snorkeled shipwrecks, so again highly impressed with being so close to them to see such detail and very impressive sea life!  We viewed the Berwyn (Berwind), Bajan Queen, and the Eillon. Again, we beat the crowds, but by the time we were leaving, many were arriving.  So be sure to stay near your guide to stay safe in the water.  Chris did a great job of keeping track of us in the water.  I was bummed that my water camera had died the day before, so I couldn't get any underwater photos.  I will just have to find some on the internet. 

Once we were finished snorkeling it was time for their delicious rum punch.  Be careful, it is strong. They also offered a variety of drinks: water, soda, Barbados Banks beer, and other choices of alcohol. 

It was so relaxing to enjoy sitting out on the front deck and nets as we sailed.  When, I had enough sun, there is plenty of shade inside.  Soon it was time for a delicious Bajan buffet lunch of flying fish, chicken, salad, cole slaw, macaroni & cheese, rice and bread.  So great to try the tasty local dishes. 

While anchored we had time to jump in the water to swim and cool off.  Back on board we sailed back to their pier, while sipping a refreshing pina colada.

Such a perfect day to be pampered in style while enjoying beautiful Barbados aboard a stylish Silvermoon catamaran.  It is definitely worth the price and we would highly recommend it.  It was one of the top highlights of our 7 port cruise for sure!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 7:48 PM, Aplmac said:

I think this is Silver Moon -taken at least 5 yrs. ago

making their way out of the Shallow Draught Harbour, Bridgetown Port

SilverMoon3-39.jpg

and before the Destiny became the Sunshine!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krisco said:

and before the Destiny became the Sunshine!

Oh gosh yes...years before!

I just looked up the date this photo was taken, and it was 9th. April, 2008

and here is a companion shot!

SilverMoon-37.jpg

12 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Question....

Which of the two has LESS focus on snorkeling?  

ALSO....would it be okay if we DIDN'T do the snorkeling?

I'm sure either boat

is not concerned about what you make of your coastal cruise

and how you decide to spend your relaxing day on board, wet or dry!

Don't sweat the small stuff.

If you want to stay on board and suck down the Rum Punch

while others snorkel or just swim nearby - noooo problem!

This be island life!

Snorkellers-1291.jpg

Swim.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Question....

Which of the two has LESS focus on snorkeling?  ALSO....would it be okay if we DIDN'T do the snorkeling?

THANKS!

I've been on both, and only use my snorkle and mask while we are in the water with the turtles.  

You don't even need one then to see them, they do come to the surface, but I enjoy seeing them underwater too.

If you don't want to swim to the shipwreck and snorkle over that, you can just stay on the boat, or grab a noodle and a drink and just enjoy being in the water by the boat.  

Snorkeling, or even swimming, not at all required on either one. 

There is always someone just hanging out on the boat on every trip..  

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 2