Opinions on Germaine's Luau?

elycelynne

I have never done a Luau before until on my recent cruise to Hawaii.  We picked Germaines as it was the only port we were there until late.  I am not sure what I expected however I was slightly disappointed tbh.  I am not sure if what was presented was the "norm" but it wasn't really my cup of tea.  I thought there would be more dancing and felt the crowd participation was more incorporated than the Hawaiian dancers, we spent more time cheering for the best tour guide! Food was ok although well organised.  As I say maybe this is how they are supposed to be but not for me, I guess if you have not done one before its worth a go and if I hadn't done it I would have always wondered wouldn't repeat but oimho x

On 1/6/2019 at 3:27 PM, elycelynne said:

I was just wondering if anyone who frequents this forum has been to Germaine's Luau and, if so, what did you think of it?  Worth the time and expense or not?

Yes, we've been to Germaine's Luau...and the rest of our family and relatives and friends...it is a bit overrated.

If you've never been to a luau, perhaps Germaine's may be too far, too much time, or too much money for you.  There are other affordable luau's.  They are basically the same...

A luau (Hawaiian: lūʻau) is a traditional Hawaiian party or feast that is usually accompanied by entertainment. It may feature food such as poi, Kalua pig, poke, lomi salmon, opihi, haupia and beer, and entertainment such as traditional Hawaiian music and hula.

On TripAdvisor - the discussion boards - Germaine's generally comes in last.  Caters to large groups - and there are a good handful of other luau that are much better.  

If the Polynesian Cultural Center luau is an option - take it!

So after all that I decided that maybe I really didn't want to go to a luau after all (at least not this time around).  Thanks for your input, though -- Very helpful if I ever return and decide that I want to do it in the future!