Breakaway/Port Canaveral

IHEARTSUP14

We are traveling to Port Canaveral on the Breakaway in April.  I am looking into the Space Center excursion, but was wondering if anyone has taken an Uber and done it on their own.  How hard it is? How far is it?  Any advice is appreciated.  

We did this a bazillion years ago when we ported at PC on the NCL Majesty (now in ship heaven or South America or wherever good ships go when they die).

We rented a car from one of the many local agencies. They picked up at the port (remember it's an embarkation port for many) and drove to KSC ourselves. Filled up the car, dropped it off, and they shuttled us back to the ship. This was before the days of Uber. I just checked the Uber site and each way is going to run you about $40. I'll bet you could rent a car and have the gas for much less than $80 AND have the freedom of stopping elsewhere if you wanted to!

An unsolicited piece of advice on KSC: get there as early as possible. If you're able to be there when it opens, go directly to the space shuttle Atlantis exhibit. It gets quite busy as the day goes on. Everything else is quite easy to schedule, though the bus tours do take some time. We usually bring a protein bar with us so we can "power through" lunch time. 🙂

Now we own a timeshare that we LOVE in Cocoa Beach and so enjoy watching all the ships go in and out. I used to think it was a lame port of call, but I'd be just fine with it now...it beats so many in the Caribbean!

7 minutes ago, senoragilbert said:

We did this a bazillion years ago when we ported at PC on the NCL Majesty (now in ship heaven or South America or wherever good ships go when they die).

We rented a car from one of the many local agencies. They picked up at the port (remember it's an embarkation port for many) and drove to KSC ourselves. Filled up the car, dropped it off, and they shuttled us back to the ship. This was before the days of Uber. I just checked the Uber site and each way is going to run you about $40. I'll bet you could rent a car and have the gas for much less than $80 AND have the freedom of stopping elsewhere if you wanted to!

An unsolicited piece of advice on KSC: get there as early as possible. If you're able to be there when it opens, go directly to the space shuttle Atlantis exhibit. It gets quite busy as the day goes on. Everything else is quite easy to schedule, though the bus tours do take some time. We usually bring a protein bar with us so we can "power through" lunch time. 🙂

Now we own a timeshare that we LOVE in Cocoa Beach and so enjoy watching all the ships go in and out. I used to think it was a lame port of call, but I'd be just fine with it now...it beats so many in the Caribbean!

Thank you so much for all this valuable information.  We are a party of 6 so I am going to check into renting some minivans.  If not knowing an estimated Uber price helps as we can compare and think of ease for the whole group to stay together.  I also like the idea of not doing a bus tour, if we are on our own we may be able to be a little quicker than the tour groups and have some added time before the cruise ship crowd!  

Thank you again!

9 minutes ago, IHEARTSUP14 said:

We are a party of 6 so I am going to check into renting some minivans.  If not knowing an estimated Uber price helps as we can compare and think of ease for the whole group to stay together.  

Uber XL was $56 and change each way. That would be for 6 passengers.

May I suggest you visit the North American Homeports (Florida Departures) board? There are some extremely helpful locals on that board that may have some ideas I haven't thought of.

From our many drives up and down A1A, there is an Alamo/National, Budget, Hertz, Avis, Thrifty. The Enterprise location is too far south to be helpful, since you're headed northwest. (I just realized I didn't answer your original question very well. The drive from the port to KSC is just under 30 minutes...but it's not an exciting drive and the kids will swear it's longer.)

Another unsolicited piece of advice: perhaps the earliest-riser could be the driver, disembark and take the shuttle to rent the van, then return to the pier to pick up the other 5. We have done this for embarkation (dropped off the group, then I took the van back to the rental agency and shuttled back). Driving around the area is extremely easy, no crazy traffic, and quite well-signposted.

If KSC turns out not to be what you're looking for, please let me know. We've got some great alternative suggestions!

Edited by senoragilbert
Forgot something!