Cruise Critic Community
portcbob

Exorbitant prices in specialty restaurants on solstice.

HI Fellow celeb cruisers. 

Going on the solstice once again in a couple of months time to New Zealand. 

Friends have just disembarked a couple of days ago and have told us the specialty restaurants have gone up in price significantly. For eg morano was $85,00 aud  dollars pp.  Has anyone else noticed huge increases pricings or could this increase be because it was a xmas cruise?????

There have been special menus on certain holidays. And a menu with wine pairings.  On our cruise on Solstice, Murano was $50 for the regular menu.

If you are keen on doing a specialty restaurant wait until you are onboard and get accosted bt waiters las you leave the oceanview café in the morning. There is a deal to be done. The onboard currency on CElebrity ships is $US and thus local currency charges may fluctuate depending upon exchange rates. We were on the Eclipse in November and got into Murano for $35 after a bit of bargaining. There is always a deal to be done in the restaurants

Might have been just because it was a xmas cruise and had special menu.  It is showing as $68.50 AUD for my March cruise.  AUD is really crap at the moment :classic_sad:  I will be waiting to get on board and getting a deal for specialty restaurants.

Thanks guys for the answers. I'll try and negotiate whilst on board then. 

ps. Even know our politicians are not good either I think we'll  stick with ours, lol.

We’ve been enjoying X’s specialty restaurants since the concept was first introduced on the M-class ships and the upcharge for Oceanliners (Murano’s predecessor) was a mere $15pp.  As X introduced more dining options, the upcharges slowly increased and eventuall packages became available for purchase. Usually, we opted for a three-night package at $110pp which we considered reasonable, although who would ever have imagined having to pay extra $$ for meals offering the quality, presentation and service previously the norm we had come to expect in the main dining room???

We are just off Reflection where the upcharge for Murano’s, Tuscan Grill and Lawn Club was $65, $60 and $60pp, respectively. Because it was a holiday sailing, no packages were available.  We were a party of seven and didn’t order anything from the bar. Those dinners cost $455, $420 and $420, plus gratuity.  All things considered, we weren’t surprised reservations were readily available and the restaurants appeared to be sparsely populated. 

Interesting, I have being thinking of buying a 3 night dining package before we sail January 14th as I like to pre-pay as much as I can. Could be worth holding off and waiting to see what  is on offer once on board?  I would just need to know before hand what the exchange rate is.

5 minutes ago, kiwichick62 said:

Interesting, I have being thinking of buying a 3 night dining package before we sail January 14th as I like to pre-pay as much as I can. Could be worth holding off and waiting to see what  is on offer once on board?  I would just need to know before hand what the exchange rate is.

If you enjoy the ‘haggle’ it may be worth waiting. There can on some cruises be restrictions on the time/days you can get bargains. For example, fewer guests tend to book Murano’s on a day which has been port intensive and more book on sea days so you are more likely to get an offer on a port day than a sea day....If you are flexible with the days/times you are willing to dine then you are more likely to get a bargain. When we cruised the South Pacific on Solstice there were lots of offers for Silk Harvest and Tuscan but non for Murano’s....There can be a lot of variation....

The bonus of a package is you do know upfront what you are paying and can on boarding see one of the M’Ds and book the restaurants you want at the times you want...As guests who don’t enjoy ‘haggling’ price we tend to find this suits us better although I am sure on some cruises other guests have dined for less than us...

Great tips thanks chemmo!  I loathe haggling too lol so my plan now is to pre-pay for Murano's. , Don't mind missing out on Silk Harvest and Tuscan though DH may be interested in getting a good price for them once we are on board.

9 hours ago, portcbob said:

Thanks guys for the answers. I'll try and negotiate whilst on board then. 

ps. Even know our politicians are not good either I think we'll  stick with ours, lol.

Watch your voyage personaliser, they regularly discount with 30% or so.

I wouldn‘t wait until on board, on our cruise on Solstice, there where no such deals.

1 hour ago, Yoshikitty said:

I wouldn‘t wait until on board, on our cruise on Solstice, there where no such deals.

Just wondering if you didn't get offered any deals....or you asked if they would offer you a discount.  Sometimes you have to be proactive....

Edited by ghstudio

Well. You won‘t get any better than 30% on normal days (sometimes 50% on the first day.)

To reply to your question: On the previous cruise, we have asked and heard ‚no‘ all the time because they where well booked. Last cruise, we booked (with 30% off) in advance to make sure that we‘d get the discount.

Silk Havest appears to be empty most of the time, Tuscany Grill a bit less - but we wanted Murano and Sushi on 5.

YMMV

Edited by Yoshikitty

14 hours ago, portcbob said:

HI Fellow celeb cruisers. 

Going on the solstice once again in a couple of months time to New Zealand. 

Friends have just disembarked a couple of days ago and have told us the specialty restaurants have gone up in price significantly. For eg morano was $85,00 aud  dollars pp.  Has anyone else noticed huge increases pricings or could this increase be because it was a xmas cruise?????

Murano has been $65 and $75pp on our last few Celebrity Cruises on Reflection and Equinox.  That was in the Caribbean.

15 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

If you are keen on doing a specialty restaurant wait until you are onboard and get accosted bt waiters las you leave the oceanview café in the morning. There is a deal to be done. The onboard currency on CElebrity ships is $US and thus local currency charges may fluctuate depending upon exchange rates. We were on the Eclipse in November and got into Murano for $35 after a bit of bargaining. There is always a deal to be done in the restaurants

I'll respectfully disagree.  Our last two trips we were On sold out sailings.  There was zero discounting of speciality dining EXCEPT the first night and Qsine (prior to Le Petit Chef).  Plenty of people On the ship were unhappy about it.  

Edited by jkgourmet

3 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Exactly how do you get notice of these discounts?  I've asked this before on CC and was told to sign up for email specials.  I did, and get nothing.  If it matters, we are not Elite, book thru a large and heavily discounted online TA, book the cheap seat cabins, and our April 2019 sailing is very close to sold out (and certainly will sail full).

16 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Agreed. We have almost always been able to get 50% off if we are flexible on the time, date and restaurant. We wait for a crew member who is walking around and hawking the restaurants by themselves. Sometimes they say no but you won't get the 50% discount if you don't ask. They are much more flexible than those who are behind a table outside Oceanview Cafe. 

We wait until on board - when they come around while you are eating in the buffet, we ask for $25 for Murano - they came back with $35.00 and we took it.  This was a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise in September 2018.  Would consider doing the 3 dinners for $110, but we have no problem with the food in the MDR, so if we don't get a discount we will not pay

7 hours ago, kiwichick62 said:

Great tips thanks chemmo!  I loathe haggling too lol so my plan now is to pre-pay for Murano's. , Don't mind missing out on Silk Harvest and Tuscan though DH may be interested in getting a good price for them once we are on board.

Not much involved in haggling, they are very receptive to giving discounts.   Just ask for 2 for one, they typically will come back with 30% to 35% off.  I've never had them just say no. They've always given us a discount when we ask. You might not get prime time seating so you need to be a little flexible with your day and time.  occasionally we've scored 50% off but 30% to 35% off is what we normally settle for.